1.0.5 bug: resolv.conf circular links

Please post any bugs you have found
Will

1.0.5 bug: resolv.conf circular links

#1 Post by Will »

Hi. I have just burned a Puppy 1.0.5 CD and am trying it out for the first time. It booted
fine, but I am having network problems. I have ADSL and used TkPPOE to set up networking. I specified DNS from Server, and had to disable synchronous mode to
connect. It connected, but DNS is not working. The cause (or symptom?) is that /etc/resolv.conf is a symbolic link to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, and /etc/ppp/resolv.conf is a symbolic link to ../resolv.conf.

Any insight on how to fix this?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Will, I don't know anything about the specifics of the problem you describe. It seems to me, maybe you could make your own resolv.conf in /etc

The format of the file is:

nameserver ipaddress (ipaddress format example: 127.0.0.1)
nameserver ipaddress
nameserver ipaddress

If it gets dynamically updated each time or removed on reboots, maybe you could change the name of the file and add instructions like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

cp -f /etc/myresolv /etc/resolv.conf

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

yes, I can't remember exactly, but this problem, and a solution, cam up
in the forum before -- it may be in the previous forum.
So, try searching for it.

I vaguely recall it was an awkward situation, needed a manual change
to the resolv.conf.

Will

#4 Post by Will »

Well, I have DNS working, but it's rather strange. First I tried to manually create a /etc/resolv.conf with nameservers I got from my ISP, but when I connected using RO-PPoE, the file reverted to being a link back to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, so I had the circular link problem again.

I then changed the DNS Setup option in RP-PPPoE from "From Server" to "Specify", and entered the DNS addresses. After connecting, DNS seems to be working all right, but when I look at /etc/resolv.conf, I see two different nameserver addresses than what I specified.

Another odd thing: hitting the "Stop" button in RP-PPPoE terminates (abruptly) the X-session. I can get back into it by typing startx, but I don't think it should do that.

I haven't tried rebooting yet to see if things still work.

- Will

MU

#5 Post by MU »

Hi,

There is a conflict with resolv.conf from 2 tools of puppy.

I deleted /etc/resolv.conf
and
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf

Then it worked fine for me.
I think I get the DNS-information from my provider.

To use my ADSL, I copied a working /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf from my mandrake to puppy.

Now I can start the connection with "adsl-start" (you can drag it from /usr/sbin to your Desktop in rox).
"adsl-stop" disconnects.

Mark