How do I format my Hard Drive for Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Peter Diachun

How do I format my Hard Drive for Puppy?

#1 Post by Peter Diachun »

This is the first time I have tried to post a question, so tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

I really like Puppy, but I have messed up my machine. I want to reformat the entire Hard Drive. I do not want to save anything. I want to start fresh with the best format for Puppy, which I understand to be fat 32. How do I do this? Is there a simple program either on puppy or that I can download which will allow me to format my hard drive?

Thanks!

Peter

PeterSieg

format drive

#2 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. Your post is ok.

1. You should get familiar with unix/linux. Sooner or later you will need that!

2. A hard disk needs partitions. To maintain these, open a console terminal
and run the program: cfdisk
The program should be self explanatory. Make sure the partition type matches the later format: ex.: 0B = W95 fat32
Make also sure to write the changes to the drive prior to exiting cfdisk!

3. then run mkfs.msdos <partition> ex.: mkfs.msdos /dev/hda1
This formats the 1st. primary partition on the master of primary ide interface.
Here you need two know where you hard disk is attached (watch boot screen).

At next boot, Puppy should be able to find /dev/hda1 and create the pup00x
file on it..

PS
Have fun :)

#3 Post by Guest »

If you wish to use the whole hard drive for Puppy you would be better off formatting it as an ext2 or ext3 partition as they the main Linux filesystems and Puppy is after all Linux.

To do this boot your Puppy CD and if using a later version that allows you to select if you wish to write to the hard drive or not take the option not to write to the hard drive.

Click on rxvt on the desktop and type in cfdisk and read the instructions on how to create a partition. When you have created a partition for Puppy ensure that it is type Linux native (ext2 or 83), write the changes using write.

Next step is to format the partition type in this command to do that:

mke2fs /dev/hda1

this will format the first partition as an ext2 filesystem, then proceed to the Start/Setup wizards and do a Hard drive install.

raffy

Tutorial

#4 Post by raffy »

You can find a tutorial in the link below
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

My school of thought is a bit conservative when it comes to partitioning and formatting drives.

Basically, what I do is reboot between the partitioning and formatting. Maybe its not necessary to do this. I'm not trying to suggest what is right or wrong, as much as share with you all, my approach to repartitioning and formatting drives.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

In Linux you do not have to reboot all the time.

You can create partitions and format them and do an install without rebooting.
You can also install programs without having to reboot.

Linux is not Windows.

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

WARNING!!
ian wrote:You can create partitions and format them and do an install without rebooting.
Take Ian's advice with a grain of salt:

It is a known behaviour that if you create partitions on a disk with other mounted partitions, the partition table does not get fully written until you shut down. Meanwhile it is kept into memory and you can continue working but there is always the risk of corruption. Actually you receive a warning when trying to write the partition table.

So in some cases is advisable to reboot, in some cases is not. Check the man pages for the version of the partition tool you are using (fdisk ,cfdisk, qtparted or any other you use) to confirm if you should or you should not.

I underline 'version' because different versions of the same tool may have different expectations.

You've been warned ;)

I am conservative on this regard. If I don't have any reason for not rebooting, then I prefer to do all my partitioning after booting from a liveCD that does not mount any partitions to the HDD (i.e. puppy booting with option 3). I frequently move partitions around to meet my testing needs and I haven't had any problems that way.

max

#8 Post by max »

hi, im having the same problem. i think i trashed my hdd on my old lappy, and im trying to get a clean install. it wont recognise my partition though... i keep getting the message that it is an invalid partition, but its the very same /dev /hda1 linux partition i keep making. im at a loss now, what should i do?

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Are you doing a type 2 install?

If so you could boot from CD disc, then start cfdisk in a terminal. Delete whatever partitions you want to delete, which may be all of them.

Make a primary type 83 partition for your Puppy install.

Make a primary type 82 for your swap partition.

Format the swap partition with mkswap.

Do not format the type 83 partition because Puppy will format it when it installs. Also not formatting it prevents thing like Puppy mounting the partition when you boot with the CD disc.

If you are not intending an option 2 install, disregard this post.

---------------

If you still have weird problems with the hard drive - I suggest nuke it with
Darik's Boot and Nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

max

#10 Post by max »

hey thanks for the quick reply.

could you go into depth on the mkswap, im a real newbie, and the only things i know are what ive read ont he fourms and experimened with in the past day or so.

also i dont think i can do the nuke thing, im using a rather small vaio that is without a floppy drive (the dvd drive is external even)

thanks!

#11 Post by Guest »

sorry for the double post...

i did the partitioning, and tried the mkswap command. it told me to specify a partition, so i typed "mkswap /dev/hda2" and it came up with "swap area needs to be at least 40kb, when i specificed a 300MB swap partiton...

what did i do wrong?

Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

I don't know what you did wrong - if anything.

Run cfdisk and see what it says about /dev/hda2

For details

type mkswap --help

The sequence you need to go through is:

1) make a type 82 partition
2) format it with mkswap

-------------------------

If you are doing an Option 1 install the swap partition will be used automatically

If Option 2, you will need to tell it to use the swap partition, I'll explain how later if you need help.