Mozilla only app able to connect thru proxy server

Booting, installing, newbie
pitbos

Mozilla only app able to connect thru proxy server

#1 Post by pitbos »

Hi!
I saw post by YongestOne and it is just sitting there for hours without any response from all you Masters

I am having the same problem. I am connected to a Local Area Network via cable.

When I ran my first Puppy livecd, I performed the following steps

Start >> Setup >> WizardWizard >> Connect to Internet by Ethernet Interface >> Cinfigure_etho >> Manual_config

I answered all the qustion and got the respose that Gateway is now set.

I then clicked on Mozilla it started off with goosee.com/puppy as the Home Page. After several seconds of trying an error message popped up that connection with the site was not possible

I then performed following steps.

Edit >> Preferences >> Advanced >> Proxies and put in the Proxy Server as 111.111.111.111 (each set of 111 represent dotted quad number, of course) and port as 8080

Closed Mozilla and restarted it. It showed me the web page. Everything OK so far.

I then tried to download a file with Axcel download Accellerator

After a while it showed that Internet connection Not Established, press Enter to Exit :P

I then tried to retrieve my E-Mail with Sylpheed client.

Again after a while it showed the message Connection Error. So no luck here

I then tried to download a Pupget Package. Again the same problem. A message popped up asking me whether I was really connected to the Internet or not. Please be aware that my browser was still surfing and showing me everything I wanted to see on the web.

So to summarize Only programs which have Proxy Configuration available were able to connect and the rest wouldn't know if I was connected.

Is there something really wrong with what I am doing or this is a kind of bug that went unnotice ?

Please help.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

The YongestOne's computer does not appear to be connected to the Internet, neither does yours.

It appears that your computers are on a newwork and one machine on the network has a proxy service for other computers on the network.

You connect to the Internet via a LAN connection to the computer that hosts the proxy.

Neither of you have told us anything about the proxy server. I can deduce it hosts at a minimum HTTP.

Does the proxy provide SMTP, HTTPS, FTP, and POP services. Who knows? Not the reader.

The administrator of the proxy computer should be able to tell you what to do to connect to the other services, if there are other services.

Once the information about the proxy is known, the next step is to configure the applications on your computer to use the appropriate proxy services.

It is tedious work, because you have to do some reading and checking on each application how to do it.

Some applications probably don't have proxy support either.

This is how it works in a generic sense and not particular to Puppy. I could write the same post about a Windows computer.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

you could try putting something like:

export https_proxy=http://111.111.111.111:8088
export http_proxy=http://111.111.111.111:8088
export ftp_proxy=http://111.111.111.111:8088

in /etc/profile, (or better still, in /etc/profile.local if you are using Puppy 1.0.5 or newer) and rebooting
it may not work for all programs ... it does work for Dillo (i just tried it)

pitbos

#4 Post by pitbos »

The YongestOne's computer does not appear to be connected to the Internet, neither does yours.
Can you please explain that. I am coming live to you from my Puppy and sure am connected to the internet

pitbos

#5 Post by pitbos »

Addendum to the above post.

In good old Winblows:) i had a Client for ISA server which is a workgroup server (not a domain server, that is) on my LAN provider which provides http, ftp, pop3 proxies with https proxy.

Once I configured my Client program, I did not have to use proxy in any program that I used, like, FoxMail, Download Manager, Browser (Mozilla FireFox and Opera) etc.

Please explain the instructions ( Step by Step, if possible ) as I am new to the world where Puppy rules and do not no much about Linux Apps, but I am sure as hell trying my best.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

pitbos wrote:
Can you please explain that. I am coming live to you from my Puppy and sure am connected to the internet
I believe he means that Mozilla is not directly connected to the internet, but is connected through the proxy. It would seem that each application in Puppy (Mozilla, FTP client, etc.,) must be individually configured to connect to the internet through the proxy. Unfortunately, Mozilla is the only one which has a built-in wizard for the purpose.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

I did explain as follows:
  • It appears that your computers are on a newwork and one machine on the network has a proxy service for other computers on the network.

You connect to the Internet via a LAN connection to the computer that hosts the proxy.
That is how it appears based on your post. You have not confirmed or denied that this approximates your network arrangment. Does it?

It appears that the computer with the Internet connection is the one providing the proxy service.

But then this is all appearances, because you have not explained in much detail the setup of the proxy computer. In other words, I have a rough idea of what you are working with. I've communicated my rough idea and it has not even been validated as accurate.

You ask for specific step by step details if possible. Please be as specific as possible in your description of the network and the proxy services.

So far we have learned that you can connect to HTTP by configuring proxy in Mozilla.

GuestToo suggest you export some variables to /etc/profile. Have you done this?

As far as your PupGets are concerned you can download the ones you want and install them locally. Same with the DotPups.

Regarding your Windows comment, maybe that server was configured for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) which is very different than proxy services.

