remastered cd with xfbdev won't boot on Thinkpad600

Using applications, configuring, problems
mclien

remastered cd with xfbdev won't boot on Thinkpad600

#1 Post by mclien »

OK, perhaps I'm just to stupid to use the right search words.

What I've done: ion 1.0.5 I ran the 'create custom puppy live-cd'
all I changed was: remove the xvesa package and add the xfbdev package.

And then build the new cd. This was to get puppy working on a IBM Thinkpad600, which don't support the xvesa display manager.

while booting from this new CD I get severall error messages like ths:

'cannot create /new_root/root.0/etc/ramdisksize no such file or dir'
'cannot create /new_root/root.0/etc/ramdiskfssize no such file or dir'
and finally it hangs wich this message:
'cannot create regular file '/tmp/rc.reboot'

So what is my mistake while creating the new live CD?

#2 Post by Guest »

I would also like help with this same problem of creating a new puppy cd with xfbdev instead of xvesa as that's the only way I'll get X to run with Puppy on my older model laptop. I added "modules_fb-k2.4.29" and "xfbdev-4.3.0v2xkd" and removed xvesa from the new cd and burt the iso. When I boot the new cd it fails half way through the boot process when it trys to create a directory:

freeing unused kernel memory:132k freed
mkdir: cannot create directory '/new_root': no space left on device
mount: Mounting tmpfs on /new_root failed no such file or directory
Pausing for 60 seconds

I'm creating the cd on a p3 desktop but the target laptop is a Toshiba p2 400MHz with 192M ram. It runs several other full sized distros very well so it would be a shame not to get Puppy running due to it not liking xvesa as I'm sure there would be a speed advantage in the smaller distro. Any help appreciated.
Bill
bill dot christiansen at gmail.com

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

I tried again, this time using the full Puppy_Unleashed procedure instead of the "Create custom Puppy Livecd" option from the menu. The cd I created booted without errors but when I tested the framebuffer driver I got a garbage screen and system locked up so I had to press and hold the power button to shut it down. So it seems that neither of the xservers work with this laptop, strange though as I have used fbdev in DSL and that worked and with the larger distros the trident driver and xorg works.
Bill

velcrofog

1.05 and framebuffer

#4 Post by velcrofog »

Hello. I'm running a Thinkpad 600 as well, and would like to run 1.05 (chubby variety, actually, and thanks for building that for the unleashed-disabled among us). It was Bladehunter who made the old framebuffer-enabled iso, and he's retired, so I'm not sure what my chances are. I tried using the puppy unleashed wizard on my modern desktop, but I can't get it to mount the hdb1 linux partition I made for it, and so the wizard will not let me proceed. So if I can't use puppy unleashed to make myself a framebuffer-enabled package, is there some other way?

By the way, 1.05 looks great, and the new unleashed wizard looks like exactly what I was dreaming of, so I am looking forward to getting it runnign some day. For now, though, I need to get my laptop running right again (after trying 1.05 I ended up having to delete my pup001 file and reloading the old framebuffer-enabled version). Now I'm trying to remember how I installed OOo from the self-installing tar.gz files. Stupid memory--where'd I put you again?

-Velcro