XMMS locks up Puppy 1.0.5

Please post any bugs you have found
Yogi

XMMS locks up Puppy 1.0.5

#1 Post by Yogi »

After XMMS starts playing it will (within a couple minutes or right after I minimize and un-minimize it) lock up Puppy. XMMS will continue playing but it's lost it's window shading and I no longer have control of it or anything else!. My only option at that point is to Cntrl-Alt-Backspace and startx. Never had this problem with any of the previous versions of Puppy. Also, it doesn't seem related to my sound card. I have onboard audio as well as a separate (installed) sound card and the problem affects both. I use XMMS all the time but if I can't solve this I going to have to go back to version 1.0.4. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

it might be a problem with JWM ... xmms seems to work ok in Puppy 1.0.5rc with Icewm ... i haven't tried 1.0.5 yet

flavour

#3 Post by flavour »

All fine here xmms.pup (v1.2.9) on 1.0.5 (virgin pup001)
- no lockups, despite minimising, restoring.

I would, however, still like a new version of this dotpup - to install in /usr, with menu entry (instead of my-roxapps), register with PupGet & upgrade to 1.2.10 whilst about it.
My 1st attempt to build failed & it's very low priority, though, since this one does work & it's a personal thing not critical for users...

F

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

it might be better just to make it an Unleashed package ... i've been trying to keep my dotpup packages seperate from pupget ... i don't know what differences there are between 1.2.9 and 1.2.10 ... sometimes there is very little significant difference, sometimes the older package works better, sometimes the newer package is a big improvement

Yogi

XMMS locks up Puppy 1.0.5 (resolved)

#5 Post by Yogi »

Thanks to Guest Too's advice XMMS works fine under both Fluxbox and IceWM. However, now those particular menu items don't accurately reflect the new updates in Puppy 1.0.5 JWM, i.e. GraveMan CD burner app is not to be found in either Fluxbox or IceWM menus. ??? Oh well, nice to have a stable XMMS. Thanks Guest Too.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

when Puppy upgrades, it overwrites your JWM and Fvwm95 menus with a new menu for the latest Puppy
Puppy does not update Fluxbox or Icewm or any other window manager's menus

i will have to backup 1.0.4's jwm menu file, install 1.0.5 (i haven't installed it yet), diff the old and the new jwm menu files and try and figure out what changed, and update my Icewm menu accordingly, make a dotpup package and upload it ... so you will be able to just click the dotpup and update your Icewm menu to 1.0.5

i could have made an Icewm menu update for 1.0.5rc, it would probably be just about identical to 1.0.5 ... but i didn't this time

the same for Fluxbox and other wm's ... JustGreg has been uploading Fluxbox menu updates lately, which is much appreciated ... it takes quite a bit of time and effort to update a menu

it doesn't take any (or much anyway) programming skill to update a menu, this is something a lot of people could do

Yogi

#7 Post by Yogi »

I understand. Thanks again for your advice and efforts for which myself and others stand to benefit.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo,
If you can update the icewm menu to match that for JWM, send it to me and from now on I will officially maintain it.
I've been working in that direction, getting the pupget and PCCC scripts to update an icewm menu.

icewm itself doesn't have to be installed, just the menu, it will be in the live-cd and will always be up-to-date.
If PupGet is used to install any of the three supported w.m.s, the menu file will not get over-written if the w.m. package is installed, also will not get deleted if the w.m. package is uninstalled.

so send me /root/.icewm/menu file.
If there is anything not quite right in it, that's okay, I can tidy
it up.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

8) Good news all around. In the rc of 1.0.5 I was unable to download and use the fvwm95. It works fine in the official version and I am using it now.
JWM is the tiniest - ideal for Puppy
IceWM is the most configerable and fvwm95 is "just background" - by that I mean just there . . .

Tweaking (for some of us) is very necessary. Right away I had to install the pinball theme for Mozilla - the default is too . . . too . . . oh I dunno . . . but I changed it . . . This tweaking is part of the owning and controlling of the operating system and psychologically required for new Linux users who are overwhelmed by all they can not (yet) control.

Firefox = take back the web
Puppy = take back Linux
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

BarryK wrote:If you can update the icewm menu to match that for JWM, send it to me and from now on I will officially maintain it
i uploaded an icewm menu dotpup for puppy 1.0.5
it should install /root/.icewm/menu whether icewm is installed or not

it also fixes a few icons that are broken for 1.0.5

my icewm unleashed package maker makes an unleashed package that puts the menu somewhere in /usr (it puts all the icewm files in /usr) ... a menu file in /root takes precedence over a menu file in /usr

the icewm menu is clean and easy to work with
i have some extra menu items that only show up if the program is installed ... mostly roxapps
most of the menu items, for example, kde apps, are not commented because they aren't shown in the menu unless they are installed anyway ... this shouldn't be a problem with the fixmenus script