1.0.5 Release - Lessons learned

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
PeterSieg

Puppy 1.0.5 is a GREAT release and an improvement over 1.0.4

#21 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi.
I really disappointed with the bug list for the final release Crying or Very sad . So I guess I'll just stick with a modified 1.0.4 as it does everything I require and I know it's stable.
Was 1.0.5rc acutally 1.0.5 and 1.0.5 actually 1.0.6 ?
I agree, we could do better with the release of 1.0.5.
But we also should not make the great improvement between 1.0.4
and 1.0.5 so negative. Just remember usr_devx.sfs, were especially
bladehunter hat a very important part on.. Now we can develop in 1.0.5!!

I say:
Puppy 1.0.5 is a GREAT release and an improvement over 1.0.4
PS
Have fun :)

PeterSieg

#22 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi.
So Perl is a kind of "integrational part" of linux.

However as most Puppy-tools did not require it yet, there was no need for it.
But if several new things like these Wrappers that was talked about need it, it might be worth a thought to add it to the base-system.
Yep. Is integral part of linux .. but Puppy??
To my knowledge, it is only needed by ndiswrapper for setup of wireless lan.
And once this setup is done, it is not needed for nomal running (?).

And perl is available as soon as you have usr_devx.sfs mounted!

So as long as not more apps are requiring perl, I vote to save that
space for other apps... (sorry John, just my opinion.. got a change to look at jikes :) ?)

PS
Have fun :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#23 Post by Lobster »

:) Judge Dredd aka John Murga got so upset that I did not understand about Perl - he deleted one of my posts - spammed me with pop ups on IRC and all because I did not understand this . . .

Still he is the Judge. 8)

Lets us see if this post gets him enflamed - ahem - so far we have done without Perl (I did start learning it) seemed to have no standard way of doing anything . . .

So the question is really why does Barry leave Perl out? We have not needed it. John did explain to me - but of course I did not listen (ain't I wikid!) Again I am asking for time to understand and consider this - not being brow beaten into submission . . . maybe I deserve to be brow beaten? I certainly deserve a good boiling with a nice parsley sauce . . .

"We will not be moved . . ."
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#24 Post by Guest »

"service pack"
Could we please keep the language on a polite level. I for one find that term offensive in the extreme.

MU

#25 Post by MU »

ok, how about "ambulance box" (first aid box")

To heal the poor puppy ;)

Mark

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#26 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey
Lobster wrote::) Judge Dredd aka John Murga got so upset that I did not understand about Perl - he deleted one of my posts - spammed me with pop ups on IRC and all because I did not understand this . . .
I deleted the post because I was chatting to you over IRC at the time and you felt the need to question my judgement (note: not my opinion, but my judgement) in public on IRC ... And then you felt it necessary to duplicate the same wording on the forum WHILE I WAS PATIENTLY explaining my point to you.

I felt it was out of line and rather than perpetuate the argument in here I took rarsa's point and limited myself to deleting the post ... I guess it is futile now as we are WAY off topic.

I said I'll shut up, step aside and just remaster a version that actually works, just please stop poking me with a stick :-(

Now I know how Bladehunter always feels.

Cheers
JohnM

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

:shock:

rarsa

#28 Post by rarsa »

Another suggestion for a future version is:

Release the torrent at the same time as the ISO and provide the torrent address instead of the iso address to distro watch and in any other media anonucement.

The torrent has many advantages from the provider and the downloader points of view, so given the option most people will use the torrent.

klhrevolutionist

rain on parade

#29 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I don't want to rain on your parade. But I think it is entirely up
to Barry if he wants to releasa an rc & for how long.
Maybe he has other things to do out in roo land?
It is not only his mistakes but for us the ones heavily involved
in puppy. We should have had a better tracking system, but we had no sytem
rather we all just did what we wanted. If you create a guideline & sytem
and assign parts to people these issues would have been solved.
Remember there is no I in team.

Moving along, why not python? Well for one maybe Barry has a budget.
And maybe he wants puppy to be small in size for those who use dial-up
You can download python right here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 6-4vl5.tgz
drag 'n' drop /usr into puppy's /usr
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

ozboomer

#30 Post by ozboomer »

MU wrote:ok, how about "ambulance box" (first aid box")
To heal the poor puppy ;)
As was mentioned in the wiki at http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/GoodPuppy ... we need to have some sort of 'Patches' reference for each release.

An example of what I'm taking about is on the wiki at http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/JJGDev (top half). This provides a smaller page to access but there are links to relevant infomation for those who are interested. The current page http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/KrazyPuppy doesn't need all the explanation, etc. directly on the page - the detail can be links off this page.

We need to cater for our entire audience - the people who are just interested in getting the latest downloads; those who want to know more background; those who want to know all the details, including development... but all of that detail doesn't have to be content on a 'download' page -- it just needs to be accessible from there.

Also, a 'real' announcements page in the wiki (or forum) is required. This would not be a place for discussion but purely announcements. There are discussion threads in there at present that are not announcements and it just adds to the amount of guff that people have to sift through to get to the 'important' information.

flavour

#31 Post by flavour »

I think a bugtracker could be useful to help ensure that reported bugs get fixed.
I have set one up to play with at:
http://mantis.partyvibe.com/

Feel free to give it a poke...

F