Compiling kernel 2.4.29 modules, matching pup1.0.4

Booting, installing, newbie
Staffan

Compiling kernel 2.4.29 modules, matching pup1.0.4

#1 Post by Staffan »

Hello,

I would like to recompile the kernel found in puppy 1.0.4.
Essentially, I follow the instructions found in http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development ... kernel.htm
and it seems to work fine. However, I end up with a lot more modules and they are not in the same structure as I find them in the compressed image.gz that is found on the live CD.
I should mention that I do the work on a RedHat 8 machine (gcc 2.96), but there seems to be no trouble compiling or other problems.
Does anyone know how to end up with precisely the same set of modules as the ones that are found on the live CD? Preferably they should be compressed also.

/Staffan

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

...oo, ah, redat 8, asking for trouble with the old glibc.
...but then, if it is only for compiling the kernel, perhaps you can get away with it.

You will get all the modules, you then have to copy out the one you want for Puppy.

I have attached a script that I use, but I haven't looked at it for awhile, and you will have to edit it, fix paths etc.
Attachments
updatemodules.sh.gz
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Staffan

#3 Post by Staffan »

Barry,

thanks a (add big number here) times for your work on Puppy Linux!

Thanks also for your fast reply! I had a quick look at your script and it seems to be what I need. Now I also think I see how to get the modules compressed.
Could it be an idea to write a small howto on just re-generating the kernel that is found on the live-cd? For me, I need to just alter a small parameter and I want to stay on a CD (the sound of the HD spinning down just after boot --- and staying quiet while still working is great!) so the steps of mounting image.gz etc and remastering everything would be neat. Essentially this is what remaster-cd does, only that I'm doing it on a different machine where Puppy isn't running.

Again, many thanks!

/Staffan

jcoder24

#4 Post by jcoder24 »

Unless you plan to replace the kernel and all the modules in puppy with your new ones, I think you may have problems here.

I had tried a something similar when I first compiled my hcf/hsf modem drivers. However, when trying to load them in puppy I got errors (or warnings can't remember which) about the different versions of gcc used to compile the kernel and the modules.

I not sure if this would be true for some apps as well.

Staffan

#5 Post by Staffan »

It works, I added a topic in HOWTO on how I did. There are probably some warnings, but it all worked out well. What I did was to recompile the kernel and the modules at the same time so, yes, you most likely have to replace everything. It isn't too difficult though.

Regards,
Staffan