Audio on Dell Inspiron 3500

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
rericsson

Audio on Dell Inspiron 3500

#1 Post by rericsson »

Has anyone been able to configure audio in Puppy 2.17 on a Dell Inspiron 3500? I've tried a number of different things in alsaconf with no success. Alsaconf finds the nm256 card, but it does not work (no sound at all). I've seen some suggestions here and there to try some of the legacy drivers, but I can't get them to work either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rericsson

solution for audio on Dell Inspiron 3500

#2 Post by rericsson »

I found this http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-284405.html on configuring sound in Unbuntu and tried it by cutting and pasting the suggested settings to the end of my modprobe.conf file, commenting out any other sound related config and setting the sound card to auto in the BIOS.

I restarted the system and it works - sort of. The volume is fairly low and the sound is choppy, but it will play sounds. I'm not getting any sound from Flash in Sea Monkey. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

lonesomedove

Audio

#3 Post by lonesomedove »

I use a Thinkpad 390 with the same neomagic chip. Someone out there suggested using the opl3sa2 driver. I get sound with any Linux distro with this legacy driver. Works for me in the setup wizard on all puppies.

sindi

Dell Inspiron 3500 neomagic sound with Puppy 4.2.1

#4 Post by sindi »

Both drivers sort of work but there is a loud chirping sound and after a few seconds the sound stops. The sound works correctly in Windows 2K.