[obsolete] Compiz-Fusion Puplet for testing -- aka "W...

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
cb88

#21 Post by cb88 »

sirduncan you can set your own key bindings in CCSM or you can just use the default of control+alt+button1 to move the cube
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

tombh

#22 Post by tombh »

Brilliant, thanks for all the feedback guys!

Lobster
I had a look at that graphics.sfs and allthough I can't see exactly why it caused problems, I can see that it certainly overwrites the existing OpenGL library which would very likely prevent Compiz from working. Hopefully it is only the graphics.sfs that causes these problems, I have devx_301.sfs and KDE357.sfs on mine here no problem (although I am not running the exact same version of wNOP experimental). If you're interested in looking further into the graphics.sfs issue a pfind on those missing commands would be useful.

mark2
It's best to treat wNOP as a whole new version of puppy, therefore you will certainly need to boot with pfix=ram and on shutdown create its own unique pupsave file. The only other way wNOP would boot without using your existing pupsave files is if I renamed the pup_301.sfs as if it were a whole new version of puppy. I'm glad your wobbling though :)

cb88
Great to see wNOP on youtube, it's like magic being able to see my script running on the other side of the ocean (I'm in the UK)

So just to summerise: You have 3 cards to test (1)Geforce MX 440 (2)Geforce 6200 (3)unspecified integrated intel? (1)&(2) setup okay but crash emerald occasionally, (3)won't setup. Are they all running from the same computer? I see from titanreign on wow's thread that graphic cards running "on top of" legacy intel cards might be problematic?

My current thinking is that
(a)I have not acknowledged the full spectrum of nVidia cards and their respective drivers. Following this post of gray's I assumed the 3 drivers supplied with wNOP would cover all nVidia cards. However gray does not mention GeForce 2 MX cards which I think are in fact different to Geforce 2000 series cards? Although the drivers do seem pretty compatible.
(b)Emerald crashing: I used to consistently get this from the Application Switcher Plugin and notice this too in your video. Since I disabled it I have much fewer crashes. Although I do now have a strange occasional bug that causes windows to dissapear (but not close) on View Desktop. Can the emerald crashes be consistently recreated using the Application Switcher? Or is there any other patterning you can notice? Simply disabling or removing Application Switcher from wNOP would be straightforward.
(c)Intel cards: I think here I am most interested in

Code: Select all

lsmod
output. My current understanding of the Xorg puppy boot process is that initially modules have to be fetched from zdrv.sfs using the custom modprobe script and then Xorg does the actual loading itself during X intialisation. But I'm just not clear on all that bit yet. Perhaps trying a

modprobe i810
and restarting X will get wNOP going with your intel card?

Oh yeah. The

(emerald:8485): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type (nil) 
is apparently nothing to worry about I get it too.
And the nvidia-xconfig command you mention

nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --allow-glx-with-composite --disable-glx-root-clipping --render-accel --composite --depth=24
is the exact same one run by the Compiz-Fusion Wizard in wNOP!

wNOP Inspector
I have uploaded a new script that will output loads of useful information for non-working wNOPs. It's on my first post of the thread.

cb88

#23 Post by cb88 »

the problem is that the intel cards are getting detected and should not be....

the intel chip is actually deactivated so if you try to use then x crashes cause it is tring to use two GPUs and one is not even active....

if more than on card is detected then you should be able to select to enable disable them....

I have the Nvidia Geforce MX 400 that uses the 9xxx (not so legacy cards)3 driver and almost has shaders... It has "NSR"s basically non programable shaders and the proformance is pretty good for an old card.... runs fretsonfire and saubraten in windows...

cards that use the 7xxx (really old cards)driver may be incapable of running compiz but I haven't ran into one yet.... I think the Geforce 2 GTS uses the 7xxx driver

BTW lobster has teh MX 440 they are a little different it sould be a little faster...

I think that there is a problem here somewhere because emerald crashes much less when I installed it manually and the switchers don't cause problems
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

pakt

#24 Post by pakt »

I downloaded and burned wNOP, then managed to get Compiz-Fusion working on my Intel 945GM laptop.

Xorg was running the i810 Xorg driver, but DRI didn't work because module i915 needed to be loaded *also* and that didn't happen automatically. Modprobing i915 didn't work either.

Here's how I got it working: I manually copied i915.ko from zdrv_301.sfs to the folder containing i810.ko, then did a depmod and restarted X -- and there was Compiz-Fusion! Very nice.

lsmod then showed:
Module Size Used by
i915 23296 2
drm 79508 3 i915
intel_agp 24860 1
agpgart 34128 3 drm,intel_agp
and
sh-3.00# glxinfo|grep -i dri
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5b
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
sh-3.00#
Note that 'DRI' is in uppercase here.

I noticed that Thunar works flakey - won't load folders properly unless I either open them full screen or minimize and open them again.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

SirDuncan

#25 Post by SirDuncan »

cb88 wrote:sirduncan you can set your own key bindings in CCSM or you can just use the default of control+alt+button1 to move the cube
I guess I just hadn't seen the one for cube rotation. Now it's working just fine. Thanks, CB!
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

klu9

#26 Post by klu9 »

great video cb88; I've added it to the NOP wiki page and the LinuxTracker page.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#27 Post by Lobster »

cb88 wrote:
BTW lobster has the MX 440 they are a little different it should be a little faster...
based on your video the speed difference is not evident.
I remember years ago getting a hardware add on that doubled the speed of my 6502 CPU
Yes it was faster
After about 4 days I noticed no increase in productivity and the initial wow it is twice as fast had gone . . .

The video is good. I hope you do some more, to train up and educate our newborns (infant pups) 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 18 Nov 2007, 22:17, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mark2

#28 Post by mark2 »

Compiz now running on my desktop too.

Have a frugal install and up and running with wobbly windows.
[img]http://www.markamos.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yxudnslbsx.png[/img]
www.crowncarcare.co.uk

Everitt

#29 Post by Everitt »

Running from the live CD at the moment, but this is deffinately getting a place on my HDD if it proves stable! Love it! :D

tombh

#30 Post by tombh »

pakt
That's gold!

BTW: You don't have to copy i915.so over from zrdv_301.sfs, a simple:

modprobe -n i915
modprobe i915
then restart X, will do the trick. The "-n" argument tells puppy to fetch the module but NOT load it -- Woohoo to puppy :)

So now I'm wondering about the best way to fix this? I wish it were as easy as -- "IF Xorg chooses the i810 driver THEN load the i915 module"! I really need to know more about how Xorg matches a module/driver to the results of its card probing -- and so understand why Xorg didn't choose the right module in your case. Is it that Xorg simply chooses the most APPROPRIATE driver given the ones it CAN find and that on first boot i915 is hidden from Xorg?

On that thought, what if you were to boot a fresh pfix=ram wNOP straight to the command line (ie pfix=ram,nox) and type

modprobe -n i915
xorgwizard
Therefore making the i915 module available and letting Xorg load it if its needed. If that works then I think it would be a satisfactory fix.

As for the flakey Thunar, I had the exact same problem on my ATI. For an Intel card I reckon adding the following code to the "Device" Section of xorg.conf will do the trick:

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
(Which will of course be in wNOP2 :wink: )

However, I found it had been fixed on my ATI card when I added this lot!:

Option	  "backingstore" "true"
	Option	  "EnablePageFlip" "true"
	Option	  "SubPixelOrder" "none"
	Option	  "AccelMethod" "XAA"
	Option	  "RenderAccel" "true"
	Option	  "AGPMode" "4"
	Option	  "ColorTiling"   "on"
	Option	  "DynamicClocks" "on"
	Option	  "mtrr" "on"
	Option	  "VideoOverlay" "on"
	Option	  "OpenGLOverlay" "off"

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
	Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" 
I don't actually know what most of them do, I probably only needed that one line too, but I think they're generic ATI recomendations anyway.
I wish I could test this out on my intel 945GM but I think it is running into this bug, which is apparently solved by the xf86-video-intel driver (the latest and best) which puppy doesn't appear to have. I see that it is available from Slackware, though my instinct is that it won't be that compatible? Fingers crossed though! It might be good to get this driver going as it may solve BOTH our intel issues.

cb88
Does this new intel fix help your intel card?

