Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 29 Nov 2014, 01:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
CDPD cell modem anyone?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
peppyy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 08:59    Post subject:  CDPD cell modem anyone?  

Has anyone used a CDPD modem? I have been reading about them and since the technology is on the way out the cards are cheep. I bought some for 99 cents each to see if I could perhaps set up an adhoc connection or perhaps get my Dad a connection out in the boonies where he is lucky to sometimes get dialup.

The cards are sierra wireless air-card 300 with cute little antennas. What my Dad wants is a laptop to check his e-mail when he travels without having to depend on a regular wireless or dialup connection.

I know the speed of these is slow, 19.9k max but he is used to 14.4 when he can get it. From what I understand, the cell companys assign an ip address that can then use some of the "Unused bandwidth" on the system.

Is it even worth trying to get these working on puppy, (have found possible drivers), or should I just stick them in a frame in the hall of defunct hardware?
aircard300.jpg
 Description   Cute ain't they
 Filesize   59.11 KB
 Viewed   432 Time(s)

aircard300.jpg

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 11:13    Post subject:  

If I understand correctly what you want to do and how the cell phone system works, the local phone company must provide support in order for these things to work at all. If they are "going out" as you say, then why bother. They would be useless soon in any case (unless perhaps they can be made to communicate with each other.)
peppyy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 11:48    Post subject:  

It would be a fun project to see if I could get 2 of them to communicate bit even 802-11a is so much faster that unless they have a really good range, it wouldn't be worth it.

Upon further reading they may not be an option soon. Verizon is ending support in December so you know that everyone else will be quick to follow.

I am really wanting to get out there with my laptop and WAG to see just what kind of hotspots are available in our area. I have had good luck with antennas for 11b but nothing too portable yet other than the usual wire and choke or the smaller cantennas.

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: