Formatting sda

Using applications, configuring, problems
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Formatting sda

#1 Post by Lobster »

I have created a partition on a sda keydrive - how can I format it to copy files on and off it (preferably in DOS format)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 03 Oct 2005, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gnomen

#2 Post by gnomen »

You make a filesystem I guess. Works for me at least

Code: Select all

mkdosfs /dev/xxx
Maybe you need to put in some options, I don't know... Since puppy lacks the man pages do a google for "man mkdosfs"
fake it until you make it

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

:) Thanks Gnomen - will try that tomorrow - Klhrevolutionist also helped and we got some results but this may be even better (it may be that the device is not working it is a joint USB keydrive and MP3 player . . .)

thanks again
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Mazzo

#4 Post by Mazzo »

Lobster, be careful! Some mp3 players / combined usb memory have the operating system built into the drive. The software for playing mp3's is in a hidden partition. A complete format can wipe that so you end up with a memory stick but no mp3 software.

I know they are not all the same, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Could have been done already . . . :?
We are just trying to get it working even as a memory stick . . .
- thanks for the warning . . .
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

gnomen

#6 Post by gnomen »

Mazzo wrote:in a hidden partition
:oops: can this be the case with regular CF-cards as well? I mean, hidden stuff... I just spent my tax-return on a Sandisk eXtremIII 1GB CF-card and after two hrs of tinkering it is broken. Well, as close as I can tell it is anyway...

The install didn't work out, it stops at not finding the usr_cram.fs. No big deal. So I was doing this and doing that, suddenly the boot-progess asks me for a password and suddenly there is no write access to the card at all. I can't even format it any longer, not with linux (fdisk actually tells me there are 4 partitions on the card now, none of them following the norm..), not with windows, not with the Sandisk rescue (raw format) utillity and not with any other 3rd party utillity I have access to :shock:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

I had a disgo which had software with a hidden partition giving password control (about 10 meg) I wiped it. I was able to access the full amount* - never have anything on it that I care about protecting by password . . . :)

Luckily the disgo website is very good and you can download the software and read FAQS etc . . . See if your diskdrive manufacturer has a website.

* Was not able to plug in my keydrive and setup Puppy on it - have done this previously. Forget the reason why - some error message ("You do not have a brain" - I think it was) :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Sooty2

#8 Post by Sooty2 »

I have previously played with an other type of "on key linux"....I think it was called Flash linux?
If I remember correctly they split the key into a couple of ext2 partitions for their install.
They used a thing called "sfdisk". It could see a lot more than the normal fdisk, and I can recall using it rectify the hidden structure of one of my Lexars that nothing else would look at.
Hope this helps....

gnomen

#9 Post by gnomen »

My broken CF card was infact a refurbish of an earlier returned card. Pretty amazing really since I paid big bucks for it. I scanned it with a rescue program and found it was full of old deleted files, photos, of a most peculiar nature :shock: I told Sandisk the story and got a new one by courier today. Puppy is up and running again