Time theft on the wiki

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Time theft on the wiki

#1 Post by Lobster »

Someone has (inadvertently I imagine) - probably a dial up user, stripped the first 11 days of the wiki news for September 2005 - probably too many pics - too slow loading. Or it might be some foolish mistake by one of the editors - me most likely . . . :oops:

They will be about somewhere if anyone wants those days back . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

lol

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

LOL, was'nt me! But at least somebody probably you fixed it!!
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

#3 Post by Guest »

That's probably a bug of Wikka Wakka Wiki :(
If you look at the page history:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/LatestNews/history

And the revisions:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/LatestNews/revisions

2005-09-24 07:54:55 by CrustyLobster [Lobster Pawcast] news gone again
2005-09-24 06:33:56 by GuestToo [restore days 1-11] news restored
2005-09-24 05:56:27 by CrustyLobster
2005-09-24 05:52:33 by CrustyLobster [Dvw86 creates his first PawCasting] news gone
2005-09-24 01:03:53 by KlhRevolutionist [klh. dvw86 goodnight!!!] 1st 11 days of news still there

puppian

#4 Post by puppian »

It's me above :oops:
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

yes, you (Lobster) deleted the bottom of the wiki page
i fixed it but you deleted it again

it is very easy to do, and has happened a few times on the dotpups pages ... i did it myself once (maybe twice)

it's very easy to roll back a wiki page and get it back the way it was

at the bottom of the wiki page will be something like:
Edit page :: Page History :: 2005-09-24 07:54:55

if you click Edit Page you can edit the page

if you click Page History, it will show you what was recently added and what was deleted and by who and when

if you click the time/date link, like 2005-09-24 07:54:55, it will show you a list of the saved wiki pages, so you can go back to a previous version ... just click the version you want to go back to, click Edit This Version, and save that version ... that's all you have to do to roll back to an earlier version

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Why is it we have to find out the fine points of editing the wiki here in the forum? :?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

does not make sense . . .
I am not doing anything strange or different - what can be causing me to inadvertently delete part of a wikki page?

What did you do GuestToo that was causing the delete?
- yes I could roll back but the delete should not be occuring? I wonder what the bug is?

Anyone know?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

i don't think it's a bug, but it might be ... i think it might be human error with copying/pasting (accidently selecting text to the end of the page instead of just a few lines of text)

it's easy to leave out the end part of a url or bold or itialics and screw up everything past that point ... whenever i edit a wiki page, i always preview it first, until it looks right, and i especially look at the bottom of the page to see if it looks ok (not cut off, not all bold or italic text, etc etc) ... because it is easy to do, i've done it myself

J_Rey

#9 Post by J_Rey »

I asked on the Wikka IRC channel & only one guy responded, but he didn't think that Wikka would have a limit to the text/images. It seems to be automatically done when Lobster is adding something to the top, the content on the bottom is removed. This problem was happening with the August news, so that's why I split them in two. My guess is that all the embedded images are taking up too much space or something and causing something somewhere to make some room for them. We could try linking to them instead or just split the September News up like I did last month. I'll let someone else make the call or if nobody does anything then I'll get around to it sometime.

raffy

Could be the editing box

#10 Post by raffy »

The editing box uses Javascript (from the formatting buttons). If you look at the Wikka home pages, there is a link to this editing tool - a good place to start in trying to understand these constraints in editing...

I still say that we can remove that tool in the Wiki...

Making links in the Wiki is simple anyway:

[[Link or WikiPage Linked Text]] - use link or PageName <space> Link text inside double brackets

Formatting:

==Header==
**Bold**
//italics//
_underline_

- list, unnumbered
1) numbered list

These are all available in help and are easy to remember.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

J_Rey wrote:I asked on the Wikka IRC channel & only one guy responded, but he didn't think that Wikka would have a limit to the text/images. It seems to be automatically done when Lobster is adding something to the top, the content on the bottom is removed. This problem was happening with the August news, so that's why I split them in two. My guess is that all the embedded images are taking up too much space or something and causing something somewhere to make some room for them.
Ah thanks J Rey - yes I noticed that - many thanks - I thought it was for people with modems who might find the page too slow . . . now I know why it was done BUT I must admit I did not notice it (probably did not scroll to look at the whole page)
What is happening is exactly that, I edit the top and the bottom dissapears . . . Not my error this time . . . though it is possible that G2's explanation is what is happening . . . a split seems to solve it. The page has a lot of edits (being news) and there may be some limit on the number of edits set somewhere . . . something like that . . . the only other person who has started doing News edits is klhrevolunist - more editors welcome - I tried to stop duplication of effort by combining main news and the wikka news but Barry preferred them seperate - so OK for now. More editors always welcome - I usually take out Kenny Revolutionists "!!!!!" What is that about????????

So there we have it !!!!!!!!
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

puppian_guest

#12 Post by puppian_guest »

WikkaBugs:
http://wikka.jsnx.com/WikkaBugs

That's really a long page :) and these sections maybe of interest (press "Ctrl F" to search within page) :

Indenting not working properly in handlers/page/edit.php
Wakka formatter: Indenting on first line
Yet more formatter bugs
List parsing bug?

J_Rey

#13 Post by J_Rey »

Lobster, did you hit Preview when it cut the end off or not?

So, until we figure out why, I guess we have two options:
  • Continually monitor the LatestNews page to make sure that everything's there.
  • Create a new page (like Aug1Half2005News) to put the first half of the news at. Then when the month ends, merge the LatestNews and the first half in a new page like normal. Afterwards we delete the extra page.
I just merged the two August pages together with no apparent problems. Did add a comment about the potential editing problems to the normal page, also.

Feedback from the news editors requested regarding their preference, please. Thanks.