Live CD 1.0.5 can't find pup001 on flash?

Booting, installing, newbie

Live CD 1.0.5 can't find pup001 on flash?

#1 Post by Guest »

Sorry if I am rehashing an old issue, but I have combed the forums, and only found one reference to this problem, followed immediately by another post that said, Never mind it works now.
I want to boot from Live-CD with pup001 on flash. No interaction with the hard drive at all. Lots of people talk about doing this, so I know it can be done. I choose boot Option 3 so that it will prompt me with a location for the pupfile, but it doesn't list any "suitable partitions", and then gives me a prompt to type in the name of the partition, and seemingly only at that point does the light on the flash disk come on. Then of course typing "sda1", "/dev/sda1", etc, never works. It seems like the USB drivers don't load or find the flash disk until after it scans for "suitable partitions". So I'd like to know what the revelation was that made this work. I'm stumped. Thanks.
I love Option 3 because I have occasion to use one PC that doesn't have USB, one that has a broken floppy drive, and one that has only NTFS partitions on the HD that I can't change, and none can boot from USB drive.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Are you sure that your flash drive is sda1?

Run MUT to find out.

Other people have used that option-3 to store pup001 on flash,
successfully I think.

Another thing you could do is remaster the CD.
Run the remaster-CD script, and when it gets to the point
where you edit the "isolinux.cfg" file, you insert

PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1

the PFILE= parameter must still be there.

That will cause the CD to create the pup001 file on the
flash memory.

Another question, is the flash memory a vfat, ext, ext3
or reiserfs filesystem -- nothing else strange?
MUT will tell you that also.

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks Barry for your help. Yes, MUT reports it as sda1. It is vfat. It's a Jumpdrive Trio with a 256Mb SD card riding inside. I was looking for a simple solution before I tried remastering the CD, since it appeared that others had this working already. If the PSLEEP is mandatory, though, I'll remaster the CD.
Oh, something you said made me think... The PHOME variable causes the CD to create the pupfile on the flash. Without the PHOME variable, and just choosing option 3, will the CD create the pupfile? My flash drive doesn't have an existing pupfile on it. The 256Mb virgin pupfile download that you supply use on for NTFS partitions is too big for the flash drive, so I can't go the brute force route, either. Am I barking up the wrong tree (no pun intended)? It's really hard to tell whether the light on the flash drive came on before or after the scan for "suitable partition". When you use the PSLEEP variable, does it sleep before or after this scan?
Thanks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

option-3, then choose sda1, will create the pup001 file, or
rather it is supposed to.