How to Rip a Single Chapter from a DVD?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ozboomer

How to Rip a Single Chapter from a DVD?

#1 Post by ozboomer »

I'm not really sure what I'm doing(!)... but I have a DVD that I'm trying to rip using pupdvdtool. I've had a look through the forum for any info but came up with nothing.

vobcopy reports that the DVD has one title and 42 chapters... but all I want to do is rip one specific chapter, not the entire DVD (title).

Is there a way this can be done with pupdvdtool... or should I be looking at using something else?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

As far as I'm concerned a movie DVD is more akin to a data disc than a music disc. Meaning you can mount it and copy the desired file over using any number or file management tools.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Do you want to make a DVD with just the one chapter, that will play in a regular set-top box DVD player?

I don't really know anything that could help you, I'm just curious, and trying to clarify your problem too. :)

ozboomer

#4 Post by ozboomer »

Actually, it's a music instructional DVD. I'm trying to 'extract' the one 'lesson' so I can (hopefully!) have, like an .MPG or something that I can have the .MPG on the computer and I can load it into a software media player of some sort and loop it between two points, so I can learn how to play this one part of a song.

I doubt I'll be doing any burning or anything... but if it comes to me having to extract the whole DVD to one .MPG file, I'd guess I'd use ffmpeg or something to extract just the portion I want to use.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Yeah, but, what you posted doesn't cause me to think its in a music format. That you have a data disc which can be mounted.
vobcopy reports that the DVD has one title and 42 chapters... but all I want to do is rip one specific chapter, not the entire DVD (title).
Here's the tree output of a movie DVD mounted on /mnt/cdrom (oh well that's where I mounted it)

[/mnt/cdrom] tree
|-- audio_ts
|-- files
| |-- go.exe
| `-- weblink.dxr
|-- jacket_p
| |-- j00___5l.mp2
| |-- j00___5m.mp2
| `-- j00___5s.mp2
|-- mac_clickme
|-- mac_clickme.bin
|-- mac_clickme.hqx
|-- mac_clickme.sitx
|-- pc_clickme.exe
`-- video_ts
|-- video_ts.bup
|-- video_ts.ifo
|-- video_ts.vob
|-- vts_01_0.bup
|-- vts_01_0.ifo
|-- vts_01_0.vob
|-- vts_01_1.vob
|-- vts_01_2.vob
|-- vts_01_3.vob
|-- vts_01_4.vob
|-- vts_02_0.bup
|-- vts_02_0.ifo
|-- vts_02_0.vob
|-- vts_02_1.vob
|-- vts_03_0.bup
|-- vts_03_0.ifo
|-- vts_03_0.vob
|-- vts_03_1.vob
|-- vts_04_0.bup
|-- vts_04_0.ifo
|-- vts_04_0.vob
|-- vts_04_1.vob
|-- vts_05_0.bup
|-- vts_05_0.ifo
|-- vts_05_0.vob
|-- vts_05_1.vob
|-- vts_06_0.bup
|-- vts_06_0.ifo
|-- vts_06_0.vob
|-- vts_06_1.vob
|-- vts_07_0.bup
|-- vts_07_0.ifo
|-- vts_07_0.vob
|-- vts_07_1.vob
|-- vts_08_0.bup
`-- vts_08_0.ifo

4 directories, 46 files
[/mnt/cdrom]

If it weren't a data disc, I couldn't have mounted it, let alone run tree on it. Yet all the music and videos are contained in the files listed.

Sorry, I'm still of the opinion (based on your vobcopy output), that you are dealing with a similar structured disc. That it is a data disc, can be mounted and files copied off it.

For testing and additional verification you can:

Try running vobcopy on a music cd and see the difference in output

Try mounting the dvd and see if it can be mounted.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

A DVD is a data disk, that much I know. Its file format is called Universal Disk Format, or UDF.

ozboomer

#7 Post by ozboomer »

Ok, a few discoveries here...

a) Yes, simply mounting the DVD lets me get to the .vob files directly, which I can copy and play directly with Gxine. So that solves my initial question, thanks.

I'm guessing the rest of this belongs in other threads but all this stuff is so intertwined(!)...

b) I would normally use ffmpeg to 'extract' a segment of video from an .MPEG or .avi or whatever format file. Trying this with the .vob files copied to a local hard disk, ffmpeg reports a few errors (in both v2.17 and v3.01):

i) As soon as ffmpeg starts, the message 'Compiler did not align stack variables.' is displayed. I've seen this in a few Linuxes and may not be a Puppy issue, per se.

ii) When processing .vob video files (which I've not done before), the message 'No acclerated IMDCT transform found.' is displayed. I have no idea what the impact of this is.

iii) On playback of the extracted video segment, the audio lags the video display by more than half a second (estimated).

At the moment, I've rolled-back my frugal install on my main Linux PC to v2.17, as Gxine seems to behave better there (it might have the trashed display but at least it doesn't randomly hang all the time).

For info of those interested...

