HD install stops at CD unmount

Booting, installing, newbie
Hoffmann

HD install stops at CD unmount

#1 Post by Hoffmann »

Hello.
I'm new to Linux/Puppy and want to re-use an old Pent MMX-200, 64MB RAM, CD-ROM, Floppy with Puppy, following the fine How-To for installing Puppy to HD.
After booting with the CD (getting the usual warnings that there is no way to store the settings and so on) I start the script for installing Puppy on HD.
On the Installation script when it comes to "inserting the CD", things get a little weird to me...
Puppy tries to unmount the CD-ROM drive, but can't and then says that I should try myself which I did (with the desktop-tools MUT), but couldn't either (because Puppy runs from that CD ?).
The CD is in the drive (from booting), but the script can't copy the needed file(s), so it quits...

I hope that these infos are not to scrambled and somebody could give me a hint.

Greetings from germany

Edgar Hoffmann

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

You may need more RAM to allow Puppy to run in RAM or create a swap partition.

If Puppy does not have enough RAM it will run from the CD but if it has a swap partition it might be able to load some pages into the swap partition and free up the CD.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

I think the problem is with only 64 MB RAM, Puppy didn't even try and install (copy) the usr_cram.fs to RAM. It uses it off the CD.

I could think up a couple work arounds for this. I woud unfortunately involve a some work. Edgar, are you still following this thread?