I've gone and had another go with wNOP on my nVidia and its running stable. I tried very hard but could only manage one emerald crash and that was caused by the Apllication Switcher Plugin. So the best thing now would be to comapare the wNOP setup to your stable (non-wNOP) setup and see if there are any differences. Perhaps post the output of wNOPinspect from both setups and any other info you can think of. You could also try editing /etc/compizflag.txt to "no", restarting X and starting compiz-manager from Xfce autostart or terminal.

Everyone
Thankyou so much for your feedback.

So has anyone got this going on anything other than Intel, ATI and nVidia?

And just another reminder about posting the ouput of the wNOPinspect script if wNOP doesn't work for you.

SirDuncan

#31 Post by SirDuncan »

Okay, I've had a little time this weekend, so I tried to figure out why I'm not getting any wobbles on the 9550. wNOPinspect yielded this:

libGL warning:  3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
Maybe that will mean more to someone else, but all it told me was that 3D was not working. So, I went to try and track down the reason. I actually found it rather quickly. It is loading the "radeon" driver which is meant for the older Radeon cards like my 7500. It needs to load the "fglrx" driver for the 9550.

I can't seem to find the "fglrx" driver. I tried modprobing it and searching for it with Pfind, but I got nothing. Is it included in the ISO, or am I just missing it?

Now on to better news. I have been using wNOP on my laptop for a few days now, and I am quite pleased with it. It is far more stable than Beryl was for me. In fact, I've only managed to crash Compiz once and Emerald has only flaked out a few times. I've added Kiba Dock (an OS X style dock application which requires either Compiz-Fusion or Beryl) and I'm having fun throwing the dock icons at one another (Kiba has a physics engine, so you can play pong with the icons if you set the gravity low and the inertia high).

Some of the features of Compiz can be real time savers on top looking really cool. I think I'm addicted. In fact, I am working on setting up wNOP for full time use.

The only problem is, when I go to work on my CS labs next quarter I will have to use CDE. How will I be able to stay sane working with that after having been spoiled by the eye candy of wNOP?
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

cb88

#32 Post by cb88 »

CDE...cb88 has a seizure and runs into teh wall .....the wall wins...

The Jinx

#33 Post by The Jinx »

Well Compiz Fusion does not work "out of the box" for me on my ATI Xpress 200 and i have no real experience with linux to tweak it to work. If anyone knows how to fix it so that i can get 3D effects please tell me. I managed to get Compiz working with Sabayon Linux so I know its not the integrated graphics.

pakt

#34 Post by pakt »

tombh, you're tips worked a treat :)

Here's a summary of what I did to get Compiz-Fusion to work with my Intel 945GM laptop graphics:

Booted wNOP with
puppy pfix=ram,nox
at the prompt, typed

modprobe -n i915
modprobe i915
then typed 'xwin' twice and Compiz-Fusion started right up :)

Then, to fix flakey Thunar, I added to the "Device" Section of xorg.conf:

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
and re-started X. Result: Thunar flakey no more ;)

Nice work, tombh, and the others who contributed to getting this amazing eyecandy to work so well on small and efficient Puppy. I don't normally go in for this sort of thing (I like lean & fast), but I'm really impressed and I think "Wobbily NOP" will win over even more people to Puppy :D
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Caneri

#35 Post by Caneri »

rats...I'm not wobbling on my lappy...ATI Radeon Mobility X1600/256mg ram.

Did a usb install..also a live cd boot with no saved pup.

