Textmaker help file unreadable

Please post any bugs you have found
SkyPilot

Textmaker help file unreadable

#1 Post by SkyPilot »

This is a very small land simple problem, I'm sure, but when I try to look at the Textmaker help file (from Menu -> Help), it's scrambled, like when I try to view a proprietary document file format in ASCII. It's probably nothing important at all, but if Barry is going to include Textmaker in 1.0.5, maybe it could be cleared up for newbies?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Hmm, don't know why that is.
I just clicked on the help file from Rox, it's a PDF file, and it opens nicely in Gsview.

Okay, just tried it from the Help menu. When click on the Textmaker entry, it asks if want to open in default application Ghostview, I answer yes, and it opens perfectly.

...that's the Puppy Help menu. Don't know about the Help menu inside Textmaker as don't have it installed.

SkyPilot

#3 Post by SkyPilot »

Barry,

You're right, clicking on the file from Rox brings up Gsview just fine - no problem. However, on my computer (Dell Inspiron 2650 1.5gHz), going into the Help area from Menu, brings up your file in Dillo. Clicking on "Textmaker Free Edition" makes Dillo try to load and display it as if it's a regular html file.
Am I doing something wrong, or is this just an annoying glitch that should be ignored?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Ah, right. Dillo has many limitations, and mime handling is one of them. In other words, I don't think there is any way to tell Dillo to open a PDF file with an external reader -- maybe I'm wrong and a Dillo-expert can correct me.

I'm using Pup 1.0.5alpha2, which has gtkmoz as the html viewer, which is based on Mozilla, and does refer the pdf file correctly to Gsview.

#5 Post by Guest »

Barry,

Yep, looking at the help file in the /usr/share/doc brings up the PDF viewer. However, I downloaded 1.05.rc (looks wonderful, by the way) - and had the same thing happen. From the "help" icon, going to Textmaker (which I installed from the pupget package wget) Free Edition, and Dillo tries to load it again.
I know this is a very small thing, but is there some file association that I should be setting somewhere?