usb mouse / keyboard trouble

Using applications, configuring, problems
jh

usb mouse / keyboard trouble

#1 Post by jh »

I'm running Puppy 1.0.5 as a live-cd, and previously ran 1.0.4 as live-cd. I've recently re-arranged my PCs, monitors, and cabling -- and now I'm having problems getting my keyboard and mouse working over USB.

I have a PS/2 Keyboard and a Logitech optical wheel mouse which can be used as USB or PS/2. Under my new cabling arrangement, the mouse and keyboard are plugged into a PS/2 - to - USB "Y" adapter that converts them to a single USB. The USB end then goes into a powered USB hub in my Dell 1704FPV monitor. The hub's USB cable then goes to the PC. Sounds complicated, but it works fine with WinXP, Kanotix, Slax, and Xandros 2.0.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with Puppy 1.0.5. The mouse and keyboard aren't recognized automatically.

If I plug in another PS/2 keyboard so that I can rm /etc/mousedevice and restart xwin, I get the USB-connected keyboard to work, but the mouse only moves in the vertical plane.

If I plug the mouse in directly to the PC as a USB mouse it works. But as soon as I go to the mouse / keyboard wizard the mouse and USB-connected keyboard stop working.

It may sound like I'm trying to do something pointless, but there is a point. My Dell monitor allows both DVI and analog inputs, so my goal is to have my PC connected via analog, and my Mac connected via DVI, and then use a USB switch to share my keyboard and mouse. (The Mac under OS/X is also OK with my new cabling arrangement.) This avoids the signal loss you get with a KVM switch.

Any ideas how to get Puppy to go along with the plan? Thanks!
Last edited by jh on Sun 02 Oct 2005, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

dvw86

#2 Post by dvw86 »

Try puppy 1.0.3. I have had trouble with 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 when using USB mice/keyboards with USB hubs.

jh

#3 Post by jh »

I gave 1.0.3 a try, but it didn't work any different from 1.0.5 for me.

What is currently working for me is the following:

1. Removed mouse from "Y" connector and plugged in to powered usb hub in monitor. Keyboard is still plugged into "Y" connector.

2. Booted with extra PS/2 keyboard connected.

3. CTL-ALT-Backspace from PS/2 keyboard.

4. rm /etc/mousedevice

5. startx

6. choose usb mouse and scrollwheel

USB mouse then works, as does keyboard connected to "Y" connector.

7. Power down. Remove extra PS/2 keyboard. Power up and the usb stuff still works.

Big CAVEAT: I have to stay away from the mouse and keyboard wizard. If I access that program my usb mouse and keyboard stop working and won't work after rebooting either.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Here's a thread that might be some help