USB flash drive install script needs newer syslinux version

Please post any bugs you have found
BadLife

USB flash drive install script needs newer syslinux version

#1 Post by BadLife »

After looking around on the forum I found that there may be a problem with the version of syslinux that is used by default on the Install Puppy USB Card option. I had tried this and it would not work even with the use of the boot USB from floppy. I downloaded the latest version of syslinux and did a syslinux X: where X: is the mounted USB flash drive. It then worked fine. It would be nice to fix the install script to have this use the latest version of syslinux as I noticed that other's are also having this problem.

dvw86

#2 Post by dvw86 »

I tend to agree. I could not get the install to USB script to work either. Even after I ran syslinux. Eventually I installed DSLinux to the USB pen drive (which worked) and then installed Puppy over the top of it.

BadLife

#3 Post by BadLife »

:shock: The USB boot thing seems a little flaky for some reason. I can get it to boot on one PC all the time. I finaly got it to boot on another but the Flash Drive had to be in a USB port when I went into the BIOS to set it to boot but it does not load X for some reason. On another PC it just ignores the USB device all the time no matter what. Of course this is probably not really a bug :wink: but the boot from USB flash card seems to not be universaly supported just yet. When it works it's pretty cool thought 8)