Siemens NIXDORF PCD-5ND video problem

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
ceroTHD_

Siemens NIXDORF PCD-5ND video problem

#1 Post by ceroTHD_ »

Hello everyone!
I was just trying to install puppy 3.01 to a recently recovered laptop, the PCD-5ND by Siemens. I took out the harddrive and connected it via USB to another PC. In this PC, I ran Puppy 3.01 from the CD (which loaded successfully) and started the installation on the USB HD. This HD is of 1GB, I left around 850mb for primary partition (EXT3, FLAG=BOOT) and the rest for linux swap.
Installation was successfull. I modified the line from "extlinux.cfg" from "usbhd" to "hd", because if I didn't, the system wouldn't find the pup_301.sfs.
Inserted the laptop HD in the laptop, turned power on. Everything OK, Kernel OK, keyboard ok, mouse ok..... but, when the final screen pops up, the one to choose between XORG or XVESA, the system blanks, after selecting either one.
I have already tried the two options and none works. I think it is a video recognition problem, but frankly I don't know.
Is there a solution for this??
Thanks for any help!

ceroTHD_

#2 Post by ceroTHD_ »

My mistake. No video problem. The issue was that I was doing a frugal install on the HD, and when it loaded into the laptop's RAM it ran out of memory.
Although I can't manage to do a full installation on an USB hard disk.
Any help?
Thanks