Inkscape vs Sodipodi: which is better?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jcagle

Inkscape vs Sodipodi: which is better?

#1 Post by jcagle »

I have experience with Inkscape, but not much with Sodipodi, which I see comes with PuppyLinux.

I'd like to know your opinioins...pros and cons of both Inkscape and Sodipodi, and which you find better.

This thread it probably more suited for those who are into graphic design, and I'm sure there are some people here who are into that.

I'm going to school for my associates degree in digital media so I am heavily into graphic and web site design. I'm hoping to get some fellow students into open source software alternatives.

jcagle

#2 Post by jcagle »

Oh, and if someone could give me the correct pronunciation of "sodipodi" that would be great.

keenerd

#3 Post by keenerd »

Inkscape is very big and heavy, but can do everything.

Sodipodi is lighter, but has one of the most inconsistant user interfaces I have seen.

Dia (another one in Puppy) has an amazingly smooth UI, but this is because it has few features. It's not a good vector editor, but it's a good introduction to vectors.

jcagle

#4 Post by jcagle »

ah, quick reply (as usual on this board). Thanks. I really don't need much of an intro to vector graphics, as this is my third quarter at this school (I'm at the School of Communication Arts in Raleigh) and am quite familiar with Adobe Illustrator now. I love Illustrator and so far I'm a big fan of Inkscape as well. I'd like to see more compatability with some of the Illustrator features. Inkscape seems to handle things like leading and tracking quite differently from Illustrator. But I'm definitely a fan of Inkscape so far.

I played with Sodipodi a little bit, but the interface did not seem quite as intuitive.

flavour

#5 Post by flavour »

What about OpenOffice's Draw
- this is a vector editor...

(Available via PupGet, or native with Chubby :) )

F

jcagle

#6 Post by jcagle »

I've used OpenOffice's Draw, but it doesn't really fit my needs honestly.

And it won't save in SVG format either...at least not the version I've got. It has an SGV format...I don't know what that is supposed to be though. Plus I just wasn't quite as happy with the features or the quality of graphics I was able to produce with OpenOffice's Draw.

By the way, the OpenOffice I'm using is in Windows right now, maybe it's a little different from the Linux version. When I get a computer to myself again, I'm definitely using the Linux version.

Overall, I like OpenOffice, but not for vector graphics.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Sodipodi is very powerful, it's just the user interface that puts people off.
I find that it doesn't take much time to become familiar with it.
What makes it worthwhile putting in Puppy rather than Inkscape is the very
small size.

jcagle

#8 Post by jcagle »

Well I'll have to play with Sodipodi a bit more. I've seen some really cool graphics made with it, but the user interface just baffled me a bit.