Softare selection

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
KevOB

Softare selection

#1 Post by KevOB »

Music software:
I have tried Rosegarden - if you seriously want to work with notation it is very convoluted. It can probably do more than is obvious but a great deal of learning seems needed. The documentation is of little help.

There is a windows program 'Noteworthy Composer' which is being reported to work under Wine on the Noteworthy Forum. I do extensive work with it under windows and it is simple to use for anything from a song to a symphony. It reads and writes midi as well. To those who need such a tool it is inexpensive too with a free download. Another bonus the program is under a megabyte in size. If this can be got working as a standard feature, go with it as an optional item prepackaged for installation. The small registration cost is justified as we have no open source equivalent. My wife and I do music publishing.

Video editing software
No one tells you how to do anything so I have been systematically testing and learning. Cinelerra is the biggie and has proved unstable in many trials. I have just got it working in PCLinuxOS. It does not stand alone either. It would be a good project to seriously get it working.

Mplayer has some hidden features: It can extract the VOB files from a DVD to a single VOB which Avidemux can convert so Kino can read them. I have been able to cut a slice out of a DVD that way. These three at least should be included. I will comment on DVD creation software when I have built a finished product.

Gxine : I would not like to lose that; it always seems to work. I don't have any problem keeping Seamonkey although I prefer Opera.
It is essential that we can play CD's, DVD's, Wav and MP3's without fuss.

Esword: I have had this working well in Puppy. It has a large numbers of Bibles available including the Amplified. The latter is sold as a module which is installed like the others. Also there are many other downloadable modules apart from Bibles.

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

have you ever ran top at the command line to see how much resources seamonkey uses it is bad very bad...try it out yourself and an old pentuim 2 with 64mb ram it load eventually but is so slow it lock the PC down... think twice before you give bad software teh OK not bad cause it don't work but bad because it is not good...seamonkey is well lets call it bloated
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30