Can't install Pupget when running only with ramdisk?

Booting, installing, newbie

Can't install Pupget when running only with ramdisk?

#1 Post by Guest »

If you boot with Live-CD, and no pupfile (no nonvolatile writeable storage), why doesn't the pupget installer seem to be able to install anything. Well, it doesn't complain, and it says it has finished installing, but then nothing is there when it is done. I mean, I understand that it wont be saved when I reboot, but it might be nice to be able to carry a minimal LiveCD, boot the computer, connect to the network, and install the rest of the packages I need to do the work I am needing to do. Is it supposed to be able to do this? Thanks.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

What do you mean 'nothing is there' ?

For things to appear in the menu you need to reset the windo manager.

Or do you mean that even when you try to run the installed applications from the console it says that 'command not found' or something like that?

#3 Post by Guest »

Sorry, I mean, the pupget installer runs, downloads the package, performs the installation steps, and completes with success message, but then it didn't really install anything. For example, I tried installing the Perl pupget package. After install, one would expect to be able to find "perl" somewhere on the system, usually /usr/bin/perl, or /usr/local/bin/perl on most systems but it wasn't there. Then I typed "perl" at the command line. Okay, I accepted that the package installer may not have modified my path. That's fine. I can do that if I can find where it installed. I have read a bit about how Puppy implements the unionfs filesystem for the /usr directory, and so I looked at ~root/.usr directory, and it was empty. Though I can't find it stated explicitly anywhere, I think I am coming to the conclusion that the unionfs structure must not be implemented when running in ram without the writeable pupfile and that perhaps because of this, pupget installs are not possible.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

yes, /usr is not writable when running in ramdisk.
I could fix that for 1.0.6.

#5 Post by Guest »

If not too much trouble, that would be an excellent feature, thanks!