How do I boot the Live-CD without creating a pup001 file?

Booting, installing, newbie
SP

How do I boot the Live-CD without creating a pup001 file?

#1 Post by SP »

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere (I've looked in the FAQ, Wiki and searched the forum), but I would like to boot Puppy "knoppix-style", without it writing anything to the hard disk.

According to the isolinux.cfg file, there are four different boot options:

Code: Select all

default 1
DISPLAY BOOT.MSG
SAY MENU: 2 No acpi  3 Choose HD  (ENTER only or 10sec timeout for normal boot)
prompt 1
label 1
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz  PFILE=pup001-none-262144
label 2
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz acpi=off  PFILE=pup001-none-262144
label 3
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz acpi=off  PFILE=ask
label 5
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz  PFILE=cd
timeout 100 
Does "label 5" do what I want?

If not, is it possible to copy the content of my Puppy Live-CD to a folder (in windows), edit isolinux.cfg to this

Code: Select all

default 4
DISPLAY BOOT.MSG
SAY MENU: 1 Normal boot + pup001 file 2 No acpi  3 Choose HD 4 Normal boot NO pup001 file 5 Mystery option (ENTER only or 60sec timeout for normal boot)
prompt 1
label 1
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz  PFILE=pup001-none-262144
label 2
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz acpi=off  PFILE=pup001-none-262144
label 3
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz acpi=off  PFILE=ask
label 4
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz  PFILE=none
label 5
 kernel vmlinuz
 append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz  PFILE=cd
timeout 600 
burn the puppy files (user_cram.fs, goofy.16 etc.) together with the modified isolinux.cfg on a CD as usual in Nero, and have it work?

Puppy Linux is by far the best Bootable (almost)Business Card distro I've tried so far, but I can't include it in my salvage-the-files-on-my-friends-supposedly-FUBARed-computer-toolkit if I can't guarantee that it won't write to a harddrive unless told otherwise.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You don't have to modify Puppy at all to boot and run it entirely in RAM, if you are using a later version. Which version of Puppy are you trying to use? If 1.0.4, select the option that says "Choose HD" (or something like that, I can't remember exactly) and then one of the next options will be to not use the HD at all.

Even if you have a pup001 file already on the HD, you can still choose to boot without the HD. Try it out on your computer at home to see how it goes.

SP

That worked, thanks!

#3 Post by SP »

Worked like a charm. Thank you.

However, would it be possible to change the isolinux.cfg as described in my first post, or just so it'll default to option 3 (choose HD)?

PS: what do I miss out on if I run puppy linux on a laptop with acpi disabled?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I might be wrong, but I believe that if you boot Puppy 1.0.4 on a computer which has no existing pup001 file and has only NTFS on the HD, Puppy cannot create a pup001 file and so defaults to not using the HD at all. Either that or Puppy curls up in a corner and whimpers.

I don't know what happens if acpi is disabled. I wouldn't try it with the computer in my lap. :lol: Just kidding!