What Linux should I replace Win98 with?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
x2interactive

What Linux should I replace Win98 with?

#1 Post by x2interactive »

Hi guys,

I was given an old laptop. It is a poor machine with a Pentium III processor and 128MB of RAM. I thought of keeping it just to surf the Internet and check my emails. The laptop currently runs Win98!!! This is a sin!

So I was wondering what decent linux distro I could install that can run smoothly on 128MBs?

All suggestions are welcome!
Thanks

SirDuncan

#2 Post by SirDuncan »

Since you are on the Puppy Linux forums, I feel obliged to point out that Puppy runs on 128mb. In fact, my Gateway 2000 Solo is a 133 with 128mb of RAM and runs just fine. Well, not as fast as on my newer machines, but faster than Windows did. It might not run as well if you do a frugal install, though as that puts everything in RAM, which you don't have a lot of. I suggest a full HD install with 128mb or less of RAM. Also, make a swap file or partition (partition is probably better). It will help ease the RAM shortage.

DSL (Damn Small Linux) should also run well, but I have no experience with it.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

alienjeff

#3 Post by alienjeff »

If you like that laptop and plan on hanging on to it, seriously consider maxing out the RAM. Puppy will shine if you feed it some RAM. Look at it this way - the computer was a freebie, so investing in RAM won't hurt much. ;)
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Todd

#5 Post by Todd »

Minipup (http://www.minipup.info/) is really the best. Icepup (http://www.icepup.info/) should work nicely, but it only has a browser.

Todd

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Definitely some version of Puppy. I think it should work fine on that machine even booting from CD or a frugal install, and it would definitely fly if you doubled the ram, which would cost next to nothing here.

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Puppy 3.0b2 looks very good for this machine, but be sure to set aside a small (say ~64Mb swap partition).
If the machine has sound or anything else on an ISA or internal scsi (unlikely) bus, you will find the latest DSL 4.0rc4 excellent, too, esp. if you add Abiword.

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

ttuuxxx :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22099

" This version of puppy is Fat Free, a complete list of applications removed are on my site. Big Bass did all the hard work and has let me host this version. This Version basically gives you the freedom of choosing what you and want via your pet manager. "
////////////////////////////////////////

HairyWill

" cool
The iso is 53MB. Any idea how much ram it needs to boot? "
///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Worth a look............Chris

vattimo

#9 Post by vattimo »

Hi ..

Maybe I'm easy to please, but I have GREAT success with Puppy 2.17 Live CD on a PII, 366 mhz with 128M of RAM and a 128M swap file. I use this on a wireless network at work (The win98 on this machine won't stay connected in windows, but if I boot the Puppy Live CD I am a-ok) and when I travel it is great in hotels. Also plays downloaded mp4 public domain movies wonderfully well. Jump drives work perfectly - haven't found one yet it won't see. I transfer text files to the Puppy 3.0 (YAY!!) on my desktop (again Live CD) and print them without a problem.
I can't address how it would run off the hard drive, but the Live CD works great ... I can only guess that a hd install would be better, but I use this system to show people that they can use Puppy and keep windows (plus I demonstrate that if windows ever were to 'crap out' I can rescue files using Puppy!!!) because Puppy is so well behaved.
Have tried DSL, SLAX, BEATRIX, PCLINUXOS (All Live CD)-- None with the success of Puppy !!!

Regards,
Peter

PS -- Outperforms my co-worker's Vista laptop on the Internet, btw -- It's a little embarrassing !!!

PPS -- Haven't had time to try the laptop on Puppy 3 yet ... The laptop is running so well on 2.17 that I may keep it there -- Time will tell !!! Any feedback?