Broadband internet connection over Puppy Linux

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
anilvaloor

Broadband internet connection over Puppy Linux

#1 Post by anilvaloor »

Is it possible to connect to internet over broadband using a brodband modem? I have a broadband internet connection which has 2mbps speed. I would like to know whether the same can be used on Puppy?
Will it support dial up modems?

ol_smokey

#2 Post by ol_smokey »

I'm running on a Blueyonder (Telewest Cable / Virgin Media) broadband line. The Puppy connection wizard picked everything up OK. I'm sure people have had success with dial-up and they'll be along soon to confirm.

ol_smokey

shankargopal

#3 Post by shankargopal »

It depends on what modem you have and how you connect to it: i.e. using a network cable or a USB cable. If you are using a network cable, definitely. If you are using a USB cable, almost definitely, though you may have to do some tweaking. In any case a network cable is more reliable.

If you are in India, by any chance, I am too, and I am running Puppy just now just fine on an Airtel broadband connection and have done so before on MTNL and BSNL ones. If you need instructions, just let me know.

anilvaloor

#4 Post by anilvaloor »

Thanks guys...

shankargopal, I am in India and I use BSNL broadband (Dataone) with a modem and USBcable. Can you tell me how to configure it. Actually I havent moved to Puppy but want to move very badly. So it will be very helpful for me if you kindly let me know the details. Thanks-

shankargopal

#5 Post by shankargopal »

Anil,

Welcome to the world of Puppy! I've been using Puppy as my daily working desktop since Dec 2005 and never looked back.

Ok, if you need to configure a BSNL USB modem, here are some steps that should work. Note that Puppy only got the required modules for these modems some time after 2.13 - I think 2.14, maybe? - and I've only used them with 2.17 and 3.00. So better to get one of the latter. These instructions are for 3.00; small change necessary for 2.17, can tell you if need be. These are the instructions that should always work, though not necessarily the fastest.

1. Make sure modem is plugged in and turned on.
2. In the Setup menu in Puppy, open "Network Wizard."
3. You should see a list of interfaces in the "interface" box (if you don't see any, don't worry).
4. Click on "Load module."
5. In the window that opens, click on the "More" tab on top.
6. Click on 'Specify" (it's possible "Auto-probe" would work, but not sure).
7. In the small box that comes up, type "cdc-ether" (without the quotes).
8. It should say "module cdc-ether loaded successfully." Click OK.
9. It should pop a box saying a new interface has been found. Say "Save."
10. When you are back in the main window, under Interfaces, a new button should be present (saying something "eth1" - number will vary). Click it.
11. Choose "Auto DHCP."
12. After a pause, you should get the "Network Configuration Successful" window. Click 'Yes" to save the configuration.

And you're on the Internet. It's not as complicated as it looks, and you only have to do it once - after that the settings will be saved. You may occassionally have to go into Network Wizard and ask it to DHCP again in case you lose the connection.

Finally if you are using a USB cable, a good idea is to switch to an Ethernet cable if you can - the connection is much more reliable and easier to configure both in Puppy and on other operating systems. Your modem probably has an ethernet port - you can get an Ethernet cable (network cable) easily in most cities; a short cable will be less than Rs. 100.

Configuring an Ethernet connection in Puppy is as simple as choosing the interface that it's plugged into, and choosing "Auto DHCP."

anilvaloor

#6 Post by anilvaloor »

Thanks Shankar,
looks interesting. Good to here from you that you are using it for a long time. Could you tell me which version of puppy is best to use for a newby like me (i dont have much expereince with linux).
Thanks-

anilvaloor

#7 Post by anilvaloor »

Shankar,
my modem does not have ethernet port. i am using a modem provided by Etilasat, UAE which i got from one of my cousine who is working there. i am planning to get a new modem with ethernet port.
thanks for your reply... :-)

DavidBell

#8 Post by DavidBell »

anilvaldoor

This worked for my Thomsom 536 modem (on the USB outlet).

In terminal ...

Code: Select all

modprobe cdc-ether
modprobe usbnet
Then run the Network Wizard -> Connect Network Interface, it will have added eth1, click this then auto DCHP.

Worked for me anyway, you can put the code in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it happens at boot for you.

DB

miscos

#9 Post by miscos »

To add above, if you are using BSNL/VSNL broadband and you want to assign the IP address manually to your network card, go for manual and fill the IP address for your computer anything from 192.168.1.X , X= 2 or >2, any other number, which is unique in your network. Gateway to be 192.168.1.1 and dns servers will be diff for VSNl and BSNL ( if you do not your aervice provider's dns servers, juts call and ask the helpdesk). Save settings and enjoy!
mishra

cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

Don't forget to enable the firewall.

Chris

anilvaloor

#11 Post by anilvaloor »

Hello everybody.

I entered the world of Puppy...at last. Its great and very much userfriendly. And fast too.

But I was not able to configure my broadband internet connection. Mine is a "Aztech" USB broadband modem which doent have ethernet port.
I tried to configure the Network by going to Network wizard --> Load module--> specify --> then gave cdc-ether there. It showed the module added susscessfully but then showed no interface added.

Then I tired auto probing, it showed some other module but failed in getting an interface.

Then I tried to use interface eth0 and Auto DHCP. But it didnt worked.

Do I have to install any drivers or plugins to get it done. Mine is a Aztech modem.

Friends, please please help me to resolve it. As without internet I cant proceed much with Puppy and I dont want to miss it.

Please friends, helpme.