Problems booting Chubby from WinXP

Booting, installing, newbie
Hank

Problems booting Chubby from WinXP

#1 Post by Hank »

Hi,
I've downloaded chubby 105 and have followed tempestuous's guidelines for running puppy from NTFS partition and had problems on the boot, namely the usb drivers won't load. Anyone else having the same problem?
Experience is a wonderful thing; it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ICPUG

#2 Post by ICPUG »

Hank

There appears to be a remastering problem with Chubby Puppy 1.0.5, dated 29 Sep.

I run Chubby Puppy from a FAT32 partition on my laptop via grub bootloader hooked into the Windows XP bootloader. I don't think this booting method is the cause of my woes.

When I boot up things run smoothly until I suddenly get a load of error lines as follows:

Loading USB base driver modules ...
FAILED TO LOAD USB BASE DRIVER MODULE!
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.29/scsi/scsi_mod.o.gz: No such file or directory
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.29/scsi/scsi_mod.o.gz failed
insmod: insmod sd_mod failed
Mounting usbfs: mount: mounting none on /proc/bus/usb failed: no such file or directory

The boot process now waits 60 seconds, (so I can read the messages I presume), but continues as normal until the Puppy desktop appears.

When I try and run MUT no partitions are displayed. When I use the other mounting tool the hard disk partitions are shown but my usb memory stick is not.

When I replaced usr_cram.fs, image.gz and vmlinuz with the standard Puppy 1.0.5 files (Sep 29th) everything worked. Consequently, I don't think it is my boot method causing the problem.

I see from another post in the bugs forum that a similar problem with Chubby installed to flash was solved by going back to the standard image.gz and increasing RAM DISK size. May try and see if this problem is solved the same way.

ICPUG

MU

#3 Post by MU »

here is the link of the post you refer to:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2634

greets, Mark

Hank

#4 Post by Hank »

ICPUG & MU, Thanks for the answer to this problem... The list of errors you received were exactly the same as what I was experiencing. I'll give the fix in the referred to url a shot later, when I have a chance.

Thanks again,
Hank
Experience is a wonderful thing; it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

gnomen

#5 Post by gnomen »

Since that was my problem in that thread I just thought I'd give a clarification. The problem was fixed by using the chubby image.gz and setting the ramdisk_size parameter. That is, NOT the standard image.gz

However it would boot by just changing to the standard image.gz as well resulting in puppy being confused as to the age of the usr.cram.fs file but otherwise seemingly fit for a fight. But I bet there is a valid reason the image-files are different
fake it until you make it

ICPUG

Problems booting chubby with WinXP (Solved)

#6 Post by ICPUG »

Guys,

I've been away for a day so could not report this before. This expands on what Gnomen says.

Time to grovel to Barry. My apologies. There is no remastering problem with Chubby Puppy as I surmised earlier! Because my laptop will not boot the Puppy CDs, (it always stops with a kernel image not found error), I could not see that the CD would boot to Chubby OK.

As Barry mentioned in the other post the ram disk size needs increasing. The isolinux.cfg file on the CD-ROM had been changed for Chubby 1.0.5. A similar change has to be made to my grub configuration.

All that was needed was to add the ramdisk_size parameter in the kernel line of my grub menu.lst configuration file. I was still using the image.gz from the Chubby Puppy disk. This kernel line in my system now reads:

Kernel (hd0,0)/boot/ChubbyPuppy105/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=13312 PFILE=pup001-none-262144

It all works as it should now.

ICPUG