TeenPup Linux is totally unique..

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Mic67

TeenPup Linux is totally unique..

#1 Post by Mic67 »

It has almost been a year ago that I started using Puppy linux, MS Windows was not an option cost wise or computer wise as an upgrade and then you still had all the issues even if you upgraded, so what was the point? Linux was the only way to go and I had never heard of the live CD concept before as many have not. And The only experience with linux previously was red hat that never got functioning. In 10 minutes I was on the net with puppy210 GOLD.
Since that time and mostly from my windows experience Internet security was and has become my interest. It took 4-6 months but I wrote my own linux firewall and its pretty tight.

You just got to love the fact that every boot is a fresh OS when used correctly. It is like imaging a window HD setup but restores in less than 3 minutes....
It is amazing when you tell people about this they really start to think (maybe for the first time:>)

I have been using the TeenPup versions lately and this is really a unique one, the creator says that it was intended for HD installs but works the way I really wanted a live CD to work, leaves me with lots of ram to work with regardless how much is on the CD, perfect.....well done. REmastering it is easy with Dougals script, but make it as an ISO first. use a USB flash, a tower with 2 Cd drives helps. In fact I have now tried plenty of live linux distros and TeenPup is totally unique..

This is a test post with my remaster linux....

raffy

tricks

#2 Post by raffy »

That's good to hear. :) Am sure the TeenPup author and many other readers will be interested about the tricks you did in remastering TeenPup.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Hello Mic67,
I'm glad you like TEENpup. Hopefully the uniqueness will continue in the next version due very soon.
Again it's still meant as a install to HD version of Puppy and again the size has grown in the name of usability.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Mic67

#4 Post by Mic67 »

A few things about TeenPup:
John may be best to know the answers but heres what it seems.
If the machine has 3 X 128 megs of ram and NO HD, 384 ram total.
When you boot up unlike otther puppies it only loads a base system to ram and not the whole CD to ram. So with 384 ram after boot up and not having started any apps. there is about 2/3 ram left for computing. Whereas othe puppys, except Rudy, will totally load all the CD to ram. So the benefit to Teenpup is way more working ram than any other puppy. The drawback to some, but not to me is that, when you say start the browser it will take time to load that app from the CD, but this is only a one time delay - to load the app. cool thing is that when you quit that app the used ram is almost instantly freed for othe app use.

When you remaster use Dougals script - just follow the directions and when you get to the prompt that gives you the option of making and ISO do so, then make a CD from that ISO. The thing is that by using the USB flash, the ISO will be created there in a folder. The thing is that depending on how large the final CD is you will need about 2 and1/2 times the space on the USB flash -or so it seems, to be successful..... Note: use the USB flash as the working space when prompted by Dougal remaster script, but what ever space it says it needs it seems to need 2 and 1/2 the space because it seems to created both a CD and then if you choose to create an ISO it will also need the same space for that on the USB.

Now the other thing is that when you add the apps prior to remastering you will be limited to the space that you have ram for in the computer (remember no HD or swap setup here).

So if you have 200 megs of ram after boot up and you want to add 250 meg of apps, you cant. But the thing is that once you remaster you will still have the same amount of working free ram that you did before adding the extra apps becasue of the way that TeenPup works---very cool. Note: that if you want to add more apps just add the apps to your remastered CD and then remster again. So contrary to creater a HD to remaster is not necessary

So how large the CD is with apps has no consequence as to the free working ram at boot up, and only and very acceptable performance hit when starting that app. So size of the CD contents is of no matter in its usage.

Some of the small but necessary apps i added were
-IPTRAF -it sort of acts like netstat but way better
-IPSTATE - good network monitoring
-LOAD Meter which is a fast responding indicator of real CPU usage

New ones are
mrxvt 4.2 I like the tabs
torsmo or the newer version or more detailed version -most people think its convient and cool

The ability to choose larger cursors would be nice.

Cheers Mic67
This topic was intended just as a test but will repost to "Puppy Derivatives" as "TeenPup Linux is totally unique.."

jonyo

#5 Post by jonyo »

Thx for the info. I was wondering what you meant by unique & have heard alota good things about teen pup. Dloaded it awhile back & looking forward to checking it out. :)

Mic67

#6 Post by Mic67 »

Humm...
A bit more on TeenPup.
I have a test PC now P3 800mhz 384 ram and may or may not have a harddrive installed.

