How does the News ticker work?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Lobster
Official Crustacean

How does the News ticker work?

#1 Post by Lobster »

With the News ticker in 1.0.5 I am just get a logo appearing (after clicking on the various options . . .) What am I doing wrong?
I am sure there must be some news happening - or has the world been stunned into silence at the new Puppy 1.0.5? ( m m m . . . should have thought of that . . .)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I just stuck it into 1.0.5 without any testing, just presumed it
was working.

Maybe Puppian will have to take a look at it.

puppian

#3 Post by puppian »

I think I know the answer:

Run it from /usr/local/apps/Ticker (click the icon) instead of the start menu and it should work.

Reason:
I've put a line "mkdir /root/.ticker" in the AppRun script in /usr/local/apps/Ticker. That creates a folder ".ticker" in /root, which is essential for the program to work.

Currently the line in .jwmrc that runs ticker from the start menu is "exec ticker2" (but not exec /usr/local/apps/Ticker/AppRun), which doesn't create the needed folder. I should have included that folder in the dotpup besides putting the mkdir line in AppRun :oops:

I haven't got it work as my modem doesn't like the new puppy... so please report back after testing the solution above :)
Last edited by puppian on Sat 01 Oct 2005, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Puppian,
so a little script in /usr/local/bin:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/apps/ticker
exec ticker2

The Unleashed package is here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... packages-1

it is called ticker-0005a.tar.gz

You can open it:
# tar -zxf ticker-005a.tar.gz

make mods, then put it together again:
# tar -c -f ticker-005a.tar ticker-005a/
# gzip ticker-005a.tar

When you have it open, you can also create /root0/.ticker,
so AppRun will not be required.

After fixing it, send it to me.

Regards,
BarryK
bkaulerATgooseeDOTcom

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/apps/Ticker
exec /usr/local/apps/Ticker/ticker2
Ah, the package already has ticker2 script in /usr/local/bin.
Just needs that pre-created directory .ticker.

Puppian, any other changes you want to make, do it to that
Unleashed package and email to me, is easiest way for me.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo has created a Service Pack for Puppy 1.0.5.
I have asked him to put the fix for Ticker into it.
See:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=15855#15855

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

i made a Ticker bugfix dotpup ... i won't put a bigfix in the bugfix package until it seems to be working properly

puppian_Guest

#8 Post by puppian_Guest »

puppian wrote:I should have included that folder in the dotpup besides putting the mkdir line in AppRun :oops:
I'm wrong here, nothing should be (can be) put in /root.

And sorry I think I haven't make it clear:

The ONLY change that needs for it to work is change the line that execute ticker (in .jwmrc) to exec /usr/local/apps/Ticker/AppRun

The directory /root/.ticker only needs to be created once (when the user run the program the first time from the start menu). No need for it to be created everytime in fact. So I don't think it's neccessary for the script 'ticker2' and 'ticker' to be able to make the directory. AppRun will do that, and I think most people will start it the first time from the start menu.

But of course, the mkdir /root/.ticker line can be added to 'ticker2' and 'ticker' too, if someone thinks that's better.

PS. G2 your fix looks too complex to me... just running the program from /usr/local/apps/Ticker should be fine. And after that 'ticker2' and 'ticker' should work from the command line too, as /root/.ticker has already been created. Have you tried that and does that work?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

And sorry I think I haven't make it clear:

The ONLY change that needs for it to work is change the line that execute ticker (in .jwmrc) to exec /usr/local/apps/Ticker/AppRun
i find that on my machine, connected to the internet with an adsl connection, that the ticker does not seem to work properly

it starts and displays the name of the ticker program, and does nothing else ... it does not tick
it does download the file to /root/.ticker ... but the ticker doesn't use it

if i change wget & to wget, it seems to work ok on my machine ... or i can put a sleep 1 command before the exec ticker.app, that also seems to work

but no, the ticker does not seem to work properly on my machine

the way i did it:

1) the roxapp works the way a roxapp should ... if you click it it works ... a roxapp really should not be run by directly accessing the files inside the folder ... usually a roxapp can run where ever you put it ... this one won't work if you move it, which is probably not important

2) ticker and ticker2 (identical files after my bugfix) start the roxapp using rox ... as if you clicked the roxapp in rox ... there are advantages to that, rox automatically runs it as a background process

3) it should not be necessary to change any menus ... whether it is run as ticker or ticker2, it should work

anyway, the bugfix seems to run ok on my machine ... it did not run well before the bugfix

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

Just to confirm - ticker working after G2's Bug fix :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

puppian

#11 Post by puppian »

