Where do I adjust JWM clock format?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mouldy

Where do I adjust JWM clock format?

#1 Post by mouldy »

I always liked having seconds and date displayed. Know how to do it in fvwm95 but not with JWM.

By way I really like 1.0.5 overall. Dont much care for the generic icons or even the wallpaper, but maybe it will help some newbie. Thats easy to change. And Mozilla, wow. I'd not downloaded a Mozilla version of Puppy before as I have a very slow dialup connection Usually the barebones or MurgaOpera version is significantly smaller and I just add back Firefox and Opera as needed. However really surprised to find Mozilla is much faster on my computer than either Firefox or Opera. Not as fast as Dillo-patched, but I am not complaining.

Great effort everyone. Thanks.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

You do that in /root/.jwmrc.

There is a section that defines the format of the clock. See the JWM Documentation

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

Clock Settings

The Clock tag controls the look of the clock on the tray. This tag has an optional attribute, format, which specifies the format of the clock (see the strftime man page for formatting options). An optional attribute, enabled, may be used to specify if the clock is displayed. Possible values are true and false. The default is true. Within this Within this tag, the following tag is supported.

* Program
The program to launch when the clock is clicked.

Ok, this doesnt tell me much. Said look at strftime. I did that and just gives me format strings to set time like I did in fvwm95. However nowhere does it mention how to add this format string. There doesnt seem to be an existing one in /root/.jwmrc that I can modify. When I tried adding a line in clock section <format>%D%T<format> all that happened is that the menues changed to gray and tiny font.

Here is all that is in /root/.jwmrc that concerns clock:

<Clock>
<Program>xclock</Program>
</Clock>

Where and how do I add a line to format the time and date? If nobody knows, then I am not that fussed about making JWM work and will just put fvwm95 back. I know how to make it do what I want.

[/i]

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

However nowhere does it mention how to add this format string.
Actually it does... If you know the XML lingo.

In XML (the format of this file) an attribute is a name/value pair that goes inside the tag element (The value always goes between quotes)

So when he says that Clock has a format attribute he means the following:

Code: Select all

<Clock format="%D%T">
		<Program>xclock</Program>
	</Clock>
In this case this XML Segment says the following in XML lingo:
The Clock tag has a format attribute with value "%D%T" and a Program tag with value xclock.

mouldy

#5 Post by mouldy »

Would you believe I tried exactly that at one point in time only without the quotation marks. People who do documentation tend to assume the end user is as familiar with their product as they are. They gotta learn that giving a n example to illustrate their point isnt going to kill them. By way works fine when I added the quotation marks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Okay, thoughtjourney might be interested in adding that to
jwmConfig, if you ask pretty-please.

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

mouldy wrote:People who do documentation tend to assume the end user is as familiar with their product as they are. They gotta learn that giving a n example to illustrate their point isnt going to kill them.
Mouldy. That documentation was most likelly writen by Joe who I guess is bussy writting the actual window manager.

One of the great things about open source is that everyone can contribute. You found something that could be improved. You could offer Joe to write a more comprehensive help.

I realize that not everybody can (or want to) be a contributor some people just want to use the computer in the most efficient way possible. In that case, asking for an example or providing constructive feedback may go a long way.

Regarding the exact wording of the help "the clock tag has an attribute...", please consider that if you work day in and day out using certain terms, they become part of your vocabulary and you use them without thinking. That happens to lawyers, doctors, administrators, anyone, I'm sure it happens to you. When I read the explanation I didn't even think that it would be unreadable to someone else until you asked. That's when I clarified it.