Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Oct 2019, 11:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Which Puppy version or derivative "just works" best?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 03:11    Post subject:  Which Puppy version or derivative "just works" best?  

I personally stopped at Puppy 2.16.1. I don't recall the reasons I decided not to upgrade but it was something like a flakey gxine in 3.xx, maybe drivers missing in others, etc.

Yet 2.16.1 has its faults. It doesn't run Flash 9 very well, yet many sites now require at least Flash 8 (I have the Flash 7/9 switcher). Or I run a long youtube and the (Seamonkey) browser dies in the middle of it. Or I pull up a blog with a lot of youtubes on it and the browser gets very slow. Or epdf doesn't display the text in some of my pdf files (fortunately that ancient acroread dotpup still works, sort of). Or gnumeric is an old version with a fair amount of basic spreadsheet functionality missing.

I have put up with this for a while, but it is starting to get to me lately.

I was just wondering if there are opinions out there about the most bullet-proof puppy. I mean reliability, not fancy new features, or a pretty look. I just want one that works. I'd certainly consider any derivative like Muppy, any "service packs" folks have cooked up, etc.

I realize some things are hardware/driver-specific problems, so even the most reliable puppy won't work on every machine.

Last edited by PaulBx1 on Thu 27 Dec 2007, 11:39; edited 1 time in total
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 05:10    Post subject:  

For computers with 256MB or more. (you can use it with less)
Contains Xara, Kompozer, Gimpshop and uses ""IceWm" and is one step up from your 2.16 preferred version
based on Puppy 2.17

I am using it now and find it the most reliable of my Tmxxine series
(which I try to change from the standard Puppy as little as possible)
144MB

http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=LinuxTmxxineDownload

raffy

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 07:21    Post subject: good question  

Good question but the answer is quite predictable. Puplet X will of course be recommended by the author of X. Smile

Tempestuous and pakt have worked on 2.02Regression (minipup), and this has worked well. See http://minipc.org/pup or http://bexa.org/pup .

Now, if you ask Sage, it will be 1.08. Smile I tend to agree with this observation, just don't use your fancy USB drives with it.

Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 07:44    Post subject:  

I've got some experience with Puppy derivatives, but wish not to comment.

I don't mean offense, but I resent the topic title for reasons I'm about to specify.

Which Puppy version or derivative "just works"?

There is a clear implied implication that some versions don't just work. I'd take it one step further as the implication indicates a need to search and discover which ones do 'just work'.

Some Puppy problems are due to winmodems, some video / monitor combination, sound, and the frustration of getting wifi working. None of which I've encountered. But these have presented a level of frustration for those who have had these problems. And they usually get things working (if possible) and if they ask for help and persist.

The very concept of having Puppy 'just work' should imply that you as the user are NOT modifying it. If you do modify a working Puppy and then it doesn't work, that's a different story altogether.

Is there a Puppy version that will just work with all my modifications and additions? I think the answer there lies with the user and how adept s/he is with modifying Puppy, as well as the modifications themselves.

The last version I've installed for full time personal use is 2.17 and it just worked. I've spent countless hours carefully modifying it and it still just works.

Should I recommend 2.17? I'd say not, because I don't think the fact that my Puppy 'just works' is particular to 2.17.

And because it works so well, I'm not in any hurry to update to the newest. (I've got other Puppy's installed, but not as my primary OS. They work also.)
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 08:02    Post subject:  

Another think I'd like to mention.

I have experience with installing Windows version 3.1, 3.11, 95 retail, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE, NT4 and W2K Pro.

I never found an occasion where any of these just worked. The peripheral drivers needed to be located and installed. Sometimes it was tough work, sometimes fairly smooth.

All totaled, we are dealing with a professional company and considerable expense was spent over the years - yet they never just worked.

Along comes free (as in beer) Puppy and I find that more often than not it does something the other OS never did, it recognizes and configures the peripherals properly.

The difference is such that I can make a Full Install of Puppy usually in less than an hour, compared with a day's work installing the other OS. The main problem being the availability of the drivers. Not to mention how many full reboots are needed.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 10:49    Post subject:  

more clues here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=155353&search_id=1092267874#155353

I would suggest that reliability is often MORE of an issue for most end users than speed (a developer issue). Most people are running on machines capable of running bloatware. So most versions of Puppy are OK.

