Does this line suppose to ask for the password or ....

Using applications, configuring, problems
miamuy

Does this line suppose to ask for the password or ....

#1 Post by miamuy »

hi guys :)

i'm tinkering with rc.d and find this code.

Code: Select all

echo "$PASSPFILE" | losetup-FULL -e xor /dev/loop1 $HOMEDIR/$NAMEPFILE
my goal is to create a file automatically (like pup001) with password

Code: Select all

mkdir /part
 dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/home/mypup003 bs=1k count=750000
  echo "passwordkoto" | losetup-FULL -e xor /dev/loop2 /mnt/home/mypup003
  mkfs -t ext2 /dev/loop2 750000
  mount -t ext2 /dev/loop2 /part
the script always ask for a password. please correct me. my thought is, "passwordkoto" will be pipped to losetup-FULL to take it as it's password and don't stop to ask me for a password. is there a way i can make a passworded file that does not ask me for a password? is this the correct way?

other than the password thing, it does what it supposed to do... created a passworded mypup003 file (though i don't want the script to ask me for a password)

thanks guys :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You want the mypup003 file to be password protected, but you want Puppy to automatically supply the password without being prompted? You ask if this is the correct way. I have to ask, what do you want to accomplish?

Assuming you have Puppy installed on a hard drive along with the mypup003, if you want to secure the mypup003 file against unauthorized access I don't think that what you propose will do it. The mypup003 file will be accessible to anyone who boots Puppy on that computer. You could require a password to boot Puppy, but then you would still have the problem of remembering and entering a password so you wouldn't have gained anything.

Your idea might work well for other combinations though. For instance, if the mypup003 file is on a flash drive which you keep separate from the computer where Puppy is installed, the mypup003 file presumably could not be opened on another computer.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Someone else was working on a similar situation and I advised them to investigate
tinylogin[/b - go to Start / help for details.

Not sure if anyone is using this - let us know
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

miamuy

#4 Post by miamuy »

thanks guys for the quick reply...
Flash wrote:You want the mypup003 file to be password protected, but you want Puppy to automatically supply the password without being prompted? You ask if this is the correct way. I have to ask, what do you want to accomplish?
i'm totally new with "bash"/script-programming, so forgive me if i'm asking very newb questions, but i'm trying to learn :) .

the script in my first post is generated by a 1st script that do ask the password and it's not inserted in rc.d (just another customized script).

what i'm trying to figure-out or accomplish is/are:
1. to enter the password in 1st script,
2. create a 2nd script that includes a password (this password is added with generated characters based on some conditions) for that file &
3. delete that 2nd script.

right now, i'm entering the password in the 1st script, then another password (with the added characters) to the 2nd script.

wheew, i'm having hard time constructing my english heh.

thanks, :-)
miamuy

kamranzaidi

Chubby puppy 1.0.5 asks password+usb keyboard issue.

#5 Post by kamranzaidi »

puppy 1.0.5 asks for passward when i use live cd on my laptop (XP) which ias 256 ram but same cd boots fine on my desktop which is has redhat.

i m not sure if my cd has some problem... in both case i am unable to use keyboard. desktop has a usb keyboard... it seems that 1.0.2 puppy did'nt had any kind of usb keyboard problem..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

The standard cause of this problem is Puppy finding a corrupt pup001 file somewhere when it boots. Check your hard drive for a pup001 file that shouldn't be there. Delete it if you find one.

kamranzaidi

#7 Post by kamranzaidi »

On my Win xp laptop, there is'nt any pup001 file as i m booting it very first time with puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Hmm. Well, just for fun, what happens if you use boot option 3 (I think that's the one to "Choose HD") then choose to boot with no HD?

kamranzaidi

#9 Post by kamranzaidi »

Both option 1 n 3 gives me same "password problem". I tryied option 2 and connected USB drive, it seems, puppy saving data on USB, at the end of boot process, i got error saying .fs file did not mounted properly on /usr.

I am going to copy puppy001 on my hd and will try again. Note same cd is working fine on my desktop.