Alternatives of growing the Puppy

Promote Puppy !
raffy

Alternatives of growing the Puppy

#1 Post by raffy »

Linux distros can be developed and promoted in different ways. One way is via the owner (V-OWN) and another is via an organization (V-ORG).

I recall Chief Barry mentioning (in this section) that Slackware essentially followed V-OWN. I personally know of two Linux distros that followed V-OWN, aLinux and Slax. I have followed aLinux since its days as Peanut Linux, but stopped using it in 2004 when Lamppix came along (so that must be the third, Lamppix). Just before I got into Puppy, I used Slax, so I was able to interact with its owner, Tomas. Slax is thriving now following the V-OWN model.

That leaves us with the question, "Why bother with an org?" The first answer I can venture is Barry's own preference. He gave it a "Go" in his personal statement.

The second answer I can give is based on my perception of how computers can be mass-distributed to as many people as possible, which is, follow a nonprofit model. If the company promoting a product or service is nonprofit, the people in positions of authority can not challenge its motives (directly, at least). And as to the end-user, I can look him/her in the eye and say "I have done my best for you, haven't I?" (which, based on my experience, may still not be taken seriously - in the end, it's my conscience that will tell me that I did the right thing based on my limited capabilities).

As to becoming a member, we join a cause without requiring that it is first a perfect model of what we like it to be. We join it and see if it it can be steered to the direction that helps most everyone in its membership. It is accountable to that membership, after all.

Now, as to issues about who is new or old, who is better or just good, or who talks or does more, these are people's feelings that we may never see coming up to the surface. But they have to be addressed as seriously as other Puppy matters, and we have to give it time (to heal hurt feelings, rotate positions, etc). There is a place for everyone in whatever way the Puppy group goes.
Last edited by raffy on Tue 04 Oct 2005, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Amen, brother. :D

raffy

Volunteers

#3 Post by raffy »

Thanks, Flash.

Many incognito volunteers (like you, of course) are also part of Puppy, and I guess there are many reasons why they prefer to be so. Maybe we set aside a day (or week) each year to celebrate a Day Of Volunteers (DOVe, ?).

One day I can just become incognito, too :D

PS - am starting a thread on documentation, and will mention in that thread your work in the Beginner's section (as one of starting points). Thanks again.

J_Rey

#4 Post by J_Rey »

+1

Good to hear more on that. Was wanting more clarity on the necessity of following V-ORG instead of a bunch of independent volunteers sharing resources (similar to our current multiple server setup). It believe it would be better for the Puppy Linux Foundation to be an organization which would help better with organizing and so on.