pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Henry

#41 Post by Henry »

Zigbert,

I looked at this again and here is what I see. First, the wording is confusing. "Add selection [mouse right]" might mean "right click" or drag to right" to someone, neither of which works, and may result in the message "Busy, please wait," or eventually (not sure of the sequence) to the problem described.

Look at how clear and simple the Puppy Package Manager is for this operation - just two words with right/left arrows. Why could we not be consistent with that? Also, I guess we don't need "Add all."

zigbert

#42 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.5 is uploaded. See main post.

Henry and Dingo. Please test this one, and give feedback. We must try to track this bug. I still wonder. Do your Pburn interfere with any fat/msdos filesystems.
I looked at this again and here is what I see. First, the wording is confusing. "Add selection [mouse right]" might mean "right click" or drag to right" to someone, neither of which works, and may result in the message "Busy, please wait," or eventually (not sure of the sequence) to the problem described.
Yeah 'right click' is better than 'mouse right', - thanks. Please check if Pburn makes links in /TEMPORARY_STOTAGE/burn/ when 'right click'. Is it the same when using search function? What about 'add all'?
Look at how clear and simple the Puppy Package Manager is for this operation - just two words with right/left arrows. Why could we not be consistent with that?
Petget uses Xdialog for gui, which is VERY limited. No...that is not the right way to build a burner app!!!
Also, I guess we don't need "Add all."
I guess we do not agree on everything :wink:
Also, I don't quite understand about the temporary storage for CD burning, where the storage is, and how to increase it.
I will try to organize this part better. Thanks for input.

Sigmund

Dingo

#43 Post by Dingo »

first of all, thanks for your efforts. I have upgraded (uninstalling previous version and deleting .pburnrc in /root/) to pburn 0.5, but the problem (the same) stills! I cannot add any file. Only directories and these, are addes, yes, but empties, without the files inside

I have also done an interesting discovery: if the temporary burning directory is setted on a vfat partition (my hard disk formatted in FAT32) I cannot add single files or directories with files inside

but leaving settings for temporary burning directory by default (/tmp/ on puppy filesystem) it works!

Yes, it works, but a lot of space is required. assuming I want burn a 700 Mb in one ot two times, I must have the same free space on puppy (frugal installation)

Since actually my pup_save file has 416 MB of size (frugal installation), is not convenient to use pburn for frugal install users

adding simlink from vfat partition to directory on pup_save file neither works

I think your program is very useful for all litte sized frugal install if it's any way to solve this problem

Henry

#44 Post by Henry »

v.5 is different in that the selection panel works and the right click selection is nice.

I normally use a 512M config file, no reason to use larger (just increases the backup size), but I changed it to 1024 to test pburn.

It cannot burn a CD or a DVD. It starts to but always stops with the message: "Not enough space in temporary storage." After that the file selection does not work right until I restart pburn.

Mine is a very clean Nop 3.01 live cd with hdd config file system. Lots of space on the (fat32) hard drive. Xfce and everything else works perfectly!
Last edited by Henry on Wed 19 Dec 2007, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#45 Post by zigbert »

* Pburn 0.5 gives you the option to burn on-the-fly. This means to burn without using any temporary storage.
* Pointing temporary storage to a vfat filesystem will not work. I will either fix this or make an errorcheck.
* It would be nice to see if Henrys error is a because of Nop 301 or something else. If you would try Barrys latest Puppy 4.00 alpha3, Pburn is builtin.

Thanks for you bug-tracking effort
Sigmund

Henry

#46 Post by Henry »

I tried burn on the fly also with same result. I'm pretty sure I was able to burn a DVD, but not a CD, before with v 0.4, but not with 0.5.
Last edited by Henry on Mon 24 Dec 2007, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#47 Post by zigbert »

I have fixed Pburn to work with a vfat temporary storage. Look out for version 0.6. Thank you guys, for pointing this out.

Dingo

#48 Post by Dingo »

zigbert wrote:I have fixed Pburn to work with a vfat temporary storage. Look out for version 0.6. Thank you guys, for pointing this out.
Thanks Zig! can you give us a download link for this release?

zigbert

#49 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.6 is uploaded. See main post.

Henry

#50 Post by Henry »

Good morning, Zigbert,

You have been busy!! The new GUI and help files are very fine.

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Mon 24 Dec 2007, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Dingo

#51 Post by Dingo »

The same for me

a couple of problems still

on puppy 3.0.1

1= temp storage:

I have tried to change storage setting in an empty directory on a vfat filesystem, but, after folder selection, the box shows not to me the path. stills blank so, the temp storage is setted somewhere on the pup_save file (to tmp directory I think) not so good thing. Maybe, it's a problem to move temp storage directory in the program?

now:

choosing to leave the settings to default (temp storage on pup_save file) The burn works, fully without problems

cheking box to choose burning on fly, gives an error

INPUT BUFFER ERROR

2= other problem (lesser)

after importing previous disc sessions, the filesize of imported files from session is showed as 0

Henry

Excellent burner

#52 Post by Henry »

Hi, Zigbert,

Merry Christmas!

