New to PuppyLinux, any success with WINE?

Booting, installing, newbie
jcagle

New to PuppyLinux, any success with WINE?

#1 Post by jcagle »

Hello everyone.

I am new to PuppyLinux, but have had experience with other Linux distributions.

I was wanting to know if anyone here has had any success with Wine. I've tried both the source package and the binary package, and I've not been able to install it.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying PuppyLinux. I chose it because right now I'm using my mother's computer and she would kill me if I made changes to the computer and she didn't know how to get around it.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=80066

Downloaded the build from August 30.

Saved it to /
unrpm wine-20050830-mdk.i586.rpm

This gave me some errors as librpm4.2 and some more were missing, so I copied them over from my Mandrake.

Then unrpm worked.

Now run winecfg
I set up C: to an existing Win98 - installation I once made for Win4Linux (Mandrake)

Thats it :)

Mark

MU

#3 Post by MU »

here are the libs for unrpm: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 5765#15765

Tell me, if I forgot one.

jcagle

#4 Post by jcagle »

Apparently RPM didn't come with my distribution of PuppyLinux.

I downloaded and installed those packages you linked to, thinking maybe it came with unrpm, and figuring I'd need it anyway to install newer packages. I tried it and unrpm didn't work. I even rebooted and tried it again, and still didn't work.

Anyway I'm sure I can find it on the internet, but feel free to post a link just in case.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

unrpm can be installed using the dotpupdownloader in the jwm-menue.

Or manually from this site:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPups

Direct link:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=54

If you still get errors using unrpm (run it in rxvt), please post the error here, so that I can update the libraries needed.

Mark

jcagle

#6 Post by jcagle »

ok, I've got RPM installed now and I'm currently downloading the RPM of Wine. Hopefully this will work.

It's been a while since I've used Linux and I had forgotten how much faster things seem to download in Linux than they do in Windows.

I'm on Dial-up. I think they've finally started offering some high speed access now, but we haven't looked into it yet. I see that my Lucent Technologies winmodem works with the drivers now.

Anyway I was looking at PuppyLinux to be a temporary solution until I got a new computer where I'd be free to put Linux on, but I may find this to be a permanant solution. I like what I see so far.

Finally I'm back to my playground. :D

jcagle

#7 Post by jcagle »

It's working. Thanks. :D

MU

#8 Post by MU »

fine :)

Nathan F

#9 Post by Nathan F »

I've been working along these lines but trying to get wine to compile using puppy itself. I kept running out of space in my pupfile, even after I increased it's size to 1300mb. I've moved the process over to another computer today where I can use a seperate partition for the build, and I fully expect it to be able to finish this time.

Ihope you don't mind since you got to the finish line first, but if I can get a working wine install this way I think I'll package it up for others to use as I think this will be somewhat better having been compiled fresh for puppy.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan F

#10 Post by Nathan F »

Wine finished building without any errors while I was at work today. I haven't tested or tried to install anything yet. I have to go out of town for busineass for a few days, but look for something in the announcements secton maybe later this week.

Nathan

MU

#11 Post by MU »

ok, I will like to test it :)

Mark

flamesage2

#12 Post by flamesage2 »

Someone PLEASE make a .pup for WINE!

That would be the greatest thing in the world.

(PS: Eventually reinstalled Windows XP, im likeing it more now than before, mainly because I installed anti-spyware and anti-virus, but I still urn for my puppy!)

Prob gona duel boot.

TTYL Guys!