I did a test install of TeenPup to the HD and it was flawless, work perfect, grub and everything and it is super fast...wow. My first HD install of any puppy.

It seems that I have never been able to do a save back to a multisession CD of any puppy, but have been able to save to USB. So what I did then was save that to a 2nd CD and close it and put that in the 2nd CD drive in a tower PC and work that way until my recent remaster with Teenpup, hey at least it worked.......

For online use puppy from a CD is best.

I dont see the point of using a HD install online.

Interestingly the way that TeenPup works as a livecd is probably how I would have done a version of it, but remember that that would not be possible without Barry's Nobel Prize Genius.

Although there is room for more options, such as an option at boot up to choose whether the session shall use the remastering (or save to CD option) which then would affect the amount of ram used in the regular puppys.

Now with TeenPup it seems that the only option to include would be to pop the CD disk, while keeping the same way that the ram usage presently works - I think that would be a huge piece of work though, maybe even new Linux territory.
Not : if you use a tower with 2 CD not much of an issue, so it seems.

cheers

macadavy

Linux firewall

#7 Post by macadavy »

Mic67:
Since that time and mostly from my windows experience Internet security was and has become my interest. It took 4-6 months but I wrote my own linux firewall and its pretty tight.

Is your firewall usable by other Puppy users or is it uniquely configured for your machine/internet connection? Did you base it on iptables? rc.firewall? Would you consider making it available to the community? Please tell us more about it!
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

Mic67

#8 Post by Mic67 »

macadavy wrote
"Is your firewall usable by other Puppy users or is it uniquely configured for your machine/internet connection? Did you base it on iptables? rc.firewall? Would you consider making it available to the community? Please tell us more about it!"

Humm... in someways it is uniquely configured for my needs via regular dialup and no NAT or network card, it does not allow for sh. or printing, mostly DNS on port 53 (whcih could be configed to a specific IP address of only your dns servers) and the destination outbound port of 80 which would be the servers out there when surfing, so say someone choose to use 8080 as they some times do you would NOT get a connection to it. Although you can see that when it happens in netstat and make a rule for it. I dont use ftp because of the way the port system works and usually there is always a http option anyways.

Most of all I suggest of using only a livecd that is closed when online as a reboot ought to give you a fresh system.

Here's a link to some changes that will work with the stock puppy firewall, that is called kernel tuning which I also apply and generally are apart of any firewall but not as the rules you would see by doing
iptables -L -n -v

And these changes are set back to the default on each reboot.

The one good thing about applying this tuning is that any other computer will not be able to maintain a consistent connection to your computer for 5 days as is the default config. in linux. But only for 5 minutes which you can see by using the app. called IPSTATE.

Network - security tuning
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=127492

yes my firewall is based on iptables, well it is iptables. And is not like the script rc.firewall but more like a set of commands and rules - rather simple but rather well researched from all the available firewalls out there.

Generally I recommend "Arnos firewall" I used it and it is very good and popular good for any type of connection adsl cable dialup. You have to adjust the script but it is easy to do as there ought to be instructions by Arno.

After you apply Arnos firewall you may want to then use my kernel tuning script in the above link which would tighten any slack in Arnos firewall but give you his iptable firewall rules. And if anything breaks by doing this either reboot and run Arnos firewall script or just run Arnos firewall script again.

I think by providing my iptable firewall rules to be used by other without them being able to make adjustments to their individual needs would be counter productive. As generally linux firewall rules for the masses is so that the most thing work and the least thing break.

I really recommend using a "Host List" it really does help the anti-hacker cause google it and Arnos firewall.

Cheers.

macadavy

#9 Post by macadavy »

Mic67: Thanks so much for the firewall tutorial! Its really useful. I learned the importance of protecting my computer online when last year I stupidly started a VNC server with a weak password and in under five minutes my WinXP was totally hijacked! My firewall, antivirus and malware protection were completely disabled and even several clean reinstalls could not fix things. It was both frightening and infuriating - its like even my MBR and/or BIOS are corrupted! :cry:
I'm now running Lighthouse Puppy live CD with an encrypted save file on my harddrive. I agree using the live CD is fairly secure, at least if anything happens you have easy system restore. The reason I'm interested in firewalling is because I'm thinking of doing a frugal install when LHPuppy gets out of beta and I want things to be as secure as I can make them.
Thanks so much for your valuable contribution! :D
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]