Need SATA support for Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
redkoolaid

Need SATA support for Puppy

#1 Post by redkoolaid »

I've been following puppy since 1.0.2, and have as of yet not needed to ask for any assistance, as everything is fairly straightforward, even for a linux newbie such as myself.

I'm booting off of a IOMEGA 80G USB harddrive, with the wake-pup floppy for machines that don't boot off usb natively, and a cd built by me to boot when no floppy drive is accessable

problem is, I cannot get sata drives to mount, and I know very little about this, but I was following several threads about custom kernels for sata and sata support in other ways, but the few that seemed pertinent either died out or veered into other topics, so I've yet to find a usable answer.

I will be moving this from machine to machine, under different hardware sets (something pup has done exceedingly well ignoring its limitations with sata) so I will need the most broad form of sata support availible. Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks guys
OOOOOH YEAAAAAH!

#2 Post by Guest »

So far as I know this topic died and haven't heard anything else about it, so for the moment I'd say you're stuck.

redkoolaid

#3 Post by redkoolaid »

Well, if anyone is feeling helpful/brave I'm listening.

I have some novice c++ experience a 1.5 meg line and alot of time to try and make this a reality.

Too many sata drives around here for me to give up that easily :P

thnx again.
OOOOOH YEAAAAAH!

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

I never could get full sata support buiolt into the kernel. what I did do, was add the sata mdoules for my Silicone chipset to Puppy's /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and I can see all my sata drives.

Of course, I am usng just the system with my particular sata controller, so you would need the modules for each type of controller that you think you would be using.

For my system, I pulled the libata and sata_sil modules from the full modules set that Barry has on ths site. The file name is modules-2.4.29-complete,tar.gz.

I extracted and gzipped these modules to Puppy and they worked.

A while ago, one of the experts was looking at the kernel for me, but either I lost track of the thread, or it got left behind. The idea was to have the modules built into the kernel at boot.

I'll have to look up the thread again and see where it was left off.

P.S. I found it here.

Bladehunter, any chance you can look at it? I'll be willing to do anything that you suggest!
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

redkoolaid

Thanks

#5 Post by redkoolaid »

thanks for all your help, this will help alot for now but I am still dealing with a wide array of different machines so any help with the kernel would be greatly appreciated thanks for your help.

Let me know anything I can do to move this along.

Thanks again
OOOOOH YEAAAAAH!

RobbieG

VIA VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller

#6 Post by RobbieG »

I have a VIA VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller for my 2 SATA hard drives. When I try to mount drives in puppy, these are not listed; only my external FAT32 USB hard drive is listed. viaarena.com only has windows drivers for this. Is this something that I can easily get working? Or is puppy at a point where this would be difficult/take someone with a lot of knowledge a lot of work?

RobbieG

Re: VIA VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller

#7 Post by RobbieG »

RobbieG wrote:I have a VIA VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID controller for my 2 SATA hard drives. When I try to mount drives in puppy, these are not listed; only my external FAT32 USB hard drive is listed. viaarena.com only has windows drivers for this. Is this something that I can easily get working? Or is puppy at a point where this would be difficult/take someone with a lot of knowledge a lot of work?
I found a thing called dmraid:
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html
(download from here:
http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/ )

Is this a solution I could easily use? I really don't understand it at all.