No sound; can't write GRUB to HD; how to uninstall programs?

Booting, installing, newbie
ARAN

No sound; can't write GRUB to HD; how to uninstall programs?

#1 Post by ARAN »

Hello !

As first thanks a lot to the developers for this great Linux Distro.
I like the way which Puppy is going a lot.

I have here some problems with Puppy on my PC and i hope that somebody of the developers how want to make Puppy better can maybe read this posting and try to help or to change some things for the next release.

First problem is that i dont have any sound.
lsmod in the terminal give as result this here
Module Size Used by Not tainted
sb 7700 0 (unused)
sb_lib 34286 0 [sb]
uart401 6180 0 [sb_lib]
sound 55112 0 [sb_lib uart401]
soundcore 3588 5 (autoclean) [sb_lib sound]
sr_mod 14488 0 (unused)
ide-cd 29504 0
cdrom 27744 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
sd_mod 11404 0 (unused)
3c59x 26800 1 (autoclean)
scsi_mod 93972 2 [sr_mod sd_mod]
For some reason the programm "Xproc" dont show something in the tab "sound". I dont know why.
In windows the hardware detection has give the result that the sound card is a "Soundblaster 16 AWE-32".

Second Problem is Grub.
I have in my PC two hardisc on the two controllers.
On the first controller there is the Harddisc with the main Partition C and the OS "Windows".
On the second Controller i have the second Harddisc where Puppy is installed.
Everytime i try to install grub on the First Boot Harddisk where Windows is Located i became allways the error Message that Puppy cant write Grub on Windows becose its not Linux ?
Why cant puppy install Grub like other Distros only for Example Ubuntu directly and without any problems to the Harddisk where windows is located.
Why such complicated ?

Third problem how can i delete programs that i dont like in Puppy.
In the wiki i dont have find something which explain that.

Thanks in advance for help.
Greetings aran.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Hi,

very detailed questions :)

- Soundcard:

There are plans of using Alsa instead of OSS in future.
It is newer and should support more soundcards (unfortunately not mine, a intel).
Apart from that there seems to be stablished a new system called "Jack", but I don't know if there are plans for Puppy to use it.

- Grub:
I just made an Installer for Windows XP, that uses WinGrub.
You could install it, then run directly "install Wingrub"(without downloading puppy).

But first you must open menu.lst in the folder c:\program files\puppy...\puppyboot and edit the location of your harddrive (hda1,0 I suspect).
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2525

It should work now after several problems, but I got nice feedback that helped tracking errors down.

- Remove Programs:
Some you can remove in Pupget (Start - Setup).

Some cannot be removed, as they are in usr_cram.fs (a writeprotected file), kind of "integral part of Puppy". You just could remove them by remastering a CD.

If you installed others as "Dotpups" it depends on how they were created.
Some have an inbuilt uninstaller, if you click the .pup again, it will uninstall.
Someregister to Pupget, and can be uninstalled only using Pupget.

Some (mostly older) must be deleted manually in the filestructure.

Dotpups were not official part in the beginning, more something like a mixture of ".zip and setup.exe".
Later there was tried to get better integration in the internal Packagemanager Pupget.

Greets, Mark

#3 Post by Guest »

I can't tell by your post if you have a Linux partition. If not then GRUB won't install.

In any case, Mark's GRUB solution is IMO the way to go.