FlightPup ver 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
JB4x4

FlightPup ver 1

#1 Post by JB4x4 »

FlightPup is a live CD that started out as Fat Free Pup 3.00. I have added in the 3D drivers and compiz script from tombh's wNOP (with a little text editing - to reflect FlightPup/FlightGear), and included JS Calibrator for joystick control. To finish it out I compiled FlightGear 1.0.0 and FGRun 1.0.0 (GUI for FlightGear) and included it in the menu under fun and on the desktop as an icon.

FlightGear is an open source flight simulator that has had years of development and has now reached its 1.0 mark.

By default the live CD runs pfix=ram,noramsfs by default. "noramsfs" is a little extra I added to keep pup_300.sfs from loading to ram (saves on ram usage).

All this in a 288 meg ISO.

Requirements:
Newer PC - probably 3 to 5 years old - 1 GHz+ for speed
3D capable graphics card - nVidia, ATI, some Intel
512+ meg of ram (not sure on this as I personally have 1 gig)

Links:
FlightPup-v1.iso
http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/jb4x4/iso/FlightPup-v1.iso

md5sum
c1e485f6ca6300d6af9ae18d2d4628a1 FlightPup-v1.iso

To Do List:
-Add browser to access flightgear.org, etc. - (Suggestions?)
-Still undecided if "noramsfs" is right for live CD, it runs slower, but usable.

Very Special Thanks to the following:

Barry Kauler, for Puppy Linux
Big Bass, for Fat Free Pup - a nice small ISO to build on
Tombh, for his Compiz-Fusion wizard to automate the 3D graphics install
Caneri, for his generous bandwidth

And of course all the dedicated programmers and testers at www.FlightGear.org

Happy Flying,
JB

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: FlightPup ver 1

#2 Post by Lobster »

JB4x4 wrote: Happy Flying,
JB
I always knew I could fly.

It is a massive program.
Seemed to be fast, efficient and working on my
Duron 1200/Nvidia setup.
Many thanks for putting this together. 8)
Have you notified the Flight gear crew?

Anyone else flying? :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

JB4x4

#3 Post by JB4x4 »

Lobster,

Thank you for testing. I have notified flightgear.org via their forums, so we may see a few visitors.

Any thoughts on the browser to be included?

JB

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

My favourite at the moment is the Firefox 3.00 Beta.

However sfs and .pets of the latest 2.11 might be better. Or if you prefer Opera go for that . . .

However how about considering a yet to fly flock . . .
That is the Flock v1 browser (just download and run the installer)
http://www.flock.com/

or perhaps hv3
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/hv3

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

smooth

#5 Post by smooth »

Could anyone upload a screenshot ? It would take 5 hours to download from where I am and I'm very curious how it looks like.

JB4x4

#6 Post by JB4x4 »

Here's a couple of screenshots:

For more check out http://www.flightgear.org/Gallery-v1.0/

Lobster,

I tried out a few of the lightweight browsers, Dillo, hv3, and Netsurf, but none displayed the flightgear.org website correctly (has javascript menus). I will probably look into Firefox or Seamonkey.
Attachments
desktop2.png
Getting started with the FlightGear launcher, JS Calibrate, and JS Demo
(111.7 KiB) Downloaded 4285 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Hv3 is I believe working towards javascript support but that is not implemented yet. Hv3 works in your version but will not work in Dingo as tkl is not available.

Hv3 support Puppy
http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html#info

As displaying the flightgear site is important, Firefox would be a good choice. I seem to remember running Flightgear a couple of years back on Puppy (without a 3D card). It needs that 3D card. Flightgear is quite easy to use (for a flight sim and I am pleased to report I can fly a UFO (could come in useful). :wink:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

tony

Flightgear

#8 Post by tony »

Hi,

with AMD Unichrome graphics I have had to jump through a lot of hoops to get Flightgear going.

However the screen is pretty broken up and despite using js calibrator the joystick is not working properly.

Googling I find hundreds of fg users are having the same problems.

Can anyone point to a Simple fg setup tutorial.

Regards Tony.

tony

#9 Post by tony »

After more googling it seems that /root/.joystick produced by js calibrator is not used by Flightgear and must be used as a guide for writing the joystick xml file.

More hoops to jump through.

Tony

JB4x4

#10 Post by JB4x4 »

tony,

Thank you for testing.

For JS-Calibrator to work properly, calibrate the joystick, save and close, then unplug and plug back in the joystick (usb versions). Everything should be okay. I had found this googling, and it works for me. (FlightGear/JS-Calibrate bug)

I thought I had this in the FlightGear notes on the desktop, but I should probably make it more clear.

You can also run the program js_demo from the command line (desktop link doesn't work, bug). This is a FlightGear supplied program to test joystick functions.

