Chubby1.0.5 released?; Need suggestions for project

Using applications, configuring, problems
moXXXXXX

Chubby1.0.5 released?; Need suggestions for project

#1 Post by moXXXXXX »

Hi,
I read that Puppy 1.0.5 has been released. As I am doing this project with the computers for Bangladesh I am keen to put on the latest stable release. I am using Puppy Chubby though. Has Puppy Chubby been released as 1.0.5 too? Also, have help files been updated now that the release if 1.0.5 (I only ask as I have a recent copy of them stored locally on disk that I used as a reference and will look a new version of the files if they have been updated).
Cheers,
p.s I am working on the script for the computers I am working with. The script will partition the drives, format them, and then copy across the Puppy Chubby files. It's attached as a zipped text file. If anyone has any input it would be most appreciated. It's very rough and wont run yet but I am calling for ideas (even formatting/layout ones!)
p.s.s the biggest barrier to this project at the moment is shipping the computers in to Bangladesh and getting through all the bureaucratic of Bangladeshi customs - if anyone has had any experience with this and could offer me some advice I'd love to hear.
Attachments
bootscript.zip
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

MoHooHoo wrote: If anyone has any input it would be most appreciated. It's very rough and wont run yet but I am calling for ideas (even formatting/layout ones!)
My first piece of advice: Always have a running version and build uppon that one.

Create a list of things you want the script to do (tasks). From the most obvious and mandatory to the most outrageous ideas. Then sort that list based on priority (Not two things should have the same priority). You can add new tasks along the way. Resort your priorities regularly. I'm sure priorities will change diring the process. Sometimes the priority is based on how much that functionality is wanted, sometimes it's because it's a prerequisite for another wanted feature.

Start implementing each task based on priority.

You will always have a working script that you can test with. If during the process you find bugs, Add them to the task list and reprioritize accordingly. (Now you know why professional developers leave known bugs in their code. Other tasks had higher priority).

You'll see that this way of working is more rewarding than the bigbang approach.

If you need to send the computers before the script is 100% completed (it will never be), at least you will have the most important features on it.

Enough about Agile practices

I will have a look at your script and I will provide feedback. Right now it will be just style.

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

After a quick look at your script I think I can be more specific.

I would recommend to develop the script in a computer with a spare secondary HDD that you can use to test the script.

The task list will look something like the following. The priority is based on what I interpret as your goals: to setup a working HDD. Remember, The following list is not the program flow, It is the development plan.

Code: Select all

1. Write Partition table with a single partition
2. Copy Puppy files
3. Install Grub to the MBR
4. Ask the user confirm installation
5. For disks larger than 1 GB create three partitions
6. Ask user for HDD to use
...(tasks 7 to 19)
20. Present script as a GUI wizard.
21. Show a sad monkey face when something goes wrong.
103. Add speach recognition to the script.
Here are some considerations:
- For task 1 to 3 you will have to assume some Hardcoded defaults
- After the third task you could actually send the script if you had to. The rest is just window dressing.
- I am giving two examples of (tasks 20, 21)things you may be thinking about but are not essential, so the priority goes down.
- I am giving an example of something that sounds outrageous but you may think could be done. I add it because in certain cases, like working with disabled people, something that seems outageous will be bumped up in the priority list.

I hope you get the idea.

dewdrop

Chubby 1.0.5

#4 Post by dewdrop »

Hi MoHooHoo,

I don't know if you have downloaded Chubby 1.0.5 yet, but here are some sites that apparently have it.

dewdrop

Chubby is available for download from these two sites, courtesy of Normen Stengel and Babbs:

http://puppy.nstsoftware.com/puppy-chub ... .iso∞

http://www.puppy.wise-guy.us/puppy-chub ... .iso∞

Please also do an md5sum check:
http://puppy.nstsoftware.com/puppy-chub ... .txt∞
http://www.puppy.wise-guy.us/puppy-chub ... .txt∞

You can also get the Chubby Puppy 1.0.5 torrent∞ (more torrents).