How to access usb/cf drive from remote desktop?

Booting, installing, newbie

How to access usb/cf drive from remote desktop?

#1 Post by Guest »

I boot from puppy 1.0.3 on the original pc and plug the card reader with 128cf use usb port, and then use intergated remote desktop function(RemoteDesktop RDP client) go into other pc, I want to save something on the 128cf from the remote desktop(window xp), I want xp can show the driver(cf) and let me put something on it, how can I do that?
thanks a lot !

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Hi,

First: This HOW-TO part of the forum is to provide solutions, not to ask questions. You should ask beginers questions in the Beginers forum.

Having said that. There is a How-to for what you want;

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

The fact that you are doing a RDP connection makes no difference.

When you use RDP is as if you were seating at the remote computer, so configure your puppy and windows as described in the HOW-TO and you should be OK.

#3 Post by Guest »

thanks, but I want the cf card reader and cf is plug in the master machine, the cf drive can show that on the remote desktop machine and let me save data easily. Puppy can do that or not?
thanks

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

Puppy can do it. I just told you how.

#5 Post by Guest »

use this method? =>How to let Windows see a puppy folder
and use ftp get from puppy? :cry:

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

use this method? =>How to let Windows see a puppy folder
and use ftp get from puppy?
Exactly.

The RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is not a file transfer protocol so you won't be able to transfer files through it.

The RDP allows you to work on the remote computer as if you were seated in front of it. So, for this requirement, think as if you are actually seated in front of the XP computer.

With this in mind the question becomes "What do you need to do to access a drive in the puppy computer from Windows XP?" Which is the question I am answering in that HOW-TO.

Remember that a storage device is 'mounted' as a folder in the file system. So, just note the folder where the cf card is being mounted to, and share that folder using my instructions.