Toshiba Satellite Pro freezes, gives Kernel panic at boot

Booting, installing, newbie
NathanL

Toshiba Satellite Pro freezes, gives Kernel panic at boot

#1 Post by NathanL »

This is my first post!

Anyway, I am trying to install Puppy Linux version 1.5 (newest one) on my Laptop, which is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT Pentium 133Mhz with 32Mb of RAM and a 1.36Gig HD. Not top of the line, but the price I got it for was, well, worth it. Anyway, I have Windows 98 installed, but I want to install Linux on it. Since DSL isn't working, and my primary Linux Distro, Ubuntu, is simply too big, I thought'd I'd give Puppy a shot. Well, I've run into some issues.

First, I downloaded the newest version, Puppy Linux 1.5 Mozilla iso, the md5sum thingie checked out, then I burnt it into a blacnk CD-R using GnomeBaker as a CD Image, nice and slow, at speed 4, everything went fine. Then I put it in the Laptop, crank it up, go to the screen with the cute little Puppy, everything seems fine, I press enter at the boot thingie, the Kernel starts loading, uncompressing Linux, and all that good stuff. Then I go through a bunch of info, not quite sure what it is, everything goes fine, until I get to this line, then it stops installing, and my laptop sits there, the Capslock flashing, until I do a hard restart.

Code: Select all

<0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
This has occurred, even through all 3 boot options, Enter, 2, and 3. Can anybody help me here?

Thanks in advance!

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Have you tried your CD in other machines, also you may need more RAM or a swap partition.