Neomagic video card issues / how to use XFree86

Booting, installing, newbie
sam

Neomagic video card issues / how to use XFree86

#1 Post by sam »

Hi community!

This is my first post here - and Puppy Linux my first Linux OS! Puppy looks great and just seems to be the exactly right OS for my old Dell notebook.

Installation on USB stick was smooth. However, I have a video driver issue - Neomagic video card - green fuzzy screen. I found a thread where Bladehunter provided a distribution with XFree86 which should resolve the issue. However, the link is dead. Where can I get it? Or is it already included in distribution 1.0.4? If yes, how do I enable it?

cheers

samuel.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Hi,

the XFree-Puppy is not supported and hosted any more.
But there is a Dotpup for the Xorg-Xserver:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2303

Mark

sam

#3 Post by sam »

Hi

thanks. But... what is 'Dotpup'?
Problem is, I barely can't recognise anything on the screen, so I couldn't configure anything (ethernet network connection and so on). Thus, a distribution with the video drivers included is almost mandatory...

sam.

#4 Post by Guest »

Dotpup:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/dpup

I think in your case I would do this:
Run Puppy on a PC with internet-connection and working grafics-card.
Install the "mc" and the Xorg-Dotpups.

Copy pup001 to you notebook.
Reboot, hit "CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to exit X.
Edit xorg.conf to use the module that supports your graficscard (anyway I don't know if it is supported).

Normally mot graficscard work with Puppys Xvesa at least with 640*480 pixel and 256 colors.
So Xorg just should be used to be able to access high-resoution modes, if they don't work with Xvesa (or if you need support for a second monitor or other things).

If your Graficscard doesn't even support minimal Xvesa, it might be incompatible with puppy.

Mark

#5 Post by Guest »

The problem with that is that the console screen is screwed up as well even after exiting X with the NeoMagic (Evil cards).

The solution.......Delete you pup001 file

Reboot

When Puppy asks for the keymap hit ctrl c

then

#mp /etc/profile

and comment out the line that has xwin, it's about the third or fourth line from the end.eg

xwin

becomes
#xwin

Can dotpups be installed without the GUI ?

BTW Puppy will just boot to console with xwin commented out[/code]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

bladehunter wrote:Can dotpups be installed without the GUI ?
interesting question, and one i have thought of a number of times

most dotpups are easy-to-use one-click installers ... they have simple gui user interfaces, often xmessage or Xdialog boxes

but they could also work in a quiet auto-install mode ... if the installer doesn't need a user response, it doesn't need X either

anything like this requires that the dotpup script has this capability written into the script by the dotpup creator ... which makes it more complex

a script can easily check the DISPLAY variable to see if X is running

a dotpup could also have a curses user interface ... it might use dialog instead of Xdialog ... again, it would have to be witten in the script by the dotpup creator ... which can of course be done ... the dotpup handler is very simple and minimal, all it does is unzip, check the md5sums, and run the dotpup script, which does all the work

in this particular case, a small script could automatically download and run an xorg installer ... very much like a dotpup, but not a dotpup ... it could be built into Puppy, so a user could just type something like install-xorg ... assuming they could setup an internet connection without the gui wizard ... or it might look for the package where pup001 is located

anyway, i have thought of auto-install-mode dotpups, but i have not implemented any ... the main idea behind a dotpup was that rox would run any file with a pup extension with the dotpup handler, so a person could download and click a dotpup, and it would automatically work without needing to understand tar or permissions etc etc, which basically means using rox and gui's and X

MU

#7 Post by MU »

I must rwewrite my dotpup-wizard this weekend, and will try to add support for dialog.
Dialog seems to be part of puppy 1.0.5.RC.

Greets, Mark

rarsa

#8 Post by rarsa »

Of course DotPups can be installed from the console.

Here is what you do (items between angle brackets whould be replaced with the actual name):

Code: Select all

unzip <dotpup>.pup
sh dotpup.sh
for example

Code: Select all

unzip mrxvt.pup
sh dotpup.sh
This should work except in cases where the dotpup.sh execute xdialog or xmessage or any other utility that requires X.

I appologize in advance if there is a mistake on my instructions, I am currently at the office and doing them from memory

MU

#9 Post by MU »

I replaced the installer.
It detects if X is not running, and switches to cdialog then.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2303

Mark

peppyy

#10 Post by peppyy »

nstallation on USB stick was smooth. However, I have a video driver issue - Neomagic video card - green fuzzy screen. I found a thread where Bladehunter provided a distribution with XFree86 which should resolve the issue. However, the link is dead. Where can I get it? Or is it already included in distribution 1.0.4? If yes, how do I enable it?
Hi Sam, I have/had 3 laptops witho neomanic video. One works great, one works only with xfree and the other is inbetween. The one that will boot to 1.0.4 will only display correctly at one resouloution. Have you tried the wizard and all the settings yet? I had fuzzy green on one setting and clear as a bell on another.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

sledmouth

Xneomagic?

#11 Post by sledmouth »

Could Xneomagic (like Xvesa) be used rather than big Xorg? Could someone possible compile this and create a DotPup for it???