Which PCMCIA card for hassle-free 802.11g in Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
maleemi

Which PCMCIA card for hassle-free 802.11g in Puppy?

#1 Post by maleemi »

Which PCMCIA 802.11g cards do you guys recommend as the most hassle free for use with puppy?

I have an old Toshiba Tecra 133mhz that I'd like to get up and running with puppy and will be using it primarily to surf, email and access usergroups.

Also, Does skinny puppy have the same networking capabilites as the standard version? The tecra doesn't have a CD drive and I'll be doing the install with floppies :{ so I'm looking to install the smallest version that will still allow me to access the net.

Best Regards,

Marcel

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Which PCMCIA 802.11g cards do you guys recommend as the most hassle free for use with puppy?
Check the Hardware compatibility list on the wikki.

I use a Linksys WPC11 Ver 2.0. Puppy automatically uses the orinoco driver. I only had to configure my wireless parameters (essid, mode, key) and use the Puppy Ethernet wizard.
Also, Does skinny puppy have the same networking capabilites as the standard version?
What skinny puppy? there is a standard puppy 59 MB, a cubby puppy, and Barebones puppy 35 MB. You'll be able to access the net with all of them.

Some puppy user may have created a more stripped down version. If you use one of those, you will have to ask the creator of that particular remaster.
The tecra doesn't have a CD drive and I'll be doing the install with floppies
Can you get the ISO (or the files inside the iso) down to that computer any other way? The manual HDD installation is not that difficult, It involves copying some files over and installing the Bootload manager (grub)

e.g. If you already have windows or FreeDOS or any other OS there, even if you want to get rid of it, you could just do the following

- Copy the required files vmlinuz, usr_cram.fs, etc to c:\
- Install the boot loader
- Delete all the windows files.

This is in a nutshell of course. There are detailed instructions somewhre in the wikki.

#3 Post by Guest »

I think that Laptop may only support 16 bit pcmcia cards not 32 bit CardBus cards so that rules out 802.11g. You may have to search ebay for a 16 bit wireless card and then your speeds may only be aroud 1-4Mbps.

maleemi

#4 Post by maleemi »

Check the Hardware compatibility list on the wikki.

I use a Linksys WPC11 Ver 2.0. Puppy automatically uses the orinoco driver. I only had to configure my wireless parameters (essid, mode, key) and use the Puppy Ethernet wizard.
I checked out the wikki but it doesn't indicate if the listed cards are 802.11b or 802.11g. I was hoping someone with a "g" setup could let me know what worked for them

I have an old WPC11 but it's a "b" and i've been spoiled by the increased perfomance of "g" cards.

Best Regards,

Marcel

maleemi

#5 Post by maleemi »

bladehunter wrote:I think that Laptop may only support 16 bit pcmcia cards not 32 bit CardBus cards so that rules out 802.11g. You may have to search ebay for a 16 bit wireless card and then your speeds may only be aroud 1-4Mbps.
My Tecra 500 was built after the CardBus 32bit standard was proposed but before it was officially ratified. It has an Ad Hoc PCMCIA 32 bit BIOS setting that has worked fine with my 32bit 3Com 10/100BT card.

I'm hoping it'll also work with a 802.11g card and I'd like to hear from folks who have a PCMCIA 802.11g card up and running with their puppy setup.

Best Regards,

Marcel

#6 Post by Guest »

Any card based on the Atheros chip set (madwifi). Check out the wikki for supported hardware. I use a DWL-G630 and it works better under Puppy than Windows. There has been plenty of discussion on the forums as to what works, have a look, saves having to repeat stuff over and over again.