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

I think the errors are warnings. But I cold round up a different library for the Compiler did not align stack variables message.

How about comparing arguments? Here are my defaults for flv files. I haven't tried the vobs but would be happy to do it and see if we can come up with something optimum

ffmpeg -i $1 -qscale 1 -ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 3600 $2

where $1 is infile and $2 is outfile
Last edited by Bruce B on Sat 20 Oct 2007, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

I think gxine plays better in Xvesa, do you?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

ozboomer wrote:... iii) On playback of the extracted video segment, the audio lags the video display by more than half a second (estimated).
MPlayer allows you to adjust the audio delay. I couldn't find such a control in Gxine.
At the moment, I've rolled-back my frugal install on my main Linux PC to v2.17, as Gxine seems to behave better there (it might have the trashed display but at least it doesn't randomly hang all the time)...
I found the same thing, Gxine works better in 2.17 than 3.0.

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

Gxine can sync the A/V settings in the GUI

And

In its configuration file.

If the sync seems consistently off, first determine the correction value using the GUI, once that's learned, you can edit the config file for permanent corrected settings.
Attachments
av-sync.png
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 1515 times

ozboomer

#12 Post by ozboomer »

Bruce B wrote:I think gxine plays better in Xvesa, do you?
In general, I think that's true...
Bruce B wrote:Gxine can sync the A/V settings in the GUI...
Yes.. but the 'out-of-sync' thing seems to be something to do with the 'segment' created by ffmpeg. Other video files (including the large .vob file from which the segment was selected) play Ok and don't need any adjustment... so the GUI settings will help to view the segment but I think the real problem is in how ffmpeg creates the file.

As far as my usage of ffmpeg is concerned, I really have very little idea about the hundreds(?!) of options available in ffmpeg... but the following would normally work on most anything 'conventional' (MPEG, avi, asf, ...):

Code: Select all

# ffmpeg -i CHAP.vob -sameq -b 80000 -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -acodec mp3  segment.avi
Anyway, I think we're getting somewhere... slowly... :)

Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

The out of sync thing on the command line is different that the gxine sync i mentioned. has something to do with a library file supposed compiled wrong. I'll have to wait til I see it again.

I've never tried to transcode a vob file, but I think Mplayer has builtin save to file options.

I was surprised to see that you didn't seem to have deCSS problems.

Yes, the learning curve for this kind of stuff is time consuming.

Something that may interest you is here:

http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode

No reason we can't keep the topic open and add what we learn to it from time to time.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

I'm not really sure what I'm doing(!)... but I have a DVD that I'm trying to rip using pupdvdtool. I've had a look through the forum for any info but came up with nothing.

Is there a way this can be done with pupdvdtool... or should I be looking at using something else?
    Well I use handbrake with puppy which allows encoding of selected chapters only....there are other similar apps too.
    http://handbrake.m0k.org/

It's a precompiled binary though the versions 0.9+ need glibc 2.4 so may not work...

mike

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

Mike,

Thanks for the HandBrake tip and link.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

I downloaded it and extracted the tarball, it contains only one large file, which is sorta cool having it all in one file.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/?article=download

It is a totally CLI app which seems fine with this list of posters. I ran it with the --help switch and it didn't complain about any missing dependencies.

Bruce

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

it didn't complain about any missing dependencies
    Was asking for glibc 2.4 though I am use it with puppy 2.12.

Yes it is neat...I made a simple bash script for it though perhaps someone might like to make something more sophisticated....there is a gui for windows and mac but not linux.

mike

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

mikeb wrote:
    it didn't complain about any missing dependencies
    Was asking for glibc 2.4 though I am use it with puppy 2.12.

Yes it is neat...I made a simple bash script for it though perhaps someone might like to make something more sophisticated....there is a gui for windows and mac but not linux.

mike
    I'm using 2.17 and it didn't ask for glibc 2.4 when I typed in --help. Typically an app would complain at that point, so I'm presuming its good to go.

I'd love to see the script.

As for GUI, my avitar is a command prompt for a reason. It's not that I enjoy typing so much, its that I can write aliases and scripts and functions to make things soo much easier, faster and in many cases do things that can't be done with any GUI program.

Plus using a mouse requires a level of fine dexterity that the keyboard doesn't require, making life a little easier for me.

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Ok my (very) basic script attached...simply simplifies creation of the command line and has the option to scan the dvd first ...

assumes binary is at /usr/local/handbrake/HandBrakeCLI and dvd is at /dev/cdrom.....set for xvid and lame...can easily be modded to suit personel preferences/more options.

mike
    Attachments
    handbrake_script.zip
    (920 Bytes) Downloaded 230 times

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

An improved gtk simple gui...handbrake outputs to stderr just to be awkward....Xdialog output is a bit messy as yet till I find a way of dealing with the console based output which backspaces.
    Place it and HandBrakeCLI in somewhere like /usr/local/bin....
    mike
    Attachments
    handbrake_gui.tar.gz
    (1.04 KiB) Downloaded 241 times