Confused Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
babbs

Confused Puppy

#1 Post by babbs »

Hello,

Ok... I have an HP Pavilion N5470 (1GHz, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD). I have now tried both the 1.0.2-Mozilla and 1.0.2-Opera(Custom) distro versions of Puppy on this laptop. In both cases, I booted with CD-R, without USB storage, and the hard drive containing XP(NTFS) without pup001.

Color confusion:

-- 1.0.2-Mozilla: I can't see the colors on the desktop (kinda looks like the colors are at 8 bit).
-- 1.0.2-Opera: I can see everything clearly (chose 1024x768x24).

I did a screen shot of the Mozilla version, saved it to my thumb drive and opened the png file in FC3 (loaded on my desktop). The screen shot looked just like I would have expected it to look on the laptop. I tried changing the laptop display options (screen size and color depth) with no luck.

USB Recognition confusion: (Verbatim 256MB, one partition, ext2)

-- 1.0.2-Mozilla: Recognized my thumb drive once. I added it to the laptop after the boot, mounted it (/mnt/msdos1 or something close) and saved the screen shot to it. Subsequent attempts (later boot sessions) failed to detect the thumb drive when attempted from a cold boot or after the boot.
-- 1.0.2-Opera: Failed to detect the drive during boot and after the boot.
-- FC3 (Kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3): No problems.

Is it possible the laptop got too hot and caused the recognition problems? After letting the laptop cool down, Opera still didn't recognize it during boot or from the Mount script. As if I wasn't confused enough already, from the Opera boot menu, options 1 and 2 don't detect this drive. I booted to Mozilla with the thumb drive installed and selected sda1. Puppy found it this time and loaded pup001 (resized to 220MB to fit the drive) on it. With pup001 on the USB Thumb Drive, I can now see all the right colors in 1.0.2-Mozilla (1024x768x24).

PMCIA Wireless Card question:

I'm not sure how to see if the laptop can find the wireless card under Puppy. Its a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (WPC54G ver 1.2). I have the XP drivers for it, but I haven't tried NDIS yet. Is there a way to see if Puppy sees it without going through NDIS?

Enough for me tonight... I'll resume the effort tomorrow...

Good night,
babbs

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#2 Post by JohnMurga »

-- 1.0.2-Mozilla: Recognized my thumb drive once. I added it to the laptop after the boot, mounted it (/mnt/msdos1 or something close) and saved the screen shot to it. Subsequent attempts (later boot sessions) failed to detect the thumb drive when attempted from a cold boot or after the boot.
-- 1.0.2-Opera: Failed to detect the drive during boot and after the boot.
-- FC3 (Kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3): No problems.
Could you try something for me ?

Before attempting to mount could you unplug the thumb drive and plug it back in again ?

Re: NDIS - It appears people are having trouble with under 1.0.2 ... I enabled ndiswrapper setup by incorporating PERL, but the ndiswrapper driver doesn't appear to work in puppy 1.0.2 ... Kinda ironic really :-(

The WPC54G ver 1.2 requires ndiswrapper or linuxant I believe, yes.

Cheers
JohnM

babbs

#3 Post by babbs »

I tried plugging and unplugging the thumb drive. Over and over again. Sometimes the little led would light up, sometimes not... Either way, I'm thinking the USB detection was faulty in either the laptop or the distro. Since I have about 95% success at getting it recognized with FC3, doing as you asked was a natural course of action.