Puppy 2.16.1 Gxine volume control is weird

Using applications, configuring, problems
PaulBx1

Puppy 2.16.1 Gxine volume control is weird

#1 Post by PaulBx1 »

I am using Puppy 2.16.1 at the moment.

Sometimes I need to boost the volume of some youtube I am listening to with gxine, using the gxine volume control. If I leave it high, next time I boot the "woof, woof" almost blows my speakers out!

Why not use the taskbar volume control instead? Because it is sitting at 90% already so there is little "headroom".

It's strange to me that gxine controls the overall volume even when it is not running. It is strange that gxine retains its volume setting when the system is shut down, but the volume control on the taskbar does not, and goes back to 90%.

Is there any way to change this state of affairs? I'd prefer the gxine volume control to only control gxine sound, and to go back to 50% when it is closed (or re-opened). I'd also like the taskbar volume control to default to 50% rather than 90%, and for 50% to be something that is actually reasonably audible. That way I can increase the volume if I need it and not be immediately bumping into 100 percent. I'd (maybe) like the taskbar volume control to be persistent as well, although that is less important.

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

For starting your system with a specific volume, try:
setvol 0 50 in .xinitrc.
Type setvol in a console for help.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

It looks like you can set Gxine's startup volume from within Gxine. Go to File > Configure > Preferences, choose "Advanced" for your experience level, open the audio tab, then the volume tab, set the volume you want Gxine to open with, then check "Remember volume."

Let us know if that works, will you?

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Then I'd probably edit the config file

from

# startup audio volume
# [0..100], default: 50
#audio.volume.mixer_volume:50

# restore volume level at startup
# bool, default: 0
#audio.volume.remember_volume:0

to

# startup audio volume
# [0..100], default: 50
audio.volume.mixer_volume:70

# restore volume level at startup
# bool, default: 0
audio.volume.remember_volume:1

Hope you aren't throughly confused by now.

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

Bruce, can you tell me what config file you are talking about? And give me a hint what this change is supposed to do?

Flash, I was hopeful about this change. I'd been in preferences before but didn't notice that. Anyway it doesn't really work. Yes, if you set the volume high, exit gxine, and restart it you get it set back to 50% again. However if you set the volume high, and just reboot, the "woof, woof" comes out very loud still. So across reboots it doesn't work.

Trapster, your item works as advertised. However it does not give an increased volume for 50%. In other words to hear anything at all I have to move it back up to around 90% anyway, and then again there is little headroom left. What I need is the default volume set at 50%, with that corresponding to a reasonable volume that I can hear, so that 10% would be very quiet and 90% would be very loud.

I imagine all Puppys are like this.