Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 16:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio
sound card problem
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
varaahan

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan 2007, 12:11    Post_subject:  sound card problem  

I have recently installed Puppy 2.13 9all drivers) version and I have a problem with my sound card.
The mobo is Asus A8V-VM which uses onboard VIA AD1986A sound card.
This is identified by puppy and I could install it with alsaconf.
But while playiny a file using gxine, if I adjust the volume, sound goes off abruptly and I have to re-run alsaconf/alsamixer/alsactl store again.
How to rectify this?
metal1

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 17:38    Post_subject: Here Too
Sub_title: Asus Sound

I have sound problems as well. I tried to run Puppy 3.1 with my new pc but the sound card crashes the pc. It has the on-board Soundmax sound card. My MB is the Asus k8V SE Deluxe.
My old pc sound works with the add-on Audigy card but I have to start the sound in the Alsa mixer manually. Hope you get yours straightened out. Best of luck.
nic2109

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 18:39    Post_subject: Just to add to the general misery .......
Sub_title: ..... sound has never been any good in any Puppy I've tried so far

Just to add to the general misery ....... sound has never been any good in any Puppy I've tried so far.

I don't know whether that's something I'm failing to do, but out of the box it's always muffled and indistinct. Sadly using the ALSA wizard hasn't made much difference to me. I get stuck where it says "For adjustment of sounds use your favourite mixer". I don't have a favourite mixer (well I do but it's a Kitchen Aid!) so what do we need to do to make it sound half-decent? The Puppy Volume Mixer talks about "master", "pcm" and "input gain" - just what do these do? And what difference do the numbers make?

Lots of help needed, I fear.
metal1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2007, 14:43    Post_subject:  Mixer
Sub_title: Sound Settings

I am new to Puppy but I just set all the sliders to 100% and the sound is ok. Don't have much else to adjust I fear. Best of luck.
mdisaster2

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec 2007, 03:59    Post_subject:  

metal1:

I have the same MB (Asus K8V SE Deluxe), for what's worth the onboard audio works fine for me since version 2.14. Gxine does crash a lot , but this has been reported from owners of different audio cards as well.

Note that motherboard producers are known for using different audio chips on different revisions of the same motherboard (or even of the same revision for that matter). Soundmax is just a software layer but there is a onboard chip that does the actual job, so it could be worth figuring out what exactly your mobo is using - the Asus site says that the onboard chip is a ADI 1980, but I am pretty sure that my onboard sound is detected as a VIA 8237.

Another thing: with SPDIF audio the drivers control on which connector the audio is output, so it is worth trying out different connectors just in case.

Hope it helps...
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum