I miss the Hourglass cursor

Using applications, configuring, problems
mr_shafer

I miss the Hourglass cursor

#1 Post by mr_shafer »

I click something, and nothing happens. No flash,blinks,beeps,hums,,, nothing.

Well, maybe I'll click it again, to make sure.
You know where this story is leading..................
( don't laugh, we know you have done it a zillion times yourself )

MS windows changes your pointer cursor to the Hourglass cursor the instant you click an executable.

Is that something that Gnome or KDE or whatever GUI handlers handle ?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

MS windows changes your pointer cursor to the Hourglass cursor the instant you click an executable.
That's because you have to wait a long time for something to
happen.

mr_shafer

another closet-SPAMMER !

#3 Post by mr_shafer »

That's because you have to wait a long time for something to
happen.
My pet peeve with these forums is people like you polluting them with senseless carp. ( what? now you dont like my spelling ?)

If you dont have anything constructive to say, then butt out !

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

i'm sorry but i think the response was constructive

first of all, Barry is the creator of Puppy Linux, and would likely know more about Puppy than anyone

secondly, the cursor does change when there is a wait ... you have to be very very quick to see it ... most applications start almost instantly

a few applications like Firefox are slower to start, but the initial program that starts them does itself start quickly ... so again, you probably won't notice the cursor change ... i made a few packages that install Firefox, and i usually include a splash screen ... usually just a simple xmessage box that, again, pops up almost instantly ... i also have a dotpup with a real splash screen, which displays a picture

other than a few apps like Firefox, i find that most of Puppy's programs start almost instantly ... this is not true on most other os's i have installed or have used ... i find Win XP particular slow, at least without a lot of tweaking ... i think Longhorn/Vista is supposed to be slower still ... for example, a review on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows (who for years has never had anything but good to say about Windows products) says:
So there you go, another slow, buggy, crash-infected Longhorn alpha build

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

In windows It's usually the application's responsibility to change the cursor. (I know because that's something that we developers rutinelly do).

I assume that's the same case in linux. If you use Mozilla, you will see that while loading a page it shows a different cursor.

I don't know whose responsibility is to launch applications in linux. I would think it is the window Manager. In KDE you can change the behaviour to show you a different cursor.

I found a small application that provides that effect, although its quite old. (2003) I assume that they stopped because something more standard was created in either the WM, in X or in GTK. I will investigate.

**** Edit **** And I actually spent some time trying to help. Edoc is using puppy and telling Barry to butt out? what a character! If barry butts out, is edoc going to continue puppy's development or just continue whining?

I guess that in this case edoc didn't have anything constructive to say

MU

#6 Post by MU »

icewm uses an hourglass-cursor.

The cursors are themable, too.

See this theme for example:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2223

In fact applications start so fast, you usually don't see the hourglass for more than 2 seconds (at least on my celeron 2200).

*edit*
I just see I currently run JWM in Puppy 1.0.5 rc , and it has an hourglass too, e.g. when I send a message in Mozilla.

Mark

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

:?: I thought he was/is mr_shafer?

What I do is look at the little graph thing on the toolbar. If it takes a while, the graph generally fills up, but if I missed it stays clear. If nothing else, Linux teaches you to be more precise (one click, deleting rather than recycling, etc). :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]