BarryK wrote:When you have it open, you can also create /root0/.ticker,
so AppRun will not be required.
Oh yes, that should work for most people. I didn't know /root0/ before, perhaps I should go for a 'Puppy Class' or 'Linux Class' :D
GuestToo wrote:i find that on my machine, connected to the internet with an adsl connection, that the ticker does not seem to work properly
I see. You mentioned that in your other post :oops:
So do you mean that you have never got ticker to work in Puppy 1.03 or 1.04 too (with my old dotpup that install into /root/my-application)?
GuestToo wrote:it starts and displays the name of the ticker program, and does nothing else ... it does not tick
it does download the file to /root/.ticker ... but the ticker doesn't use it

if i change wget & to wget, it seems to work ok on my machine ... or i can put a sleep 1 command before the exec ticker.app, that also seems to work
That happened to me before and I added "&" after the line below (in the files bbcuk, timeworld, etc)

Code: Select all

sed 's/.*<title>//g' | sed 's/<\/title>.*//g' > $OUTPUT
the line becomes:

sed 's/.*<title>//g' | sed 's/<\/title>.*//g' > $OUTPUT &
And that fix it. I don't know why that doesn't work on your machine (does dialup / adsl make a difference?). It seems that no one has complained about that before... we need more people to confirm this bug :)
GuestToo wrote:1) the roxapp works the way a roxapp should ... if you click it it works ... a roxapp really should not be run by directly accessing the files inside the folder ... usually a roxapp can run where ever you put it ... this one won't work if you move it, which is probably not important

2) ticker and ticker2 (identical files after my bugfix) start the roxapp using rox ... as if you clicked the roxapp in rox ... there are advantages to that, rox automatically runs it as a background process
That's a good change! Thanks for that :)
I want to do it myself, just don't know how to (and is too lazy to learn).
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

puppian

#12 Post by puppian »

Lobster wrote:Just to confirm - ticker working after G2's Bug fix :)
Lobster, are you using adsl or dialup?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

So do you mean that you have never got ticker to work in Puppy 1.03 or 1.04 too
i have not tried your ticker program until today
That happened to me before and I added "&" after the line
that is what does not seem to work on my machine ... usually the ticker shows the name of the ticker app and does not do anything else ... if i remove the &, it works ok

maybe what is happening is that wget is writing to the file at the same time that ticker.app is starting ... with dialup there may be a pause until the file downloads

when you click a roxapp, it runs AppRun ... but the working dir will not be the dir of the roxapp ... in your case the working dir would probably be /usr/local/apps/ (or maybe it's /root, i don't remember) ... that's what the APPDIR variable is for ... and it usually lets you move the roxapp anywhere you like and it will still work

anyway, it did not seem to work well ... when i took out the &'s or added a sleep 1 command, it seemed to work ok ... maybe it would work if ticker.app started first, then wget, maybe with a sleep 1 command ... i have not tried that yet

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#14 Post by GuestToo »

i just tried this:

ticker.app &
wget

this seems to work ok too

this might be safer:

ticker.app &
sleep 1
wget

maybe the problem occurs if wget is writing the file at the same time ticker.app is reading it

anyway, what happens is, the ticker starts, displays the name of the ticker program, and does not do anything else ... it does not display the file, which is there in /root/.ticker ... it does not always freeze, it sometimes works ok ... but most of the time it just freezes ... with any of the bugfix methods, it seems to work ok

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

puppian wrote:
Lobster wrote:Just to confirm - ticker working after G2's Bug fix :)
Lobster, are you using adsl or dialup?
ADSL
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#16 Post by Guest »

puppian wrote:That happened to me before and I added "&" after the line below (in the files bbcuk, timeworld, etc)

sed 's/.*<title>//g' | sed 's/<\/title>.*//g' > $OUTPUT
the line becomes:

sed 's/.*<title>//g' | sed 's/<\/title>.*//g' > $OUTPUT &
And that fix it.
Sorry I remembered it wrong!! :oops: :oops:

Now I remember... I put the "&" there because if I don't do that, people will see nothing (for a few seconds) after clicking the cat button (I guess this only happens for slow connection).
The bar at top left will only appears after the news download has finished. So I added the "&" to put the download process to background, so that people will still see something (the bar showing the 'logo', though the news are still being downloaded.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

I put the "&" there because if I don't do that, people will see nothing (for a few seconds) after clicking the cat button
this method solves that problem:

ticker.app &
wget

the ticker starts immediately, the ticker window appears immediately, and wget can take all the time it needs in the background

puppian

#18 Post by puppian »

You are right.

Both

ticker.app &
wget

And

ticker.app &
sleep 1
wget

works!

I tested it on 1.0.3, dialup connection. I haven't test the whole bugfix as I already have some ticker stuff installed (/root/my-application, /usr, every where :)). I just edited the file 'bbcuk' and that works.

So I think we need more people (esp. those using dialup) to confirm it.

PS. Thanks for discovering that :)
(and thanks for testing it Lobster)