CDPD cell modem anyone?

Using applications, configuring, problems
peppyy

CDPD cell modem anyone?

#1 Post by peppyy »

Has anyone used a CDPD modem? I have been reading about them and since the technology is on the way out the cards are cheep. I bought some for 99 cents each to see if I could perhaps set up an adhoc connection or perhaps get my Dad a connection out in the boonies where he is lucky to sometimes get dialup.

The cards are sierra wireless air-card 300 with cute little antennas. What my Dad wants is a laptop to check his e-mail when he travels without having to depend on a regular wireless or dialup connection.

I know the speed of these is slow, 19.9k max but he is used to 14.4 when he can get it. From what I understand, the cell companys assign an ip address that can then use some of the "Unused bandwidth" on the system.

Is it even worth trying to get these working on puppy, (have found possible drivers), or should I just stick them in a frame in the hall of defunct hardware?
Attachments
aircard300.jpg
Cute ain't they
(59.11 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If I understand correctly what you want to do and how the cell phone system works, the local phone company must provide support in order for these things to work at all. If they are "going out" as you say, then why bother. They would be useless soon in any case (unless perhaps they can be made to communicate with each other.)

peppyy

#3 Post by peppyy »

It would be a fun project to see if I could get 2 of them to communicate bit even 802-11a is so much faster that unless they have a really good range, it wouldn't be worth it.

Upon further reading they may not be an option soon. Verizon is ending support in December so you know that everyone else will be quick to follow.

I am really wanting to get out there with my laptop and WAG to see just what kind of hotspots are available in our area. I have had good luck with antennas for 11b but nothing too portable yet other than the usual wire and choke or the smaller cantennas.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!