Can't install "Opera 8.5" as alien package(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Helpee

Can't install "Opera 8.5" as alien package(Solved)

#1 Post by Helpee »

I downloaded DotPup for Opera and tried to use DotPup Package Installer. It unzipped it and tried to go to download site Ftp.opera.com

As I understand WGet does not work for FTP sites.

So to work arround that, I downloaded via Mozilla to the tmp folder and tried to use PupGet package manager with alien method. It gives me an error that this package is trying to install somewhere other than Top Level Directory, like /root, /user etc. Hence, no installation.

How do I then install and run Opera as I always liked it while runing Windows

By the way, anyone remembers how was it like to use Windows in golden old days :)

Please help!
I am using Multisession LiveCD of the ramdisk only. I have 1GB of DDR-Ram

PS: Puppy roks

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

i thought wget works on ftp
puppy has a good gui ftp client, how about using it?

Helpee

#3 Post by Helpee »

Thanks for understanding the word urgent and prompt responce. but you see, the problem is not in downloading, problem is in Installation.

Both, DotPup Installer, and PupGet Manager are not letting it get installed.

Any thoughts ?

klhrevolutionist

here you go

#4 Post by klhrevolutionist »

yes go to www.opera.com and download, if it is help your needing because you are new to the
world wide web just ask
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Sun 25 Sep 2005, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

I think that you are doing something really wrong.

1st. wget can do ftp for sure.

2nd. DotPups aren't installed with the PupGet Manager as alien packages. They are executed from within Rox (just click the icon)

3rd. If you go to the opera site and download it. You need to download the tar.gz version, untar it and run the installation script.

That's it. It asks a couple of questions about where to put it I disabled those questions to simplify the install.

It also gives a missleading message that sounds like an error but isn't. Something like that it cannot put certain files under /usr. The strange thing is that it does not even try to put them there, it always copies them to /etc.

And PLEASE. I've re-read your post three times and I still don't understand why would it be urgent.

Maybe it's urgent that you learn some etiquete.

Urgent is that it fried your computer and you don't want other people to suffer the same. Urgent is if it corrupts your OS, Urgent is if it runs away with your wife. That you cannot install it for whatever reason is not urgent. If it was the case, 70% of the posts could be marked as urgent. You would have gotten a prompt response even with out the urgent word.

I'd appreciate if you have some consideration for other people's time. Nobody is as important as they think they are.

Helpee

#6 Post by Helpee »

Dear Rarsa, I am sorry if my using the word urgent got you this angy with me.

Since I wrote it in a hurry, I might have missed some details, hence you got the impression that I was trying to install a DotPup with pup get. So here is the run down

I Clicked DotPup in Rox, It showed the error that internet connection not found. As you can see I am connected to internet and writing this post.

Then, I downloaded a tar.gz package from Opera using my browser to a local folder and Then tried to run PupGet with alien method on local file that I downloaded. and it showed a message indicating that this package is trying to install somewhere other then a /root or /user and did not install the package.

I may be wrong again. Can you please help ?

Thanks

MU

#7 Post by MU »

Helpee,

copy the opera.pup for example to /root/tmp

unzip it:
cd /root/tmp
unzip opera.....pup

Now open dotpup.sh in beaver and unccomment the line with wget with a "#".

Now copy the opera.tgz you downloaded to the same folder, and run dotpup.sh:
./dotpup.sh

Best will be to download the file that is in the line with wget (you can use mozilla for this, just type in the ftp://... like a normal HTML-Website in the adressbar).

then you also will see, if it was a problem with wget, or if you have problems with that file in Mozilla too.
Maybe just the server was down, they certainly have high traffic currently.

Greets, Mark

Helpee

#8 Post by Helpee »

I appreciate all the help, but it seems like nobody is really reading my post before replying.

Guys, Guys, I have DOWNLOADED the file already so enough about telling me how to Download ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/850 ... -en.tar.gz

It is now on my computer/root, so please help me install it.

PupGet with alien method is not working.

I am using Puppy1.0.4 Multisession LiveCD

Thanks

MU

#9 Post by MU »

I just explained you how to install it...

copy it to /root/tmp together with the dotpup and do what i described.
dotpup.sh will install the file you downloaded manually, if you uncomment (=deactivate) the line that tries to run wget.

Mark

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

if you uncomment (=deactivate) the line that tries to run wget
You mean comment, right? As commenting would stop it from running wget, and uncommenting would make it run it, which it should already do.

Helpee, do what he said, but you might need to make dotpup.sh executable first. It wouldn't hurt.

The other way to install it is to unarchive the .tar.gz file and run the install script inside. I'm not sure what it is called, but it works. That's how I installed Opera before the dotpup was made. It takes more setup to get it going though.

As for Pupget, it is not made for installing packages that were not specifically made for it. If I made a package that it could install, but Barry didn't support it, that would be an alien package.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#11 Post by MU »

ah, ok , thanks for the explanation :)

Germans say "auskommentieren" (un-comment) to comment lines, so this is confusing.

Greets, Mark

#12 Post by Guest »

This is confusing,never tried Multi-session live-cd.I'm going to wait for Mean Puppy.

MU

#13 Post by MU »

Nono, don't wait for it...

Take this dotpup.
Download it and click on it in rox.

It is Rarsas Installer 03 with deactivated FTP-download.

The opera-8.50-20050916.5-shared-qt.i386-en.tar.gz must be already in in /root ,as you have done it :)

Greets, Mark
Attachments
opera-8.50-0.3-noFTP.pup
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

Helpee

#14 Post by Helpee »

Hello Guys.

Thanks for all the help. I was able to copy tar.gz and put it in my /root, I also unzipped dotpup package in my /tmp and run dotpup.sh as described by MU.

Every thing worked fine except that an error message about the plugins which I could not understand.

any how, I am now coming live from LiveCD and and typing away in Opera 8.5. all because of your help and support. This forum is great and all the forumers ( like that is a real word ) are also great.

Just a quick note for raras.

Man, you need to chill out. Was it really that big a deal if I used the word urgent, that you bashed me like you did. But I forgive you. But, you need to chill nonetheless

Thanks Everyone.
Have a great Puppy Day.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

The only person who needs to chill out around here is me.
Netiquette - I thought it was a new form of fishing.

In the words of advice from my [alleged] psychiatrist, "I ain't treating you till you start acting sane."

And that bit about "communication is what the other person hears - not what you said." Well I ain't listening to that . . .

Anyway I will do my best to be kewl - how am I doing so far?
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

stop

#16 Post by klhrevolutionist »

for one, you don't install the dotpup as an alien package.
If you install a dotpup it is a seperate installer/packager itself
You are trying to install it as an alien package with pupget, don't
some dotpups do have an option of registering with pupget
but apparently rarsa's opera.pup does'nt. <- I don't know for sure as I have'nt seen
nor use.
So, what have you learned?
Pupget, Dotpup are two different package manager's
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

Mu,

Wow, this thread sure moved fast today.

Actually he did not have to comment the wget line, I am using wget -c which will continue a download. If he already downloaded it in full, wget will know this and won't try to download.

I actually point to this at the end of the install process. When my DotPup asks if it should delete the installer (tar.gz) it advises that if the user wants to install it in other computer, the file should not be deleted, It can be copied to /root in the second computer and the DotPup will skip the download.
Helpee wrote:Dear Rarsa, I am sorry if my using the word urgent got you this angy with me.
Do I look like an angry man? I was just trying to be very direct. I think that the more direct one is, the easier the communication.

I am glad that you were able to install the Opera 8.50. Actually you did not need to unzip the dotpup, Once you downloaded the installer, you could have executed the dotpup and it would have used your downloaded file.

I think that the main thing to worry here is "why did the download fail?".

My guess is that the Opera server was too busy. My script has a message that should show when there is a problem downloading but it has a problem:

I am executing the wget inside a xterm terminal to show progress. The problem is that if it fails, it returns the error code to that xterm, but the xterm returns 0 to my script. Is there a way to have the xterm return the same exit code as the wget?

here is the coresponding code

Code: Select all

# xterm -bg lightblue -e wget -c -P /root ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/850/final/en/i386/shared/opera-8.50-20050916.5-shared-qt.i386-en.tar.gz
# [ $? -eq 0 ] || showError "downloading"

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

Yes, rasa, the Opera servers have done like a 1.5 million downloads the last few days, and it's not stopping.

Even I'm using Opera now and normally I don't even have it installed.

PS - it is not urgent that you read this, but it is imperative :wink:

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#19 Post by GuestToo »

there might be a way to return an error code from rxvt ... i've used a few workarounds for this problem, simply because it's quicker to write a workaround than to find the "right" answer

one workaround is to run wget from another script, that can create an error file that the first script can read ... a general-purpose script that any dotpup could use might be a good thing to be included with the Puppy distro ... something like:
wget "$@" || touch /tmp/wgeterror

with quotes and { brackets } it might be possible to run it without needing a second script

what i usually do is check the md5sum of the downloaded file ... if it's ok, it doesn't need to be downloaded ... if it's not ok, wget -c tries to finish the download and tests the md5sum again ... if the md5sum is not ok, then it didn't finish downloading properly ... this works around the problem, and makes sure the file downloaded perfectly too

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Ian »

I'm going to mark this as solved as it looks like Opera is installed and working.

rasa have you tried the -o option.