Any ideas?
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

SirDuncan

#36 Post by SirDuncan »

So far as I know, all of the ATI cards mentioned which do not work use the the "fglrx" driver. I'm guessing that the reason I couldn't find it is because it is not there.

I will boot up my desktop and try downloading the driver. If I'm right, that will make it wobble. This should fix the problem on all ATI cards that do not use the "radeon" driver. I will check back soon with the results.

Caneri

#37 Post by Caneri »

yes..I need the fglrx driver.

I remember now....I also needed that for 3DCC acceleration.

Had lots of problems with that on this lappy.

I'd love to see the wobble. ;)

@Sir Duncan...thanks..I'll poke around when I get more time.
Last edited by Caneri on Mon 19 Nov 2007, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

SirDuncan

#38 Post by SirDuncan »

Ugghh . . . The latest version of "fglrx" that I can find for Puppy does not support AIGLX, so I am downloading the new one from ATI. Will post back soon.

EDIT:
Okay, I got it installed. Problem is, I can't get CF working. If I try "xwin compiz" it crashes. If I try running the wizard, it no longer detects my card properly. I may try again later.

tombh

#39 Post by tombh »

Okay, just done a bit of research:

Firstly, for ATI there are both Open Source and proprietary drivers. "radeon" is the OSS one and "flgrx" is the proprietary one. The radeon driver is actually very capable and compatible as this page demonstrates.

Although, in benchamarks, the radeon driver probably isn't faster, it does have some other advantages, and these were the reasons I chose to use it over the proprietary one:
(1)Only the most recent ATI driver (ie 8.42.3) supports AIGLX but this driver has also dropped support for cards before the Radeon 9500 -- cards very capable of running Compiz-Fusion! The radeon driver has not dropped support for any cards, although as I now realise it does not support 5th generation cards, see here -- as The Jinx and Caneri have also disappointingly discovered :(
(2)The flgrx driver would probably add another 15MB to the ISO (the ATI installer is 42MB!). The radeon driver is already contained within Puppy.

So, the crux is that wNOP is going to need both drivers (radeon and flgrx v8.42.3) in order to satisfactorily accommodate a reasonable spectrum of ATI cards.

Now, SirDuncan (I know you should be revising!) but all this doesn't explain your non-wobbiling 9550. Not to worry, if this were wNOP2 you'd be at the cutoff point for flgrx anyway. Although finding out why that's not wobbiling would be a bonus.

Unfortunately I don't have a new enough ATI card to test the flgrx v8.42.3 driver although I can provide this link to it and at some point try and compile and upload it for others to test. From what I can see, the installer will compile the driver for you. You will need to be in puppy 3.01 and have devx_301.sfs installed.

But SirDuncan you're revising, if you do have a minute though the full output of wNOPinspect from your flgrx adventure would be very interesting to see.

And for anybody else that tries the flgrx driver too please try and attach a copy of the wNOPinspect script. See the first post of this thread.

Well this is what experimental releases are all about!

PS. SirDuncan: Kiba sounds amazing, where did you get it from? I can't even get a copy of SVN with SSL support.

SirDuncan

#40 Post by SirDuncan »

Well, I don't yet know why the "radeon" driver isn't working, but I can't get the "fgrlx" driver to work either. I run ATI's installer and then back out to the CLI. I run the xorgwizard and then "xwin", but I get dumped back at the CLI. After running the xorgwizard, it is no longer possible to load Xorg no matter what. Xvesa can be loaded though.

I have attached the wNOPdump file from the "fglrx" attempt to this post. I'll boot up from CD again and get the full dump from the "radeon" driver in a few minutes. EDIT: file added.

As for the Kiba dock, I couldn't get anything from the SVN either. I ended up getting binaries from an Ubuntu repository. As soon as I get all the kinks out, I will be posting the DotPets. If you really want to try them, I can post up what I have now, but no guarantees that all is good and stable.
Attachments
wNOPdump.tar.gz
radeon driver on a Radeon 9550
(14.68 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
wNOPdump.tar.gz
fglrx driver on a Radeon 9550
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 700 times