digital camera and webcams

Booting, installing, newbie
paullecorde

digital camera and webcams

#1 Post by paullecorde »

Puppy is great. I have slowly been getting gXine to play the internet radio stations I like (once I learned to copy the address and paste it into gXine). That leaves to functions that I can do with my window pc that I can't do with puppy. Those are download pics from the digital camera and use a webcam. Has anyone had success with either of these? Do you know any linux software for cams that I could experiment with?

Thanks!!!!

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

I've got a Fuji digital camera that works fine with puppy.
Plug it into the usb, then simply mount the drive and view the pictures.

dewdrop

Digital Camera and webcams.

#3 Post by dewdrop »

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:16 pm Post subject: digital camera and webcams
Puppy is great. I have slowly been getting gXine to play the internet radio stations I like (once I learned to copy the address and paste it into gXine). That leaves to functions that I can do with my window pc that I can't do with puppy. Those are download pics from the digital camera and use a webcam. Has anyone had success with either of these? Do you know any linux software for cams that I could experiment with?

Thanks!!!!
Hi

May I suggest for the camera, the following:

If you have a USB SmartMedia Card Reader - I guess that any USB type card reader would operate just about the same.....

Anyway you might try the following step by step.

1. Take a couple of pictures with the camera that you are not worried about losing.

2. Insert the USB Card Reader in a USB slot and put the card that you've taken out of the camera into the Card Reader.

3. Go to the Puppy Menu and then to Utilities then mount/unmount drives.

4. click on the mount/unmount and wait while Puppy looks for the different drives. There will be a listing of various drives that it has found one of those should be msdos. Click on that. It should open a window and you might have to double click on whatever directory is there to actually see your pictures, but eventually you should see your pictures.

5. You should then be able to view/download your pictures into a directory of your choice in Puppy.

6. Once you have finished downloading your pictures, you can delete them from the card in the Card Reader.

7. Once you have a clean card, go back to the Puppy Menu then to the Utilities/mount/unmount drives and click on msdos again. This will unmount the drive and you can then extract your card and unplug the Card Reader from the USB connection.

About the webcam info you might like to check

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2025

I, and a developer name Rarsa, are working on getting webcams to work in Puppy. There is a bunch of instructions/and step by step attempts in that thread. Feel free to join in and try your hand at getting your webcam to work. I think we are a few days away from a final solution, but I think your participation would be welcome.

I might suggest that you log in to the Forum so you can go to the bottom of the page about the webcam testing and click on the place where it asks if you want to be notified each time a new entry is made to the thread. That way you will be notified by email each time either of us has some new info to pass along.

Dewdrop (Tester of Puppy things)