JB

tony

Flightgear

#11 Post by tony »

Hi JB,

What I did:-

in /etc/rc.d/rclocal load joystick modules.

modprobe usbhid
modprobe joydev

From tempestuous's posts:-
for AMD Unichrome graphics use petget package manager to install :-

xorg_DRI_MODULES-7.2
xorg_libs_tiny-7.2
xorg_OPENGL-7.2

Install dotpup glxgears-pup1x which includes glxinfo.

add Load "dri" and if necessary Load "glx" under section modules to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
restart and use glxinfo to see if active x is working.

I read your notes and unplugging the joystick did not work for me. Probably because I use an analogue to usb converter.

I had to build a new directory (Padix) in usr/share/FlightGear/input/Joysticks/ and put an xml file in it rebuilt from the template in Joysticks.

Then in /usr/share/FlightGear/joysticks.xml I added this line into <property list>

<js n="0" include="Input/Joysticks/Padix/gameport_to_usb.xml"/>

I can now use flightgear although it's window is not right.

clicking on FlightGear GUI produces a complete mess with the aircraft split into two separate rotating sections. I still require help on this.

Thanks for putting the package together JB, I really enjoyed piloting the Piper Cub over San Francisco.

Regards. Tony

prehistoric

Unichrome graphics

#12 Post by prehistoric »

@tony,
If you check, I believe you'll find Unichrome comes from Via. Just to help people search for this topic. http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?Pa ... bCatID=184

John Lewis

#13 Post by John Lewis »

hello JB,

Thought I'd let you know how I got on with FlightPup.

On my old machine with Nvidia card the display worked perfectly and I could fly with keyboard. Unfortunately the USB joystick was not recognised for some reason. Also its a slow machine.

On my fast computer with ATI card GLX was not present for some reason but the joystick test program showed the joystick to work.

Same result on Laptop bu I expected that.

Seems I will have to transplant the Nvidia card as I would really like to get this working.

I do have a live Sabayon disk with Flightgear on it and it works in the ATI carded box.

Thanks for taking to time to produce the puplet.

John Lewis

ndujoe1

Flight Gear

#14 Post by ndujoe1 »

Thanks for making the Flightgear iso. It runs fine on my Pentium III with 256 MB of ram and Nvidia card. Now I will spend the near term learning how not to kill myself when I take off :)

big_bass

Re: FlightPup ver 1

#15 Post by big_bass »

Lobster wrote:
I always knew I could fly.
Anyone else flying? :D
JB4x4 congrats! FlightGear is a creative use of blending a small OS and a large fully functional flight simulator and "still have an OS in the background " if you need it I hope this inspires others to create ..

thumbs up and clear skies enjoy your flight

watch out for flying Lobsters :lol:

big_bass

jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

JB4x4

Thanks for this pup! It run flawlessly on my desktop, an Athlon64 X2 with Nvidia embedded graphics (w/o joystick - I don't have one) ... though I am not yet able to live beyond 1 minutes yet :p
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

TheProphet

#17 Post by TheProphet »

Now this, I'm going to try.

I'm also wondering, since they're all standard image maps, if the Scenery from MS Flight would load. Just don't tell Bill Gates. It's about the only part of his empire that actually works, usually at least. Mostly because of the scenery files.

And of course they cut it loose. Typical that their flagship gets scuttled.

And my RAM is close to the lower limit, and plus I like the convenience and performance of a HD install run from grub...

I'll find out of course but it would be exceptionally bitchin' kewl if it will boot from a scsi partition.

If you don't hear back on it from me it's because I'm flying your simulator.

I do expect I shall be happy with it.
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

TheProphet

#18 Post by TheProphet »

Sadness. :(

My graphics card is an nVidia riva TNT2 and the only nVidia drivers were for GeForce.

Tried all 5 combinations of compiz and xfce.

How would I remaster to insert the correct driver?

I've used the correct one before, just not in Puppy and it is fantastic.

BTW it's considered a Legacy Module and you have to dig through the nVidia site to get to it.

fyujj

#19 Post by fyujj »

The 71.xx.xx series are for tnt2 cards.
Here (user:puppy, password:linux) you find one for kernel 2.6.25. But I think this Flightgear puplet is older...

EDIT- found it! Here (get the NVIDIA-718601-k2.6.21.7.pet package).

TheProphet

Re: Flight Gear

#20 Post by TheProphet »

ndujoe1 wrote:Thanks for making the Flightgear iso. It runs fine on my Pentium III with 256 MB of ram and Nvidia card. Now I will spend the near term learning how not to kill myself when I take off :)
Taking off is the easy part. Landing is inevitable, landing wheels down and cockpit up isn't.

I used MS Flight and a Sopwith Camel and picked out 4 airports near here, 3 in Fremont county and one in Guffey Colorado.

The one in Guffey you have a ridge about 400 meters off the end of the runway, so you have to really pull back the stick to clear it.

There's a Fremont County Airport, really easy take off and landing, (that's the name of it) and two that are like 10-15 km (as the crow flies) and about 4 times that (as the dog trots) uphill from it.

Those are the ones that will give you the best practice take-off and landing.