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Mon 24 Dec 2007, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#53 Post by zigbert »

Dingo
Your #1: When choosing a directory, you must select the dir in the right panel. (not dig inside it). This is somewhat unlogical, and I will rethink this.

your #2: Size of file from imported sessions are not meant to be shown.

Henry
Burning on-the-fly is much easier with DVDs. If you check the 'advanced' - you'll see the burning command. If you ever dive into this, and gets your CDs burnt on-the-fly, please tell us what commandline you get. Burning on-the-fly CDs seems be more system-sensitive than the 'growisofs' command used for DVDs. I'm not at all any kind of guru, - so I want feedback to optimize the burning parameters.

Merry christmas
Sigmund

Henry

#54 Post by Henry »

Good morning, Sigmund,

Apologies for my confusion earlier. V.0.6 is working fine now for me. You are to be congratulated for a very nice app. I am editing out my post above.

Henry

zigbert

#55 Post by zigbert »

Henry. - That's good to hear. What a nice christmas gift to get. I guess that means it is time to look at the language support.

Sigmund

magerlab

#56 Post by magerlab »

Hello, Zigbert!
Happy new year!
does it mean that i can start to translate pburn?

pbackup
and pfind are in work( i was a bit busy with my small children)

can you explain somewhere how your locale support works?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#57 Post by BarryK »

I have tested Pburn, and I have a very long list of problems. I didn't try a CD, only a DVD, and tested on Dingo.

/proc/ide does not exist in Dingo. All CD/DVD drives are now /dev/sr* and 'probdisk' finds them, or you can look in /sys/block.

The first time I tried it, I ran pburn from a terminal, and choose a directory to burn, clicked "Burn" button, then got the Preferences window -- however that was too late as I saw lots of messages that /tmp had become full. That's all wrong, should default to "on the fly" to avoid such a problem.

Second attempt, I ran Preferences first, chose DVD and on-the-fly, but the "Advanced" option to edit the commandline did not work at all.

I wanted to edit the commandline, as Rockridge option should use '-R' and not '-r', as the latter modifies file attributes to read-only which is bad when files are recovered off the DVD.

When the Preferences window was up, the terminal window kept writing lines about "/tmp/pburn-splash: no such file", continuously, scrolling off the window.

When I clicked the Burn button, a great many error messages in the terminal, including something like "/usr/local/pburn/func-exec: line 13: /tmp/pburn-log: no space left on device" -- but it was a new DVD-R.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#58 Post by BarryK »

zigbert,
One thing I don't understand. You have done it the same way that nathan did, creating a directory in /tmp with symlinks in the case of on-the-fly, but perhaps that isn't necessary. A list of directories and files can be supplied to be burnt, without needing to build a directory of symlinks -- it has been awhile, but I seem to remember that is possible.

Note, I've never had any problem with on-the-fly burning of CDs or DVDs, I think it should be the default for both cases.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

zigbert

#59 Post by zigbert »

magerlab
In basic you translate the language template and helpfile, and changes filename from english to russian. If files are put into same directory as the english files, program will autodetect new language, and it is then available in 'configure'. To build a new package of russian pbackup you repack it after language is changed. Also keep the configfile in /root/...(.pbackup/pbackuprc or .pfindrc). Please wait to translate Pburn until it reaches beta release. That will be Pburn 0.9.

BarryK
Great bugreport, but I can't recontruct a bleep of it. I guess I need to install dingo for futher testing. The detection of burning devices will have the same trouble in Pbackup.

-R for rockridge will be default in next release. Thank you.
One thing I don't understand. You have done it the same way that nathan did, creating a directory in /tmp with symlinks in the case of on-the-fly, but perhaps that isn't necessary. A list of directories and files can be supplied to be burnt, without needing to build a directory of symlinks -- it has been awhile, but I seem to remember that is possible.
This symlink-mirror is great for managing filesystem on CD/DVD. You can freely create new dirs on disc, rename links, reorganize linkstructure....And still all links points to the original file. I guess it would be absolutely possible to make graftpoints instead, but it would be a more complex task. And in the end, I don't see the huge drawback.

Sigmund

zigbert

#60 Post by zigbert »

Back after some dingo checking. I was not aware of that dingo has got wodim instead of cdrecord. Pburn uses cdrecord to check if disc is not closed for futher multisession, and to get the adress of previous session.

Code: Select all

SECTIONS="`cdrecord dev=$BURNDEV -msinfo 2> /dev/null | grep -F ","`"
With cdrecord this returns either adress or nothing. In dingo, with wodim it returns adress or it never returns. - If disc is not a valid multisession disc, wodim asks to reload disc, and then nothing more... If there where another way to check if disc is a multisession disk, Pburn could run a test before using wodim to return adress of last session.

But right now, I don't know any other way to detect a multisession disc...HELP

Sigmund