Sincerely, tell us more about the network and in particular the proxy services.

#8 Post by Guest »

It would seem that each application in Puppy (Mozilla, FTP client, etc.,) must be individually configured to connect to the internet through the proxy.
Dear Flash.
Thank you very much for understanding. That is exactly what I meant.

I want to download mail from my POP3 mail server but Sylpheed is giving me Connection Error message. How do I do that, meaning how do I configure it to use proxy ?
GuestToo suggest you export some variables to /etc/profile. Have you done this?
Man if I was that much Puppy Literate I wouldn't be coming here for the help, now would I ?. Let me quote my self again
Please explain the instructions ( Step by Step, if possible ) as I am new to the world where Puppy rules and do not know much about Linux Apps either
Was it really that hard to get my drift when I wrote "STEP BY STEP" ?

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Lighten up, man. No need to insult people who are only trying to help you. :?

pitbos

#10 Post by pitbos »

I appologize if my post has given the impression that I tried to insult someone. I did not mean like that at all.

I only meant that I am getting nowhere post after post.

Again if anyone feel insulted I ask for forgiveness.

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

pitbos wrote:I appologize if my post has given the impression that I tried to insult someone. I did not mean like that at all.

I only meant that I am getting nowhere post after post.

Again if anyone feel insulted I ask for forgiveness.
It was insulting. That doesn't stop me from trying to help, but I'm not going to treat you with kid gloves either, on account of your attitude.

You have still not provided any definative information about your network setup and the proxy. Does it occur to you that it could be only an HTTP proxy?

That is all I know about your proxy, is that it supports HTTP. There is not much point in providing any support or advice on other protocols, because we don't even know if they are supported. You've not told us.

If HTTP is all it supports then it could be that your Internet experience is going to be limited to HTTP.

The one thing I noticed in your fist post is you set a gateway. I'm not sure you have a gateway. Are you?

pitbos

#12 Post by pitbos »

Thanks for helping me despite my insensitivity. I highly appreciate it. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me.

And to answer your question, Yes I do have a gateway, if I do not provide a default gateway IP I can not connect to the net even with Mozilla.

I used the same Broadband connection on Winblows:) and did not have any problem fith Ftp Client, Downloader or EMail Client like Foxmail

Man, I don't know what I am doing wrong in Puppy, or what else I shoud do to get my POP mail via sylpheed ?

Please help me

Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

pitbos wrote:And to answer your question, Yes I do have a gateway, if I do not provide a default gateway IP I can not connect to the net even with Mozilla.
If your statement is accurate, then I really need you to explain what this network setup is all about? Do your best to explain, even if you don't use the correct nomenclature. Explain.

pitbos

#14 Post by pitbos »

Well it can be a pain to make something out of my naive statement below but do bare with me on this one as I am not much of computer literate like most of you guys.

I have a computer that is sitting at my home. If I need to connect to the net I have two choices.

1: Modem
2: Broadbroad connection

Now if I choose to use broad band, I would have to go to a person who is connected to the internet and has a server running at his place. He would then streach a cable from his place to my place and I insert this cable into a LAN card (a 3Com Lan Card) that I have inserted in my machine.

Now to surf the web I would have to configure my eth0 manually as follows

I have to provide the IP address that is assigned to me by that computer'a administrator which is something like 192.168.1.137

I also would have to provide an IP mask which is 255.255.255.0

Then I would have to provide a Default gateway which is the server's IP like 192.168.1.1

Now to surf I have to configure Mozilla like this

Click on Edit >> Preferences >> Advanced >> Proxies and put in the Proxy Server as 192.168.1.1 and port as 8080

And off I go to enjoy surfing.

Is this the kind of explanation you needed ? If not, I can try again, should I ?

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

Let's discuss only the broadband connection.

And some theory.

When you use a remote proxy, you also use that proxy's DNS to the extent of bypassing your own DNS.

You told Linux that you have a gateway, and Linux is going to try and use that gateway as your entry point to the Internet.

You did not mention anything about configuring the DNS services. Maybe you didn't.

Now here is a test for you to make, the link below will take you to distrowatch. Set mozilla up for a direct Internet connection, after doing that, click on the link. If you connect, I am likely to conclude:

1) that you do have an Internet connection
2) that you need to configure the DNS to complete your manual configuration

http://66.180.174.35/

Let me know, but make the first test with the proxy off!!!

pitbos

#16 Post by pitbos »

was not able to ip address after turning proxy off in mozilla

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

In that case, I'm tempted to think all you have in terms of Internet connection is a proxy service.

pitbos

#18 Post by pitbos »

So, where do we go from here ?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

What happens if you go to Start -> Setup -> Ethernet network Wizard -> Configure eth_whaterver -> Auto DHCP?

Bruce B

#20 Post by Bruce B »

pitbos wrote:So, where do we go from here ?
Try what Flash said