Puppy doesn't recognize Conexant nor Xircom modems

jim simon

Puppy doesn't recognize Conexant nor Xircom modems

#1 Post by jim simon »

Earlier I posted at Beginners Help Forum (url below), but I think I made a newbie error and should have posted on this Dialup forum. Please read my post at url below and answer on this Dialup forum. Thank You.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 174#159174

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Hi Jim,

modem-wizard was the default modem handler in puppy versions prior to 2.17, (I think?). I've forgotten what Barry's new modem script is called, but I know it has a button to rescan for your modem. Have you tried doing this?

If that's not successful, I'm sure the old modem-wizard must be in your pup3.01. To open up a console, Menu->Utility->Rxvt, or click on the destop icon that looks a computer monitor.

Then enter modem-wizard. A window should open up with buttons for ttyS0, ttyS1 etc. If you're sure the Xircom is on ttyS4, but for some reason when you select this, the modem-wizard doesn't see the modem, still try selecting it & clicking SAVE, as this works for my modem.

If still no luck, see if entering the following, in a console window, detects your modem:

wvdialconf create

The thing with the conexant modem, and pup3, (or any pupversion with a 2.6 kernel), is that a free driver is available, from linuxant, but it's speed restricted to about 14.4k. To remove the restriction you need to buy a license for about $US20.

Jcoder did mention that a work-around may have been found for this, but I'm not aware whether this has been resolved or not.

jim simon

#3 Post by jim simon »

Thanks for the help Muggin. I entered and saved S4 and things were happening kind of fast, but anyway it seems to be working fine. I got the connection made. Appreciate the help. that little monitor on the desktop and that code was what I needed. thanks again.