The most reliable of the 1 series was 1.08r1 (produced by Barry)
The icing came when we created 1.09CE and added Firefox and Geany

I agree that the most mature and stable of the 2.00 series was the last one 2.17r1

The 3 series is only on its. 2cnd revision and when/if 3.02 that will be the most reliable (to date) of the 3 series.

So I would look for a puplet (such as Tmxxine Shard 2.17) based on 2.17 or as Bruce suggests modify and tweak 2.17 itself..

Good luck whatever you decide Smile

PaulBx1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 11:56    Post subject:  

Well I suspected this would be a sensitive topic. Smile

Quote:
There is a clear implied implication that some versions don't just work.

I have modified the subject to make clear that's not what the intention was.

I've gotten the answer that all work, and the answer that the ones that work best are the personal derivatives of each proponent.

Ignoring for the moment that the particular hardware throws in complications, it's pretty likely that there is some difference between versions in reliability. Or that one service pack or personal derivative makes a version even more reliable. I was just hoping to get a clue about that.

I wanted to add that I'm not averse to tweaking a version to make it work on my hardware. This only becomes a problem if the information for doing that is not readily available. My own skills in tweaking an OS are fairly limited, so I have to depend on others, or google of course. Or forum searches, although that is one other irritation: forum searches just don't seem to work very well.

I don't want to compare with Windows (I'm done with that!) or other distros. I like Puppy and want to stay with it. It is my primary OS.

Maybe the answer to some of my problems is better hardware. I want an encrypted pupsave so that implies no swap, which implies I need a lot of memory. I have 320MB, maybe I should get a new laptop or boost it to 512MB. It could be I'm just running out of memory occasionally, although I've been suspecting memory leaks for a while (don't know how to check for that). I don't have an issue with modems because I don't use one any more. My wireless setup is satisfactory and I also use ethernet when convenient, which also works fine.

Another way to approach this is, what are the biggest irritations with 3.01? I'm guessing bloat, and a semi-functional gxine. Well, bloat just means I run out of memory sooner, but 512MB would fix that. Gxine really needs work though. It's never really been bulletproof in any puppy I know of, but it's really unusable (except for masochists) in 3.01. I sure do like the feature of slackware package availability although that's almost more theoretical than real for me (I don't fill up my machine with whiz-bang applications, just stick mostly with standard stuff). So anyway the path of least resistance still seems to be Puppy 2.xx for me.

Last edited by PaulBx1 on Thu 27 Dec 2007, 12:42; edited 1 time in total
Trobin

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 12:35    Post subject:  

Interesting question. Is there a version
"Which Puppy version or derivative "just works"? "
and the implication that
"There is a clear implied implication that some versions don't just work"
Sad to say that there are versions of Puppy that are more suited to one set of hardware than others. That means that some versions "don't just work" on the hardware that is available.

Quote:
The very concept of having Puppy 'just work' should imply that you as the user are NOT modifying it. If you do modify a working Puppy and then it doesn't work, that's a different story altogether. Is there a Puppy version that will just work with all my modifications and additions?

I think the answer there lies with the user and how adept s/he is with modifying Puppy, as well as the modifications themselves.

So it's not puppy but the user that is at fault. I think it's a combination. In my experience nt all versions of Puppy works well with different sets of hardware. I have one computer that Puppy 106 plays well with, but any more modern versions is just frustrating in terms of speed. I have another more modern computer that that the 1.xx series doesn't play well with. The 2.xx, 3.xxseries work okay with the exception that I can't print with it. I could tweak it, spend time to find a cups driver for it, try and get it going. In fact I did and was unable to get it working. No matter though, much easier to boot XP and do my printing there.

Some users are just not into tweaking as much as others.

My suggestion is - try various versions, and settle on the one that works the best on the equipment you have.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 12:43    Post subject:  

Quote:
the ones that work best are the personal derivatives of each proponent.

That's not just the parental effect either. I created Pizzapup with myself in mind, so of course it will be one of versions best suited for my use. It did stop "just working" for me though, back when I added my second graphics card. Now whenever I make a fresh install, I have to make a very small manual change to /etc/X11/xorg.conf before X will start. It needs a slightly bigger change to actually use both monitors, but that's mostly a copy/paste job. When I get the time to make a new Pizzapup I'll have to see what I can do about that.

So maybe you found your answer: Build a custom Puppy that does just work for you. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: